All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: PiAware version 2 to version 3 upgrade
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:26 am 
joharazad - FlightAware user avatar

Quote:
abcd567 wrote:
thehowieee wrote:
abcd567 wrote:
I never go for an OS upgrade. Instead I format microSD Card and burn the latest upgraded image...no headaches, no dbugging, and a perfect and clean upgrade.

but when a receiver is 1000 miles away ... in-place is all you've got!

In this case upgrading by upgrade command is the only practical solution.

i dint see a SD card in my case i opened the box but i dint see any SD card
How do i upgrade my receiver ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:18 am 
FlightAware Staff
obj - FlightAware user avatar

joharazad wrote:
i dint see a SD card in my case i opened the box but i dint see any SD card
How do i upgrade my receiver ?

You have a FlightFeeder. The PiAware upgrade instructions don't apply to FlightFeeders; please don't try to use a PiAware image on a FlightFeeder. If you contact support at adsbsupport@flightaware.com they can help you with the upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:54 pm 
grsham - FlightAware user avatar

I have two PIaware boxes in two locations. A week or so ago I installed the PI-3 package (overwriting the PI-2 SD card image. The upgrade was uncomplicated. Reconnected to FA within an hour.

Tonight I performed the same procedure on the second one. MyADS-B has not reconnected to the box. I can access the dump1090 at port 8080 and can connect via ssh. Everything appears to be fine - except there is no connection to Flight-Aware, going on 4 hours of frustration. I've re-imaged twice and verified the mac reported to be what FA says it was before the upgrade.

I've also been to the 'claim and link" page. Flight-Aware cannot find a new one and the 'old' one is still shown as station 2 in the list of linked receivers to my account.

One upgrade was flawless and the second one appears to be doomed. It looks like I will lose my 572 day streak and may not even be able to start a new run with this box.

Any ideas of what I can do to get back online?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:59 pm 
FlightAware Staff

What does /var/log/piaware.log say?
What does piaware-status say?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:02 pm 

las several entries:

Sep 23 13:31:58 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: Connection to adept server at piaware.flightaware.com/1200 failed: couldn't open socket: Name or service not known
Sep 23 13:31:58 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: reconnecting in 50 seconds...
Sep 23 13:32:48 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: Connecting to FlightAware adept server at 70.42.6.197/1200
Sep 23 13:32:51 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: Connection to adept server at 70.42.6.197/1200 failed: host is unreachable
Sep 23 13:32:51 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: reconnecting in 49 seconds...
Sep 23 13:33:40 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: Connecting to FlightAware adept server at 70.42.6.198/1200
Sep 23 13:33:43 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: Connection to adept server at 70.42.6.198/1200 failed: host is unreachable
Sep 23 13:33:43 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: reconnecting in 67 seconds...
Sep 23 13:34:50 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: Connecting to FlightAware adept server at 70.42.6.191/1200
Sep 23 13:34:53 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: Connection to adept server at 70.42.6.191/1200 failed: host is unreachable
Sep 23 13:34:53 LenoirCity-Welcome piaware[439]: reconnecting in 57 seconds...
pi@LenoirCity-Welcome:/var/log$

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:10 pm 
FlightAware Staff

You have a network problem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:12 pm 

My piaware has a network problem, apparently. Didn't have one before the upgrade. No other device within the network has a problem getting out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:23 pm 

THANKS for the dialog. Based on your queries and the contents of the log, I tried to ping a physical ip with no success. Went back into the piaware-config.txt and saw the default gateway was not pointing to my address. I'd set the static ip to the correct address but overlooked the one default (wired-gateway) that was not matched to my system. Changed that and rebooted, Now reconnected and all appears to be well.

pi@LenoirCity-Welcome:/boot$ piaware-status
PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 441.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is running with pid 700.
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is running with pid 684.
Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090-fa) is running with pid 689.

dump1090-fa (pid 689) is listening for connections on port 30005.
faup1090 is connected to the ADS-B receiver.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.

dump1090 is producing data on localhost:30005.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:25 pm 

Thanks again for the prompt responses and for asking all the right questions, Have a good night.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:29 am 
FlightAware Member
joelwiley - FlightAware user avatar

grsham wrote:
Went back into the piaware-config.txt and saw the default gateway was not pointing to my address. I'd set the static ip to the correct address but overlooked the one default (wired-gateway) that was not matched to my system. Changed that and rebooted, Now reconnected and all appears to be well.
It's usually some small pesky detail one overlooks. A second set of eyes or poster can be invaluable.
We have all been there, done that (or will soon), got the t-shirt stained. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:12 pm 
nick0909 - FlightAware user avatar

Was anyone successful in changing the website back to port 8080? I already have another project that I used to run on the same pi that uses port 80, I really wish piaware didn't change itself to take over 80, at least not without providing it as an option. I tried to change it in the lighthttpd config and then nothing seemed to work right after, on either port.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:25 pm 
FlightAware Staff

dump1090-fa doesn't take over port 80; it splices itself into the existing lighttpd config to provide URLs under /dump1090-fa/ only and doesn't touch anything else you are serving at other URLs.

piaware itself does nothing at all to do with port 80.

The piaware sdcard image sets up a landing/status page at the top level, but the sdcard image is not aimed at sharing the Pi with other applications (you want a package install for that)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:08 am 
rreynard - FlightAware user avatar

Upgraded "the hard way" by downloading the full new version - burning it to my uSD card and putting it back in the Pi(3b). Had to restart the Pi 2x to get it to pull an IP address and the remove and insert the FA dongle, to get Dump1090 working, but once it all came up, looks and works great.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:56 am 
WhiteCitadel - FlightAware user avatar

ericcarlson wrote:
Note this is for advanced users. The simplest way to install/setup PiAware is by using the image-based SD card install. See the PiAware 3 announcement thread.

Today I'm excited to announce the availability of the upgrade option from PiAware 2 to PiAware 3!

You can initiate the upgrade from your "My ADS-B" Stats page (click the link at the top of any page on flightaware.com) by using the "Send command to device" feature.

Please note:
1. You must upgrade PiAware using the "Upgrade and restart PiAware" option FIRST. (The other options will not upgrade PiAware 2.)
2. Once you have upgraded PiAware you may upgrade dump1090. On wheezy-based installs, you may need to reboot the system to get the dump1090 map working after doing the upgrade.
3. Upgrading a PiAaware 2 install will upgrade PiAware and optionally dump1090, but it will not give you all of the PiAware configuration capabilities. You will need a SD card install to take advantage of PiAware 3's new configuration features.

Thank you for your interest in PiAware!

Its great you have this web based option for people that need it, but can you please clarify for those that wish to use it what packages need upgrading to move from v2 to v3?

I assume an apt-get install piaware, but are you also updating piaware-web and piaware-release?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:08 am 
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

Upgrading ver 2.xx to current 3.5.0 is a big change, and may result in complications. I suggest the headache-free method: Format microSD card, then download & write the Piaware 3.5.0 image to microSD card.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 am 
FlightAware Staff

WhiteCitadel wrote:
Its great you have this web based option for people that need it, but can you please clarify for those that wish to use it what packages need upgrading to move from v2 to v3?

I assume an apt-get install piaware, but are you also updating piaware-web and piaware-release?

v2 only had a piaware package and did not have any of the apt-get infrastructure; so an apt-get install piaware on a v2 will not work, you will need to obtain and install the package separately (see the v3 package install instructions). The piaware package is the only thing that needs to be updated to feed data using the latest version.

There is also a dump1090-fa package which you may or may not want to install, depending on what you're currently using to collect data.

piaware-web and piaware-release are installed on v3 sdcard images only, not on package-based installs.

If you are starting from a v2 sdcard image I'd strongly recommend starting afresh with either a v3 sdcard image or a fresh Raspbian image + packages.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:02 am 

Running dump1090-mutability 1.15-dev so no need to change that as I understand it.

I have the repository available on the machine, should be an apt-get install piaware I believe.

Code:
$ apt-cache search piaware
piaware-mutability - Open Aviation Data Exchange Protocol for ADS-B FlightFeeders
dump1090-fa - ADS-B Ground Station System for RTL-SDR
piaware - Open Aviation Data Exchange Protocol for ADS-B FlightFeeders
piaware-release - Metapackage for PiAware sdcard releases.
piaware-repository - Installs the PiAware apt repository configuration.
piaware-repository-testing - PiAware apt repository configuration (testing environment)
piaware-support - Support package for PiAware sdcard images.
piaware-web - PiAware landing webpage

I think I found the problem, ads-b tracker page says:

Code:
Running PiAware (Debian Package Add-on) 2.1-3

But looking on the Pi:
Code:
$ piaware -v

So clearly I am already at 3.1 and the web page is reporting wrong. :?:

Can't seem to apt-get update anymore this Pi as I get:
Code:
W: Failed to fetch http://repo.mutability.co.uk/raspbian/dists/wheezy/Release.gpg  Could not resolve 'repo.mutability.co.uk'

Is piaware having a dependency on this repo? It seems to me that the web domain is parked at the moment?

EDIT: Hmm to answer my own question, dpkg -S reports package providing file, I found repo file but:
Code:
dpkg -S /var/lib/apt/lists/repo.mutability.co.uk_raspbian_dists_wheezy_Release.gpg
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /var/lib/apt/lists/repo.mutability.co.uk_raspbian_dists_wheezy_Release.gpg

Not sure now what is pulling this in?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:10 am 
FlightAware Member
jimcander - FlightAware user avatar

Where do things stand on not having to hack the MAC address on a new pi?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:16 am 

Posting for completeness for anyone else with the same issue.

mutability-repo is now defunct and domain is dead, it provides some config files:

Code:
$ dpkg -s mutability-repo
Package: mutability-repo
Priority: extra
Section: embedded
Installed-Size: 44
Maintainer: Oliver Jowett <oliver@mutability.co.uk>
Architecture: armhf
Version: 0.1.1
Depends: gnupg
Conffiles:
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/mutability.gpg 2e3d207ec055c5b253571898d78e6293
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/mutability.list 67bac7ac117ed387bf3aebf29e4cb6d7
Description: Apt configuration and keyring for repo.mutability.co.uk.
Installs an apt source and signing keys to allow automated installation of
packages from repo.mutability.co.uk.
Homepage: https://github.com/mutability/mutability-repo

apt-get remove does not delete the entries to /etc/apt - removed by hand then the problem is solved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:42 am 
FlightAware Staff

jimcander wrote:
Where do things stand on not having to hack the MAC address on a new pi?

You don't have to hack the MAC address on a new Pi.

If you want to take an old site to a new Pi.. that's still in progress and I don't have an ETA yet. This is currently blocked by the other stats issues, I don't want to do the invasive changes needed to migrate all legacy sites until stats is stable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:44 am 
FlightAware Staff

WhiteCitadel wrote:
mutability-repo is now defunct and domain is dead, it provides some config files:

Yes, I took it down because I don't have spare time to maintain a packaged version of dump1090-mutability (+ the repository) and I was starting to get support queries about it. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:52 pm 

obj wrote:
WhiteCitadel wrote:

Yes, I took it down because I don't have spare time to maintain a packaged version of dump1090-mutability (+ the repository) and I was starting to get support queries about it. Sorry.

No need to apologies, glad I found what the issue was that's all. This box been up for:
Code:
Longest Streak: 618 days (26/10/2015 - 4/7/2017)
so not messed with it recently :D

Just need to fix my broken dependencies now...
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
piaware : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15) but 2.13-38+rpi2+deb7u12 is to be installed
           Depends: libtcl8.6 (>= 8.6.0) but it is not installable
           Depends: iproute2 but it is not installable
           Depends: tcl8.6 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

But that's a job for tomorrow...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:06 pm 
FlightAware Staff

WhiteCitadel wrote:
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
piaware : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15) but 2.13-38+rpi2+deb7u12 is to be installed
           Depends: libtcl8.6 (>= 8.6.0) but it is not installable
           Depends: iproute2 but it is not installable
           Depends: tcl8.6 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

That looks like you're trying this on a wheezy system, you need to be on jessie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:38 pm 
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

obj wrote:
That looks like you're trying this on a wheezy system, you need to be on jessie.

I fully agree with obj. The existing OS is too old, and attempting to upgrade installed software on it will never be trouble-free, both during and after upgrade. Best solution is a fresh install of OS (currently Raspbian Jessie), and then install latest versions of decoder & data feeder software.

If dump1090-mutability is desired, it can be installed on Raspbian Jessie by building .deb package from source code. This can be done in two ways:

(1) Automated install using JProchazka's script (Click here)

OR

(2) Manual install (Click here, then go to Option-3)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:54 am 

obj wrote:

Yes, I just worked that out :wink:

Not sure about some of the dependencies thought, some seem to be related to managing the network interface remotely which is not a requirement I have, at 3.1 I have already the distance circles etc in the map I added way back at 2.x so not sure I am missing much.

Any idea why the website still says I am running 2.x package though? Where does it take this data from?
That's what started this whole debacle.

Surprised about so many people insisting a fresh install is needed, software is an exact science, and this is linux not windows there is no need to "fresh install just because" provided you have the right dependencies and packages. Maybe I will be brave one day and "apt-get dist-upgrade" :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next