All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Passport checks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:35 am 
FlightAware Member
biekerc - FlightAware user avatar

On my last flight from the UK to Germany, we were driven by bus from the plane to the terminal and then directly herded to baggage reclaim, without having our passports checked by border control.

This has never happened before, so I wonder if the border police can decide they do need to check, or has someone, maybe ground staff, messed up, there were several busses arriving at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:46 pm 
FlightAware Member
jvcdcarlos - FlightAware user avatar

nothing new, I already flew from Portugal to Germany but with one stop at bristol for 2 hours and also no one controlled me

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Passport checks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:27 am 
jasperbg - FlightAware user avatar

As far as I am aware UK has not done exit passport checks for a long time. Certainly, I travel on an almost weekly basis between UK and various destinations, and I've never had my passport checked when exiting the UK by air, only when entering the UK. Schengen borders (and indeed most other country borders) do exit checks, but not the UK.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:34 am 
jasperbg - FlightAware user avatar

On second reading, it sounds like you are talking about your arrival in Germany. It's highly unusual for a flight from the UK to Germany to have no check on arrival in Germany. It's the border of the Schengen area and is required by law. Sounds like someone took you to the wrong arrivals entry point.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:16 am 
FlightAware Member
biekerc - FlightAware user avatar

jasperbg wrote:
On second reading, it sounds like you are talking about your arrival in Germany. It's highly unusual for a flight from the UK to Germany to have no check on arrival in Germany. It's the border of the Schengen area and is required by law. Sounds like someone took you to the wrong arrivals entry point.

Yes, I was talking about arrival in Germany, and thanks for confirming my suspicion that they are required by law.