Military Aircraft Over Northern New Jersey, 06-NOV

A formation of three military jets made four or five passes over my neighborhood just after noon today, 06-NOV. Seeing ‘fighter jets’ around here is unusual enough, seeing them make multiple passes is something I have never experienced.

I only had the 135mm lens mounted on my camera so this is a tightly cropped and somewhat enlarged view from one of their passes. Is there enough detail here to confirm what type of aircraft these are? I think they are F-18’s but I am not certain.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b444/CyrKrtsMan/Aviation/IMG_4554_cenh2048_zpstfnwj5w4.jpg

Also, since this is so unusual, is there anyway of knowing why they were in the area?

Anyway, thank you very much in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.
Regards,
CyrKrtsMan

The Giants were playing today. It could have been part of the pre-game.
There was also the NYC Marathon.

jonhawkes2030,
Thank you for your response. I never thought of cover for the Marathon or a fly-by at the stadium and either are far better than most of the alternatives.

In the meantime, can you/anyone tell me if I guessed the aircraft type correctly?

Again, thank you.
Regards,
CyrKrtsMan

Single Vertical stabliser, I’m guessing F16.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_D … ing_Falcon
af.mil/AboutUs/FactSheets/Di … alcon.aspx

The F14, 15, 18, 22 and 35 all have two.

jonhawkes2030,
First of all, thank you very much for your help with my inquiries.

Second, I apologize for the bad/deceiving angle of the photograph posted above. This shot, taken a few seconds after the one above, clearly shows the double vertical stabilizers you mention.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b444/CyrKrtsMan/Aviation/IMG_4559_cenh2048_zpslk6pw8j6.jpg

Due to trees, houses, and the fact that I was standing at the bottom of a small hill, I was unable to get a shot of the front of these aircraft. Since these aircraft are somewhat ‘rare’ in my neighborhood, I expect another opportunity within the next twenty years or so.

Again, thanks for your assistance.
Regards,
CyrKrtsMan

I think that F14s (Top Gun) have been retired.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-14_Tomcat

The F15 is still in service
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell … F-15_Eagle

Same for the FA18
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell … -18_Hornet

F22/35 are pretty new so I am sure they are not retired.
I am not great at recognising fixed wing so would have to defer to someone else.

jonhawkes2030,
Thank you very much again for your responses to my inquiries.

Given the information you’ve provided, I’m going to stick with my guess of these being the F/FA-18. This is based mostly on the shape of the horizontal stabilizers, their elevators, and their relationship to the vertical stabilizers. There are also some subtle differences with the position of the air intake and where some of the avionic equipment is mounted, wing tip vs vertical stabilizer. Still, it is just a guess so I am open to being corrected.

Again, thanks for your time. I enjoyed our conversation.
Regards,
CyrKrtsMan

jonhawkes2030,
You were right on the money, right out of the box.

NY Giants Just Gave Some Vets the Respect They Deserve

The NY Giants were offering a ‘Salute To Service’ this past Sunday and the F-18’s were part of the pregame ceremonies.

Mystery solved, thanks to you and to Google. It wasn’t easy for some reason. I guess you have to know how to ask these questions. I did find another video on YouTube and some tin-foil-hat stuff on another site where they thought the aircraft were armed.

In any event, thanks again for your assistance and support.
Regards,
CyrKrtsMan

Im 100% sure those are F18s

Correct. One step further and you can tell they’re F-18E Super Hornets’ due to the air intakes being angular and not semi-circular.

FWIW - F-14’s are all retired. F-15’s vertical stab’s are perpendicular to the fuselage. You can see these are canted a bit.