Aviation BLOGS

I don’t think I’ve seen, anywhere in the Forums, an area for presenting interesting web logs about aviation.

I’ve run across several aviation blogs, some better than others of course, but I lose track of them because I typically read them once and move on.

Now I’m thinking that we could collectively post our most informative aviation blog links here for everyone to look into (and comment on, if desired).

I’ll start with the first one. I found this while searching via Google for any site that had a Dallas Love to Ft. Worth Meacham air fare (in the pre-KDFW days). I couldn’t find that bit of info, but I found this blog:

ENPLANED
Airlines and Commercial Aerospace
http://enplaned.blogspot.com/

The current topics posted are:

Great British Design Contest
Boeing Eyeing Small Jet Manufacture
Ft Worth Alliance Airport: Wright Hypocrisy
Wright Reading / Wright Out the Door
Aircraft Appraisals: Handle with Care
EAS: Flying to Where People Don’t Want to Go
Yet Another Reason to Avoid Russian Airlines/Aircraft * (What a fantastic photo!)*
… and more.

From what I see, this is a tremendously interesting blog. I’d hate to lose track of it. (Yes, I will be following it via a RSS reader.)

Any other blog nominations?

Check out NATCA (National Air Traffic Controllers Association) President John Carr’s update “The Main Bang” for the latest behind the scenes news. Click below to read Carr’s thoughts on the latest NATCA news and happenings.

themainbang.typepad.com/

You should check out the “Fly With Me” podcast. A RW pilot…now a Captain…who takes his recorder along and interviews people of interest.

One was flight attendants about interesting passengers. Several were about his “upgrade” to Captain and a nice review of his checkride. That one’s REALLY cool. With the FAA examiner in the cockpit and his instructor in the right seat, he did something he’s NEVER EVER done EVER before.

In his FMC, he programmed in the STAR and the runway, but NOT the type of approach. His instructor/co-pilot had to remind him.

He still passed as he broke NO rules, did NOTHING unsafe and rode a mountain wave properly as well as asked APP for a turn to the south so he could descend and slow up.

The latest one…#11…he interviews a guy who is TOTALLY blind and wants to learn to fly a chopper.

It can be found at flywithme.podshow.com/

I’m glad you pointed that out. I had subscribed to this feed, but appearently he’s changed it because my podcatcher (Juice) missed the last few episodes. Now I can catch up.

I have a personal blog with a lot of aviation related entries, and some podcasts. The ‘Fly With Me’ podcast gave me the podcast bug and motivated me to buy an IRiver and get started.

It’s at grayraven.com/JimNtexas

I checked out your blog, JimNtexas. I enjoyed it, particularly the aviation pieces. You’ve done a great job with attractive graphics.

Thanks for contributing, Jim.

www.thirtythousandfeet.com/blogs.htm

This will keep you busy for a LONG time unless you read a lot faster than I do!
Jan / CID

Thanks for the kind words, tobyz1.

If you are interested in the life of a regional airline pilot I recommend the Hotel Coffee podcast and blog: hotelcoffee.blogspot.com/ .

If you are interested in general aviation, I recommend the Pilot Cast: pilotcast.libsyn.com/

Right, N0AAA! That looks like the ultimate collection of aviation blogs. I’ve book marked that one!

JimNtexas — “Hotelcoffee” is my type of casual blog. I’ll revisit it frequently. However, I’m not yet into podcasts. I’ve listened to a few, but they always seem to go to the back burner if I’m doing something else at the same time. Maybe it’s because listening takes “real time” attention and can’t be abridged. It’ll be ‘some other day’ for “Pilotcast”.

Unfortunately, Jim, the browser page I’d used for the Pilotcast URL is now giving me a Microsoft Internet Explorer “Stack Overflow, Line 1331” error message that cannot be closed. That browser window is now dead. Fortunately, it did not affect my other open IE browser windows.

Here’s a new source of blogs … Google Finance

Google Finance is really intended for stock research. However, what commercial (domestic and many foreign) airlines don’t issue stock on the U.S. exchanges? Just enter the airline name or stock symbol and “Search”. You’ll not only got recent news items from a wide variety of sources, but also (near the bottom right) a tabulation of current blog postings. Click on the “more” link and you may find thousands of additional blog hits from Google’s search engine.

Worth another bookmark!

Posted recently in the “General” forum:

and

Spirit Airlines - it’s privately owned.

Even though Spirit Airlines is privately owned, it’s still covered by Google Finance.

I know that - I was just answering the question about non-publicly owned airlines.

This blog is great fun to read, tons of photos too:
randsaviationphotos.blogspot.com/
He’s a Northwest 757 pilot, blogging his way through his travels.

For another very informative view from the perspective of a recently retired enroute air traffic controller, visit Mr. Don Brown’s “Get The Flick” BLOG at

http://gettheflick.blogspot.com/**

Mr. Brown worked for many years at Atlanta Center. He was also the facility’s union safety representative.

I used to read Don Brown’s monthly “Say Again” column at avweb.com. I miss it - it was good stuff. I’ll have to check out the link.

Anybody know of new aviation podcasts or blogs?

I like(d) pilotcast but they have been really inconsistent about producing shows.

Well since you ask… there is always my own blog all about new Boeing deliveries, test flights and pics from Seattle which is updated daily if I’m not busy doing other stuff…

blog.seattle-deliveries.com

:slight_smile:

Lately I’ve found a couple podcasts that I enjoy

Plane Madness is recorded by an airline captain. He’s very funny (dry humor)
http://www.planemadness.com/

UltraFlight Radio is about sport aviation with alot of LSA coverage. It’s very informative, including interviews with manufacturers, dealers, instructors and pilots.
http://www.ultraflightradio.com/

I know everyone dislikes us lawyers, but this blog by my friend attorney Jim Crouse is a good one. Jim has been a pilot for thirty-two years, during which time he has performed as a U.S. Army aircraft maintenance officer, maintenance test pilot, and research and development test pilot. He is a graduate of the U.S. Army’s Aviation Maintenance Officer’s Course and Test Pilot School.

aviationaccidentlitigators.clarislaw.com