iframe header
  • Join FlightAware (Why Join?)
  • Login
  • US Flag 
07:38PM EDT

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Would FedEx Consider The Boeing 747-8F?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:38 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
AerospaceAirAviation - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 pm
Posts: 87
Location: Spokane, Washington
Currently, Cargolux, Nippon Cargo, Atlas Air, Volga-Dnepr Airlines, Korean Air Cargo, and Cathay Pacific Cargo are the only operators of the Boeing 747-8F. I was thinking if FedEx would benefit from operating the -8F. I remember they had the Airbus A380F on order. Later on, they decided to cancel.

I believe the -8F would benefit FedEx. It could even help replace some A300s, A310s, MD-10s and MD-11s. I believe it would benefit because it is more efficient, double the range of the A300, A310, ranges about 1,000-2,000 km longer than the MD-10-10 MD-11, but doesn't range as far as the MD-10-30 (MD-10-30 ranges 10,622 km while the -8F ranges 8,130 km). The MTOW is triple the MTOW of the A300 and A310, and 300,000-400,000 lbs more than the MD-10 and MD-11.

Do you think FedEx would benefit with the -8F? Would they order them in the near future even though they have 50 Boeing 767-300Fs and 20 more 777-200Fs on order? If the A380F would've existed, would they have benefited with it? Would UPS have benefited with the A380F and/or the -8F?

More side questions. With FedEx due to get their first Boeing 767-300F, will they be equipped with winglets? I also noticed that their Boeing 757s aren't equipped with winglets. Why aren't all of FedEx's Boeing 757s equipped with winglets? Have they not been approved for the Freighter version? If they are in the near future, will FedEx consider equipping them with winglets?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would FedEx Consider The Boeing 747-8F?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:48 pm 
Offline
Charter Member
drdisque - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:00 pm
Posts: 1233
For winglet retrofits to earn their keep financially you need to fly the aircraft a lot, preferably on long stage lengths - FedEx 757's generally fly only two segments per day, both of which are generally under 2500 nm.

I think that with overall freight shipments shrinking, that FedEx has decided that they do not need a VLA.

The 777 is plenty large enough for their needs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would FedEx Consider The Boeing 747-8F?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:29 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
ace005 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:35 pm
Posts: 123
Location: KSAN
AerospaceAirAviation wrote:
Currently, Cargolux, Nippon Cargo, Atlas Air, Volga-Dnepr Airlines, Korean Air Cargo, and Cathay Pacific Cargo are the only operators of the Boeing 747-8F.


Also Saudi Arabian Cargo.

AerospaceAirAviation wrote:
I believe the -8F would benefit FedEx. It could even help replace some A300s, A310s, MD-10s and MD-11s. I believe it would benefit because it is more efficient, double the range of the A300, A310, ranges about 1,000-2,000 km longer than the MD-10-10 MD-11, but doesn't range as far as the MD-10-30 (MD-10-30 ranges 10,622 km while the -8F ranges 8,130 km). The MTOW is triple the MTOW of the A300 and A310, and 300,000-400,000 lbs more than the MD-10 and MD-11.

Do you think FedEx would benefit with the -8F? Would they order them in the near future even though they have 50 Boeing 767-300Fs and 20 more 777-200Fs on order? If the A380F would've existed, would they have benefited with it? Would UPS have benefited with the A380F and/or the -8F?


I think FedEx could benfit from the 747-8F if they used it to replace smaller freighters on their most popular routes (maybe LAX-MEM; I'm not positive, but that is probably a popular route for them). Also know that smaller airports need smaller planes, so on lots of routes small planes replaced by small planes, not large planes (except when demand rises).

Also, the 767-300Fs are coming in to replace the DC-10Fs and maybe the A310Fs.

UPS might've benefited from the A380F, but I would only see them ordering that to compete with FedEx or if demand rises. The 747-8F could benefit them in the same way I mentioned it could benefit FedEx.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would FedEx Consider The Boeing 747-8F?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:32 pm 
Offline
Charter Member
drdisque - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:00 pm
Posts: 1233
But it's not worth the additional operating an additional small fleet of aircraft for just a handful of missions where they might be better suited than what you already have.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would FedEx Consider The Boeing 747-8F?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:32 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
ace005 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:35 pm
Posts: 123
Location: KSAN
drdisque wrote:
But it's not worth the additional operating an additional small fleet of aircraft for just a handful of missions where they might be better suited than what you already have.


Good point. FedEx or UPS would need a decent sized fleet of 747-8Fs or A380Fs in order for the whole thing to be profitable. As shown by Singapore Airlines' 4 A340-500s, its not very economical to have a small fleet of one type(well, unless you are a small airline).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
iframe sidebar


 

Airport Tracker/Info


-or-