iframe header
  • Join FlightAware (Why Join?)
  • Login
  • US Flag 
02:40AM EDT

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Part 91 private pilots wearing epaulettes .
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:11 pm 
Offline
TheEggman - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:00 pm
Posts: 26
I am a private pilot working on my xc requirements for my instrument rating. My co-pilot or "hood buddy" insists on wearing epaulettes every time we fly. Normally I wouldn't consider wearing a uniform since I'm not the show off type. However, I'm a little bit sick of going places and being asked how my flight training is coming or being treated as a student and not a pilot. Also, whenever we bring our friends on flights I'm always asked about why I'm not dressed up all official or why I'm only wearing jeans and a t shirt. Needless to say, it's getting old. Getting him to not wear epaulettes is absolutely out of the question. Is it normal for private pilots to do this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Part 91 private pilots wearing epaulettes .
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:16 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
pfp217 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:00 pm
Posts: 1053
Location: KSPI
TheEggman wrote:
I am a private pilot working on my xc requirements for my instrument rating. My co-pilot or "hood buddy" insists on wearing epaulettes every time we fly. . Getting him to not wear epaulettes is absolutely out of the question.

:oops: I think I'd get one of those "I'm with stupid shirts with the arrow pointing his way and wear that everytime. Out embarrassing can go along way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:20 pm 
Offline
TheEggman - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:00 pm
Posts: 26
Funny, but I don't want to be a jerk either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:36 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
davysims - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:00 pm
Posts: 493
Location: KMCW
I would say your co pilot has some severe adequacy issues. We have a word for such people in the firefighting world, WACKER!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:43 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
pfp217 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:00 pm
Posts: 1053
Location: KSPI
TheEggman wrote:
Funny, but I don't want to be a jerk either.

not in a jerk way but a joking see how silly this is? kinda way


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:15 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
AirmanElmo - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:00 pm
Posts: 135
As a former line guy, I would probably laugh my head off if some part 91 guys came in and one dude was in a dress shirt with epaulets. Seriously. If you're not part 135 or 121 and on an actual revenue trip, it's pretty silly to wear them. You could make it a game and wear the same gitup with epaulets as well...wear Captain epaulets if he's wearing FO epaulets, or if you could find them with 5 stripes all the better. :lol: Don't really see much else you can do about it though other than not fly with him.


Last edited by AirmanElmo on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:16 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
wendellsmith1964 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:00 pm
Posts: 137
Location: Lake Charles, LA (LCH)
TheEggman wrote:
Funny, but I don't want to be a jerk either.



Get the shirt. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:17 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
ejericson - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:00 pm
Posts: 178
Location: KEUG
sounds like a tool bag.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 am 
Offline
TheEggman - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:00 pm
Posts: 26
ejericson wrote:
sounds like a tool bag.


Nah, he's a nice guy, he just reminds me of Michael Scott from "The Office".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:05 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
pfp217 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:00 pm
Posts: 1053
Location: KSPI
TheEggman wrote:
ejericson wrote:
sounds like a tool bag.


Nah, he's a nice guy, he just reminds me of Michael Scott from "The Office".


in hockey, unless you have just won it, it is a curse to touch the Stanley cup without winning it. Maybe make something up like I don't want to jinx my possible future career by wearing them just yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:42 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
porterjet - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:00 pm
Posts: 2516
Location: KSBP/FIMP
Overseas some flight schools require airline style uniforms for students and instructors. I flew for a 91 operator in a mid sized jet for about a year, we wore uniforms. All it did was invite ramp checks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:51 am 
Offline
todd92 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:00 pm
Posts: 28
Is it your plane or are you paying to rent it? If so, just tell your friend "No dork bars on my dime". "Friends don't let friends wear dork bars" would be another approach.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:52 am 
Offline
Charter Member
lieberma - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:00 am
Posts: 5274
Location: Heading to NORDO territory
TheEggman wrote:
Funny, but I don't want to be a jerk either.


Who is PIC of your life?

Wear what you want and forget what others think would be my thoughts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:18 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
flyboy97222 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:00 pm
Posts: 2680
Location: Sunny South Florida
Tell your buddy-

If I have to tell you how cool I am, Then I'm not that cool.....

Tell him to lose the monkey suite. It makes him a geek


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
NeedleNose - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:00 pm
Posts: 3279
Location: KOKV
AirmanElmo wrote:
...wear Captain epaulets if he's wearing FO epaulets, or if you could find them with 5 stripes all the better. :lol: Don't really see much else you can do about it though other than not fly with him.

I like your thinking... :D

But the next step up from Captain is Rear Admiral which has one 2-inch stripe Image

Unless you know something about navy insignia, that just ain't gonna have the same effect.

Still, if you're handy with a needle and thread, you could come up with something with 5 stripes on your own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:53 pm 
Offline
geoflyer - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:00 pm
Posts: 35
Location: KOAK
AirmanElmo wrote:
You could make it a game and wear the same gitup with epaulets as well...wear Captain epaulets if he's wearing FO epaulets, or if you could find them with 5 stripes all the better.


You may enjoy the appearing and disappearing epaulets in this video, then: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusivevids/ExclusiveVideo_PatterFlying_CFIs_SarcasmHumor_202261-1.html

TheEggman - Not sure what to tell your friend. All the private pilots I know (and students, too) would find your friend a bit silly. I like the idea of doing something equally silly but different. I don't suppose you could explain to your passengers that the epaulets don't really mean anything in this case...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:32 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
NeedleNose - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:00 pm
Posts: 3279
Location: KOKV
geoflyer wrote:
AirmanElmo wrote:
You could make it a game and wear the same gitup with epaulets as well...wear Captain epaulets if he's wearing FO epaulets, or if you could find them with 5 stripes all the better.


You may enjoy the appearing and disappearing epaulets in this video, then: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusivevids/ExclusiveVideo_PatterFlying_CFIs_SarcasmHumor_202261-1.html

Image

NICE IDEA! 6 stripes! 10 stripes! :lol:

If that doesn't get the message across, I don't know what would.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:38 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
will744 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:00 am
Posts: 3116
Location: Lone Star Executive Airport-CXO
This is funny. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:03 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
nano404 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 483
NeedleNose wrote:
AirmanElmo wrote:
...wear Captain epaulets if he's wearing FO epaulets, or if you could find them with 5 stripes all the better. :lol: Don't really see much else you can do about it though other than not fly with him.

I like your thinking... :D

But the next step up from Captain is Rear Admiral which has one 2-inch stripe Image

Unless you know something about navy insignia, that just ain't gonna have the same effect.

Still, if you're handy with a needle and thread, you could come up with something with 5 stripes on your own.


A dozen of those and he'd be looking like Idi Amin :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:45 pm 
Offline
wingnut7eca - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:00 am
Posts: 16
A dude that wears a uniform in a 172 is like a dude on here with 2,000+ Posts and less than 100hrs total time.

I'll admit to wearing the shirt one time outside of Halloween. Was a first time ever airplane flight for a friends 6 year old son who loved airplanes, and I gave him a set of wings. I felt obligated to do the dog and pony show.

Quite the opposite, one time in winter I brought along my Buffalo headress and put the headset on under it, flew around warm and toasty, and upon taxing up to the FBO it took a while to figure out why everyone was checking me out.

Be safe, have fun, and enjoy your flying with dorks. Each of us is "That guy" in one way or the other. What would aviation be without funny stories?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
rw812 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:00 am
Posts: 1870
Location: damiross.net
wingnut7eca wrote:
A dude that wears a uniform in a 172 is like a dude on here with 2,000+ Posts and less than 100hrs total time.

Or a spoiled rich dude who thinks he is cool because he has a 707. He likes to make people think he is the captain of the aircraft when in reality he only has second-in-command privileges.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:30 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
will744 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:00 am
Posts: 3116
Location: Lone Star Executive Airport-CXO
Quote:
...a dude on here with 2,000+ Posts and less than 100hrs total time...


Me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:17 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
JHEM - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:00 am
Posts: 5461
Location: Under SWANN!
rw812 wrote:
wingnut7eca wrote:
A dude that wears a uniform in a 172 is like a dude on here with 2,000+ Posts and less than 100hrs total time.

Or a spoiled rich dude who thinks he is cool because he has a 707. He likes to make people think he is the captain of the aircraft when in reality he only has second-in-command privileges.

While I'm no apologist for the subject gentleman, one can hardly be characterized as "spoiled" if it was all earned by the sweat of his own brow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:28 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
rw812 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:00 am
Posts: 1870
Location: damiross.net
JHEM wrote:
rw812 wrote:
wingnut7eca wrote:
A dude that wears a uniform in a 172 is like a dude on here with 2,000+ Posts and less than 100hrs total time.

Or a spoiled rich dude who thinks he is cool because he has a 707. He likes to make people think he is the captain of the aircraft when in reality he only has second-in-command privileges.

While I'm no apologist for the subject gentleman, one can hardly be characterized as "spoiled" if it was all earned by the sweat of his own brow.

You can be rich and humble or you can be rich and spoiled. The person I'm talking about is the latter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 pm 
Offline
TheEggman - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:00 pm
Posts: 26
I would hold off on bashing him, because apparently I'm just as bad. I've been known to wear my sportys flight jacket on flights during colder days. It has the AOPA wings logo embroidered on the right side. Anyway according to my instructor, I have "no right to criticize Clarence [my co-pilot] if I'm walking around with wings on my chest."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
iframe sidebar


 

Airport Tracker/Info


-or-