All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 pm 
New FlightAware Member
damiross - FlightAware user avatar

There was no urge for the dogs to stick their heads of the window? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:13 pm 
New FlightAware Member
damiross - FlightAware user avatar

Getting a pet (I refuse to call it an animal companion nor am I my pet's parent!) from a rescue organization is great. As I mentioned above, that's how we got Archie. Most of my and my family's other pets have also been rescues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 pm 
Warrior5B - FlightAware user avatar

coma24 wrote:
Frank, that is understood. However, there might be a 'softer' side to it. By that, I mean that a controller might be more likely to attempt to coordinate some enroute shortcuts more willingly for an Angel Flight or Animal Rescue Flight before a 'regular' flight.

I can tell you that using the callsign resulted in my landing fee being waived, ramp fee waived, and a $0.30/gal discount on gas at the FBO at KALB.

I've also heard reports of some controllers being 'PnP' (pilots 'n' paws) friendly at various facilities, although I'm not sure what that actually means.

You can always ask but like Frank said, unless they say "Lifeguard" "Rescue" or other priority callsign they fit into my sequence where they fit, even if that means DFnL.

I've worked out some pretty sweet stuff for Lifeguards before when they've requested. If I don't know you want something different, I can't coordinate it. If you got a special deal once, great. Even Lifeguards have to wait sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:08 pm 
Charter Member
coma24 - FlightAware user avatar

The reply above, and one email I got from a Boston enroute controller (I emailed him independently, he hasn't seen this thread) leads me to believe I was wrong in my assumption.

It sounds like ATC is not going to proactively work to get shortcuts for a relief flight of this nature, it's up to the pilot to ask for it.

I'm normally pretty shy about asking for shortcuts, based on my readings of Don Brown's blogs a few years back. It lead me to believe that ATC assumes everyone wants shortcuts when flying IFR (outside of training flights), hence, not much point in asking for it.

My own experience seemed to reinforce that (being given small shortcuts in quieter sectors without asking for them, and hearing other aircraft being denied long-range shortcuts into busy destinations that would involve inter-sector coordination), so I figured there was no need to request one. If it was available and convenient, I figured they'd already be issuing it.

I'll consider revisiting all of this, though, starting with asking for longer range shortcuts (if they'll truly reduce my flight time) in some of the quieter sectors while flying with a relief callsign, and see what happens. I'll also ask the on-duty controllers in nearby, relatively quiet TRACONs how they feel about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 pm 
FlightAware Member
JHEM - FlightAware user avatar

coma24 wrote:
It sounds like ATC is not going to proactively work to get shortcuts for a relief flight of this nature, it's up to the pilot to ask for it.

You'll find as you go through life that you rarely get what you don't ask for.

It's your right to ask for a shortcut. Nobody keeps score of the number of times you ask, so there's no harm if you ask on repetitive flights. If ATC can accommodate your request, they will. If they can't, just POR and don't take it personally.

Fair winds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:04 pm 
Charter Member

JHEM wrote:
You'll find as you go through life that you rarely get what you don't ask for.

For the most part, that's absolutely right. However, since I've received plenty of shortcuts in the past, without asking, the waters were a little muddied. I'd assumed that the presence of a relief might spur the controller to do even more to coordinate shortcuts behind the scenes, but I am starting to understand that it isn't necessarily the case, and if I want something specific, I should ask.

As an aside, I just finished putting together this short clip on the Valentine Fur Love transport from last Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:52 pm 
FlightAware Member
davysims - FlightAware user avatar

I'm surprised the FAA allowed the use of ARF as a callsign, simply because many airports fire department use the callsign ARFF (Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting - for the uninitiated). I know it would probably be rare, but it seems it could cause some confusion and a runway incursion with there were multiple ARF(F) on frequency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:29 pm 
Charter Member

The radio telephony callsign for ARF is "Animal Rescue Flight." As near as I can tell, the radio telephony callsign for the ARFF Incident Commander is "[airport name] Command." I can't find reference to the callsigns of their flights, though. The actual world "arf" is not used over the radio, so I'm guessing that while it looks 'close' on paper, I don't think there'd be an audible conflict over the radio.

Interesting point, though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:59 pm 
FlightAware Member
fholbert - FlightAware user avatar

coma24 wrote:

You need to know that ATC usually give short cuts when they are available to all pilots, even if they don't ask. You are asking for priority and giving an aircraft priority will other increase ATC's workload. Giving just one plane priority can result in delays of other aircraft for hours. Like when an accident is cleared from the freeway and it takes hours for the freeway to recover.

Because you have a healthy animal in the back is not justification to get priority over other aircraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:57 pm 
Charter Member

Frank,

If you read my earlier posts, I started out under the same assumption, that ATC already gives shortcuts when they're readily available. Speaking with an active-duty enroute controller in Boston, though, the waters have definitely been muddied....and I'm not even sure that it's a word :) He told me that he has no idea that I might be looking for a shortcut unless I ask.

I agree that a shortcut which results in delays for others makes no sense in this scenario. A shortcut which takes a phone call to coordinate, however...is one worth asking for. Yes, the animal is healthy, but if it's been flying around for 8 hours that day, if there's a possibility to shave 5-10 mins off the trip without it causing delays for others, then I think it's worth finding out.

To close the loop on the original posting, I was able to work with the ASDI folks at the FAA (thanks to the FA and ARF staff for the intro), and the ARF callsigns will start showing up in the ASDI feeds from tomorrow night onwards. I will assume that historical data will be not be available on FA, since the info was never sent to their system. Flights from Thursday onwards, though, should start showing up.

At the very least, it will allow teams on the ground to easily track all airborne ARF flights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:51 pm 
FlightAware Member
fholbert - FlightAware user avatar

coma24 wrote:
Frank,

If you read my earlier posts, I started out under the same assumption,

My Resume:

Commercial Pilot, Inst and ME
Former Air Traffic Controller (USAF and FAA)
American Kennel Club Judge

But you had to hear it from another controller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 am 
Charter Member

Frank,

I know your credentials very well. I wasn't sure how far back in time the 'former' part went, and it never hurts to speak to multiple sources about a subjective issue.

C'mon, man, you know I'm a Huge Fan(tm).

Post subject: Re: ARF call signs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:56 pm 
Paulms015 - FlightAware user avatar

The reason for these callsigns is so the controller can give me a slower rate of descent for animal comfort rather then slam dunk me on the approach. Also, so I am not given an undue delay, not for the animals, per se, but for the safety of the flight when having unruly animals would raise the pilot work load, especially in IMC. Single pilot IMC ops can be very work intensive. So like I said a animal with ear pain or uncooperative for another reason could pose a safety risk.