All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:01 pm 
nssd70 - FlightAware user avatar

I remember going there to give them an estimate on carpet cleaning. When was that building torn down?

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 pm 
jcisuclones - FlightAware user avatar

nssd70 wrote:
Yes,that's where I took most of my pictures. If you type KDSM on the pictures section,there is a picture that my son took of a UPS A300 landing with the US flag under it,that was taken from Perkin's parking lot.

Doug

If I were you, I would put that picture on Snapfish. You can order a good size print for a good price. That's what I do with all my spotting pictures. But that picture deserves to be framed allong with that one of the CRJ with the airplane passing above. Those are great pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:48 pm 

Thanks for the nice comments. My 8 year old son took the UPS photo. I just bought a new camera and that was the first outing with it. I didn't notice the other plane until I looked at it at home.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:07 pm 

nssd70 wrote:
Thanks for the nice comments. My 8 year old son took the UPS photo. I just bought a new camera and that was the first outing with it. I didn't notice the other plane until I looked at it at home.

Doug

your son has some photo taking talent! The thing about noticing the plane reminded me when I was spotting at MSP. A birt got in the way while I was taking a picture and it moved the focus to the bird. I get back home and realize that that bird was a bald eagle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:12 pm 

nssd70 wrote:
I did catch a Southwest 737 on Saturday. Doug

Where were you when you got that picture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:31 pm 

South end of the parking garage on the top floor.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:36 pm 

nssd70 wrote:
South end of the parking garage on the top floor.

Doug

That looks like a great spot! It almost looks like you took it at ground level.

Post subject: Re: Adventureland etc
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:39 am 
FlightAware Member
TimCoble - FlightAware user avatar

azav8r wrote:
TimCoble wrote:
Now I live about 1/2 mile from runway 23.

For how long? Do you remember that old bar at the NW corner of Fleur and McKinley...the one with the "A" frame structure and the big stone fireplace? Barry's...I think was called. Damn that was a fun "joint".

I do remember Barry's and The Pier across the street from it.....

Post subject: Re: Adventureland etc
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:11 am 
FlightAware Member
azav8r - FlightAware user avatar

TimCoble wrote:
azav8r wrote:
TimCoble wrote:
Now I live about 1/2 mile from runway 23.

For how long? Do you remember that old bar at the NW corner of Fleur and McKinley...the one with the "A" frame structure and the big stone fireplace? Barry's...I think was called. Damn that was a fun "joint".

I do remember Barry's and The Pier across the street from it.....

Oh yeah...the Pier.... It then became a Stuart Anderson's didn't it? Remeber when there was really nothing down that stretch except for Kinly's golf with the driving range? :)

As a kid I used to ride my bike from SW 10th and Leland to the airport and hang on the fence. One day I was hanging on the fence at what was DMFS when Howard Gregory owned it...I hung out there a lot.... The receptionist came out and invited me in. She introduced me to the instructors and the line supervisor. Years later I flew out of there and worked the line for a time. And the rest as they say.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:30 pm 
FlightAware Member

That really is a cool story.
I first took the written when I worked the gas line for a summer in Mason City. Learned from Hap Westbrook at Hap's in Ames....Did most of my time in Sundowners out of Des Moines, though.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:11 pm 
FlightAware Member
wazzu90 - FlightAware user avatar

TimCoble wrote:
I first took the written when I worked the gas line for a summer in Mason City. Learned from Hap Westbrook at Hap's in Ames....Did most of my time in Sundowners out of Des Moines, though.....

I was driving through Mason City one time and saw the airport. I pulled off and cranked Don McLean's American Pie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:25 am 
FlightAware Member

TimCoble wrote:
Did most of my time in Sundowners out of Des Moines, though.....

From Elliot's? or with that flying club that used to be at their place?

Post subject: Elliotts
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:47 am 
FlightAware Member

Elliotts.....I looked into the club, but never joined. Seemed like good folk and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:23 pm 
FlightAware Member

I got my instrument flying those club airplanes.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:36 pm 
mbv9415 - FlightAware user avatar

jcisuclones wrote:
Anyone got spotting information on Chicago Ohare or Kansas City? I'm going to both of those places this summer.

If you are going to KC, make time for St Joe, MO. US 36 passes south of airport (with parallel service roads). They are flying C130's there, just float on in doing touch-n-go's so snapping several good pix aren't an issue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 am 
FlightAware Member
tyketto - FlightAware user avatar

mbv9415 wrote:
jcisuclones wrote:
Anyone got spotting information on Chicago Ohare or Kansas City? I'm going to both of those places this summer.

If you are going to KC, make time for St Joe, MO. US 36 passes south of airport (with parallel service roads). They are flying C130's there, just float on in doing touch-n-go's so snapping several good pix aren't an issue

Wow.. before my addiction to aviation began.. but IIRC, I-29 pretty much kisses the PAPIs for 19L/R at KMCI, and N.E. Cunningham is parallel to 9/27 there. Plenty of side roads off those to sit and spot.

But if you're going to do KMCI, KSTJ is a great place to stop, as well as KMKC (Wheeler Downtown). They recently just stored TWA's last L1011 for permanent display there, plus a ton of classic aviation memorabilia. It isn't that far from MCI, as I-29 ends in downtown Kansas City.

BL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 am 
FlightAware Member
davysims - FlightAware user avatar

TimCoble wrote:

How long ago was that? Back when Dwyer was still here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:10 pm 

jcisuclones,have you made it to the airport to watch planes this Summer?

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 am 
FlightAware Member

Boy, they Air Guard F-16s have sure been out the last week.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:33 pm 
FlightAware Member
jcisuclones1 - FlightAware user avatar

nssd70 wrote:
jcisuclones,have you made it to the airport to watch planes this Summer?

Doug

This is jcisuclones, my account wasnt letting me sign into the discussions page. I have been out at the airport, went out there on May 29. I know someone who flies for Principal Financeal and I went out to their hangar which is the last hangar on the right in some of your pictures like the American Eagle jet landing. I only saw a SKW CRJ-200 because weekends are pretty slow at the airport.

EDIT:
I double checked and it wasn't in any of your pictures. Just go to Google Maps and search 41.540502,-93.651141

Last edited by jcisuclones1 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:35 pm 
FlightAware Member

TimCoble wrote:
Boy, they Air Guard F-16s have sure been out the last week.....

Oh I know! Theyve been flying over my house every half hour!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:16 pm 
FlightAware Member

tyketto wrote:
nssd70 wrote:
I did catch a Southwest 737 on Saturday. It was a charter flight from Tacoma,WA. Have you ever gone to Omaha to watch planes?
Doug

If you ever go to Omaha to planespot, head around to the north side of the field, along Lindbergh Plaza. There are a couple of parking lots to the northeast past the post office that you can sit and spot all day. I used to go there all the time when I lived there. Unless the winds call for it, calm wind runways are the 14s and 18, and that parking lot there puts you right next to the PAPIs for 14R.

EDIT: okay.. I'm really going to date myself here, but who cares, eh? :) Okay.. What ever happened to Adventureland in Des Moines? I last remember going to it in 1985, and had fun there, but don't know what happened afterwards.. and obviously it isn't on Google Maps, but just to satisfy my curiosity.. did they pave paradise and put up a parking lot, as the song goes?

BL.

Would it be possible to show me on Google Maps? I can't find those parking lots.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:42 pm 
FlightAware Member
tyketto - FlightAware user avatar

jcisuclones1 wrote:
tyketto wrote:
nssd70 wrote:
I did catch a Southwest 737 on Saturday. It was a charter flight from Tacoma,WA. Have you ever gone to Omaha to watch planes?
Doug

If you ever go to Omaha to planespot, head around to the north side of the field, along Lindbergh Plaza. There are a couple of parking lots to the northeast past the post office that you can sit and spot all day. I used to go there all the time when I lived there. Unless the winds call for it, calm wind runways are the 14s and 18, and that parking lot there puts you right next to the PAPIs for 14R.

EDIT: okay.. I'm really going to date myself here, but who cares, eh? :) Okay.. What ever happened to Adventureland in Des Moines? I last remember going to it in 1985, and had fun there, but don't know what happened afterwards.. and obviously it isn't on Google Maps, but just to satisfy my curiosity.. did they pave paradise and put up a parking lot, as the song goes?

BL.

Would it be possible to show me on Google Maps? I can't find those parking lots.

Thanks

Here you go. If it helps, Lindbergh Drive is the only way to get to the GA side of the field.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.31699, ... 27637&z=15

BL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:08 am 
FlightAware Member

tyketto wrote:
jcisuclones1 wrote:
tyketto wrote:
nssd70 wrote:
Doug

BL.

Thanks

Here you go. If it helps, Lindbergh Drive is the only way to get to the GA side of the field.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.31699, ... 27637&z=15

BL.

Thanks! I found Linbergh Drive on Google Maps, but I just couldn't find the parking lots that you were talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:09 pm 
FlightAware Member

If you guys might not of known this already, but the Delta 747 is out at KDSM. I went out there a few days ago and got a shot of it. Heres the link to it.

http://flightaware.com/photos/view/314566-678dd9983bd5dfd723910bab609a86a0d58689b6/airport/KDSM/sort/votes/page/1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next