ARF call signs

Friend of mine did an animal rescue flight. He flew IFR

ARF0JH was the tail number.

Is ARF call sign a recognized sign in Flight Aware?

It’s not in our list of codes, but more importantly it doesn’t appear that it has been unfiltered by the FAA. The ARF organization needs to contact the FAA (we can provide them with the details) if they want to be included in ASDI.

A new search engine called Google helped me with this question.

Animal Rescue Flights
pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewto … f=9&t=4763
aviation.meetup.com/95/messages/archive/

You friend’s registration is one of the following, correct? (Aircraft such as the Pitts Special and B767 and bizjets deleted from this list as are some aircraft base a long ways from Mississippi))
100JH CESSNA 310Q (most probable)
420JH BEECH G33
500JH CESSNA 182Q
510JH CESSNA 510
60JH CESSNA 414A
670JH CESSNA U206G
700JH PIPER PA-30
770JH BEECH B300

(Source: FAA Registry)

Looks like a good organization. Before reading about it, I thought it might be connected to Tony LaRussa’s Animal Rescue Foundation. This is where I got Archie (see my avatar).

Thanks Mark,

I will let my friend know.

Dami,

My friend resides in NY. For callsigns in cases I know of, you adopt the mission’s three letters and last three numbers of your tail number to derive your mission callsign. None of the types you listed above is his plane

ARF43L would be my call sign for an ARF mission.

I know.

I also know I should have listed all of the registrations I found ending in 0JH. There were several in the northeastern USA. :slight_smile:

For those interested and don’t want to go to the references I provided, here’s the requirements for using the ARF call sign.

GREAT NEWS! Pilots flying animal rescue flight missions are now authorized by the FAA to use a designated call sign and three letter identifier for radio and written communication with ATC!

The designated call sign is comprised of the words "Animal Rescue Flight" followed by the last three digits of the participating aircraft's registration number and is used to identify the aircraft to ATC in place of the full registration number. For example, if your tail number is N12345, you will use ?Animal Rescue Flights 345? when communicating with ATC.

Instructions for filing a flight plan:

1) VFR or IFR flight plans that include the identifier must be filed through a Flight Service Station (FSS). The three letter "ARF" identifier cannot be used on a flight plan filed via DUATS

2) The use of the Animal Rescue Flight call sign cannot be initiated after a flight has commenced. This includes communication with ATC for the purpose of picking up flight following or radar services while airborne, requesting clearance through airspace, or on initial contact with the tower at the destination. In other words, intent to use the call sign can only be presented to an FSS or ATC for approval prior to the flight.

3) In place of the full registration number in the Aircraft Identifier section on VFR and IFR flight plans, use the three letter identifier "ARF" followed by the last three digits of the participating aircraft's registration number. For example, if your tail number is N12345, you will use ?ARF345? for the Aircraft Identifier section

4) "Animal Rescue Flights" followed by the aircraft's full registration number should be included in the Comments section. For example, if your tail number is N12345, you will put ?Animal Rescue Flights N12345? in the Comments section

If you plan to use Flight Following:

1) Pilots planning VFR flights without flight plans but utilizing "flight following" or "radar services" should identify their aircraft to Clearance Delivery or Ground Control as "Animal Rescue Flight" followed by the last three digits of their registration number. For example, if your tail number is N12345, you will use ?Animal Rescue Flights 345? when communicating with ATC

2) The use of the Animal Rescue Flight call sign cannot be initiated after a flight has commenced. This includes communication with ATC for the purpose of picking up flight following or radar services while airborne, requesting clearance through airspace, or on initial contact with the tower at the destination. In other words, intent to use the call sign can only be presented to an FSS or ATC for approval prior to the flight

If you have any questions, please email [address removed]. This information is posted on the message board under "ARF Important Information" for your future reference.

Damiross,

Your google search didn’t really clarify much. The FA staff member certainly did, though :slight_smile:

I’m well aware of the document on the meetup group…that’s why I filed a flight plan using the ARF callsign to begin with. The original question was why the flight didn’t show up in flightaware.

I’ve PM’d the FA staff as suggested. It will be an excellent tool for the ARF team members to be able to track flights, particularly the folks on the ground who are waiting for aircraft to arrive.

So, if you do a round trip is the call sign ARF ARF?

sorry, been a long day.

John in Saudi

I’ve learned that the ARF organizers have already been working with the FAA to get this data included in the feed.

I hope they keep hounding the FAA.

I think you barking up the wrong tree! :stuck_out_tongue:

Only if you are a freight dog pilot? :laughing:

I fail to see the need of using a special call sign for this or other flights like Angel Flight. Simply use your tail number.

Same thing I was thinking…

Frank,

From what I understand, ATC goes above and beyond for Angel Flight, Life Flight, Animal Rescue, etc. I take this to mean that they’re more likely to pick up the phone and coordinate a shortcut with the next sector than they would for a normal flight. If any active controllers would care to comment, I’d love to know if that’s true, or whether I’m wasting my time by using the callsign.

Yea, it didn’t really clarify much.

It didn’t say what the ARF call sign is. Wait! It did!

Pilots flying animal rescue flight missions are now authorized by the FAA to use a designated call sign and three letter identifier for radio and written communication with ATC!

It doesn’t tell how to create an ARF call sign. Wait! It did!

The designated call sign is comprised of the words “Animal Rescue Flight” followed by the last three digits of the participating aircraft’s registration number and is used to identify the aircraft to ATC in place of the full registration number.

And most importantly it doesn’t tell you how to file using the ARF call sign. Wait! It did!
Instructions for filing a flight plan:

1. VFR or IFR flight plans that include the identifier must be filed through a Flight Service Station (FSS). The three letter “ARF” identifier cannot be used on a flight plan filed via DUATS
  1. The use of the Animal Rescue Flight call sign cannot be initiated after a flight has commenced. This includes communication with ATC for the purpose of picking up flight following or radar services while airborne, requesting clearance through airspace, or on initial contact with the tower at the destination. In other words, intent to use the call sign can only be presented to an FSS or ATC for approval prior to the flight.
  1. In place of the full registration number in the Aircraft Identifier section on VFR and IFR flight plans, use the three letter identifier “ARF” followed by the last three digits of the participating aircraft’s registration number. For example, if your tail number is N12345, you will use ?ARF345? for the Aircraft Identifier section
  1. “Animal Rescue Flights” followed by the aircraft’s full registration number should be included in the Comments section. For example, if your tail number is N12345, you will put ?Animal Rescue Flights N12345? in the Comments section

If you plan to use Flight Following:

1. Pilots planning VFR flights without flight plans but utilizing “flight following” or “radar services” should identify their aircraft to Clearance Delivery or Ground Control as “Animal Rescue Flight” followed by the last three digits of their registration number. For example, if your tail number is N12345, you will use ?Animal Rescue Flights 345? when communicating with ATC
  1. The use of the Animal Rescue Flight call sign cannot be initiated after a flight has commenced. This includes communication with ATC for the purpose of picking up flight following or radar services while airborne, requesting clearance through airspace, or on initial contact with the tower at the destination. In other words, intent to use the call sign can only be presented to an FSS or ATC for approval prior to the flight

The only thing not clarified is why it wasn’t in the ASDI feed.

The only reason I can see for using either of these call signs is to possibly get expedited clearances in recognition of the charitable flight.

It’s not going to happen. The 7110.65 section 2-1-4. OPERATIONAL PRIORITY clearly call out who gets what. In the civilian world that would be Emergency, Lifeguard, SAR, Nuclear Emergency Teams and Flight Check (Not check ride). Everyone else is First Come, First Served.

Frank Holbert
160knots.com

It doesn’t tell how to create an ARF call sign. Wait! It did!

And most importantly it doesn’t tell you how to file using the ARF call sign. Wait! It did!

3 answers to questions that were never asked. The original question was why the flights weren’t showing up in FA, that’s all.

The only reason I’m getting on your case is that you seemed to be ridiculing Allen for not using this new-fangled search technology to find the answer. The FA staff member provided the answer to the actual question.

Frank, that is understood. However, there might be a ‘softer’ side to it. By that, I mean that a controller might be more likely to attempt to coordinate some enroute shortcuts more willingly for an Angel Flight or Animal Rescue Flight before a ‘regular’ flight.

I can tell you that using the callsign resulted in my landing fee being waived, ramp fee waived, and a $0.30/gal discount on gas at the FBO at KALB.

I’ve also heard reports of some controllers being ‘PnP’ (pilots ‘n’ paws) friendly at various facilities, although I’m not sure what that actually means.

What is an animal rescue flight? (damn, should have used google, sorry David)

I don’t get it, people are losing thier homes, living in the street, starving, going without medical care, and we’re flying dogs and cats across the country to save THEM. WTH is the world coming to.