ATA/ATD Data exchanging

good day to you!

Our company would like to receiving actual departure/arrival time per flight/Onboard date from you by EDI,
which our system request a flight number and your system is replying the ATA/ATD per flight.

So my question is,
Can I receive ATA/ATD Data to our system by EDI using your API now on your webpage,
or should we develop new EDI with you for this?
*And for your reference,we’ll request about 5,000 flights per month.

You are welcome to develop your own application that uses FlightXML to access actual departure and arrival times. You may use FlightInfoEx to query specific flights on demand, or you may use pushed alerts to receive notification of when a flight departs or arrives. With that number of flights, your total costs would probably be less than $50 per month, particularly if you rely on pushed alerts.

Where can I find FlightInfoEx?
Could you give me an accurate URL of it or a sample query?

Actually, our company’s developer who checked FlightXML 2.0 Documentation said
your API is not a type what we need.

The way we’d like to connect you is that
our system requests flight No,onboard date and port , Your system give an ETD/ATD/ETA/ATA to our system’s Database directly.
And I think It demands an EDI developing between us.
In one word, we want data interfacing with you. It is possible?

If you are not clear about my requests, I’ll explain it to you by email. (if you’re OK, let me have your email address)
thanks

Documentation of that APIs is at online here:

flightaware.com/commercial/fligh … ightInfoEx

If you’re choosing to do JSON, the URL format would be:
flightxml.flightaware.com/json/F … &howMany=5

and the returned response is something like:

{"FlightInfoExResult":{"next_offset":5,"flights":{"faFlightID":"UAL12-1395038223-airline-0129","ident":"UAL12","aircrafttype":"B737","filed_ete":"03:07:00","filed_time":1395038223,"filed_departuretime":1395265920,"filed_airspeed_kts":395,"filed_airspeed_mach":"",
"filed_altitude":0,"route":"","actualdeparturetime":0,"estimatedarrivaltime":1395277740,"actualarrivaltime":0,"diverted":"","origin":"KIAH","destination":"KLGA","originName":"Houston Bush Int'ctl","originCity":"Houston, TX","destinationName":"LaGuardia","destinationCity":"New York, NY"},{"faFlightID":"UAL12-1394951680-airline-0102","ident":"UAL12","aircrafttype":"B737","filed_ete":"03:07:00","filed_time":1394951680,"filed_departuretime":1395179520,"filed_airspeed_kts":395,"filed_airspeed_mach":"",
"filed_altitude":0,"route":"","actualdeparturetime":0,"estimatedarrivaltime":1395191340,"actualarrivaltime":0,"diverted":"","origin":"KIAH","destination":"KLGA","originName":"Houston Bush Int'ctl","originCity":"Houston, TX","destinationName":"LaGuardia","destinationCity":"New York, NY"},{"faFlightID":"UAL12-1394865471-airline-0183","ident":"UAL12","aircrafttype":"B737","filed_ete":"03:07:00","filed_time":1394865471,"filed_departuretime":1395093120,"filed_airspeed_kts":395,"filed_airspeed_mach":"",
"filed_altitude":0,"route":"ELD4 ELD J29 MEM J42 GVE KORRY3","actualdeparturetime":0,"estimatedarrivaltime":1395104940,"actualarrivaltime":0,"diverted":"","origin":"KIAH","destination":"KLGA","originName":"Houston Bush Int'ctl","originCity":"Houston, TX","destinationName":"LaGuardia","destinationCity":"New York, NY"},{"faFlightID":"UAL12-1394779004-airline-0043","ident":"UAL12","aircrafttype":"B738","filed_ete":"02:46:00","filed_time":1394779004,"filed_departuretime":1395006720,"filed_airspeed_kts":450,"filed_airspeed_mach":"",
"filed_altitude":130,"route":"ELD4 ELD J29 MEM J42 GVE KORRY3","actualdeparturetime":1395011357,"estimatedarrivaltime":1395020040,"actualarrivaltime":1395019846,"diverted":"","origin":"KIAH","destination":"KLGA","originName":"Houston Bush Int'ctl","originCity":"Houston, TX","destinationName":"LaGuardia","destinationCity":"New York, NY"},{"faFlightID":"UAL12-1394692701-airline-0105","ident":"UAL12","aircrafttype":"B753","filed_ete":"03:46:00","filed_time":1394692701,"filed_departuretime":1394948100,"filed_airspeed_kts":476,"filed_airspeed_mach":"",
"filed_altitude":350,"route":"CUIT5 SAC J32 BAM LCU Q122 ONL FOD MYRRS BULLZ6","actualdeparturetime":1394950980,"estimatedarrivaltime":1394963880,"actualarrivaltime":1394964000,"diverted":"","origin":"KSFO","destination":"KORD","originName":"San Francisco Intl","originCity":"San Francisco, CA","destinationName":"Chicago O'Hare Intl","destinationCity":"Chicago, IL"}]}}

You can write an application to request the data from FlightXML and output it as whatever format your system requires.

More information about FlightXML, including pushed alerts can be found at flightaware.com/commercial/fligh … ation2.rvt

Thanks for your kind reply. :smiley:
We’re going to choose Jason or XML.

And one more question is that
In case we request ATD of Flight before its onboard time,
do you keep our request until ATD occured and give us ATD after departure,
or just skip our request and no reply because you don’t have ATD at that moment?

Depending on your answer, we’re gonna decide to
how many times we should reqeust per flight ,and choose which one between Jason and XML.

Requests made using REST/JSON or SOAP/XML are processed and returned immediately, so that your application can receive the current status. Both JSON and XML are priced identically, so the choice between the two should not be based on service cost.

Utilizing pushed notifications using the SetAlert method can allow your application to be less reliant on periodic status polling, however probably not entirely.

1.That means, In case I wrote as below,
your system doesn’t keep our request and give us only current status at that moment. right?

1. And what is the pushed notifications using the SetAlert method? Is it like an email alert or a type of API?

2. Finally, Pls let me know if it is possible.
    The way we want to interface with you is that once we give you type of data we need (EX. ATA/ATD) and information (Flight No, port, date,),
    You return the data when ATA or ATD occured. (not current status)
    In one word, we want to receive push notification by EDI.
    Is it possible? If new EDI development is needed, we’re willing to charge for it.

1. Correct, status is returned for time when the request is made, by design.

2. Pushed notifications are delivered by HTTP POST to the server address you specify, not email. The pushed notification JSON format is described on flightaware.com/commercial/fligh … ation2.rvt

3. I don’t know what you mean by EDI. Typically you would make your side compatible with our API, rather than us developing and maintaining custom infrastructure just to support your interface.

My two asks are,

1. To develop push notification, could you give me a any XML sample of ‘SetAlert’?
    Our developer said he needs it for developing. Sorry for bothering you.

2. And I wonder if you can send a push notification by XML, not JSON.
    I saw you offering only JSON format, but I wonder if you could develop for us, when we charge for development and usage.

*XML Example which type we want.
*,, mandatory

your id 687822338 b2bVM0340 HA 25 PDX HNL 2012-10-30T10:15:00.000 2012-10-30T13:10:00.000 DEPARTURE ARRIVAL

What programming language are you using for your backend development? Generally, when using a SOAP web service you do not manually write the XML but instead rely on a library to generate the XML request for you automatically.

Your arguments to SetAlert would be something like:

SetAlert(0, “HAL25”, “”, “”, “”, 1397692800, 1397779200, “{16 e_filed e_departure e_arrival e_diverted e_cancelled}”, true, 100);

See flightaware.com/commercial/flig … p_SetAlert for the documentation of SetAlert.

It would be possible for us to add support for your custom XML notification format, though you will need to provide us details about the notification format. Is this format an official standard that is used by other companies in the industry, or is this your own proprietary format? What are the values of SENDERID, RECEIVERID, and DOCUMENTTYPE? Can they always be the same for all alerts that we deliver to you? Are the ruleEvents always DEPARTURE and ARRIVAL, or are there other combinations? Is there a more complete document describing this format someplace?

Our programming language is Java.
I’ll let you know the complete XML format and decription after completely organizing it.
However format we need is not very different with that example.

In advance, can I know the rough price of developing push notification by XML?
How much will it cost to develop? and I wonder price to receive push alert by XML is same with when receiving by Json.

After discussing this with our development team, we are choosing not to introduce customer-specific delivery formats to our push notifications, particularly since we would need to add some method for the SENDERID, RECEIVERID, DOCUMENTTYPE values to be stored and transmitted along with your alert deliveries.

If you have control over your backend implementation, it will probably be easier for you to modify it to accept the JSON format that we provide. Alternatively, you can try implementing an intermediate service layer that receives our JSON format and then posts it back to your other service in desired XML format.

Well noted.

And my additional question is,

1.In regard to push notification, the event we trigger will be returned when it occured.
But if our system cannot receive that event when you send it, do you re-send it? or once you send it, you don’t care after?

1. And if flights or events we request does not exist in your system, there’s no return message? or you returned ‘no data’ message?
    And In this case, price would be charged for this query?

thanks

Only one attempt is made for each pushed event, however the success or failure of recently attempted alerts can be reviewed on your user’s account page.

It is not an error to create an alert for an ident or with criteria that may never match. Some users want to create alerts for unusual flights and be alerted if such a flight ever occurs. You can validate whether a flight ident has recently occurred in the past by using the FlightInfoEx function, if you want to eliminate the possibility of a data entry error or a flight for which FlightAware does not have any coverage for.

There is a single class 3 charge for each time SetAlert is called to create or modify an alert. Additionally, a class 2 charge is incurred for each delivered or attempted pushed event.

There is a single class 3 charge for each time SetAlert is called to create or modify an alert. Additionally, a class 2 charge is incurred for each delivered or attempted pushed event.

→ Sorry but I’m confused about pricing. Pls kindly correct me if I’m wrong.

We’d like to receive 2 event codes (DEP & ARR) of 5,000 flights per month by using push notification.
Then price would be = 5,000(flights) * (0.0079 USD (class 2 charge) * 2 (two event codes: DEP & ARR) + 0.0020 USD (class 3 charge)] = 89 USD
Pls check whether it is correct or not.
If not, pls let me know accurate price.

thanks

The class 3 (for SetAlert) is only incurred if you are setting an alert for every individual flight, which is dependent upon your usage scenario.

If you are always tracking all flights for a specific airline, then you only need to call SetAlert initially to establish the criteria you’re interested in receiving the alerts for, such as “HAL25” for all Hawaiian Airlines flight 25 flights indefinitely with no stopping date. (I think you can also create an alert for “HAL*” if you wanted all of their flights.)

If you are actually just tracking a different set of individual flights every day, then you may indeed need to call SetAlert to specify the flight number with start/end times for each flight.