Search by defined airspace and time interval (Meteors)

Is it possible to query the flight database by a defined airspace and time interval? I have been approached by an astronomer who observers Fireballs ( bright meteors) with a network of cameras that continuously monitor the night sky. He has observed a Fireball and there is an aircraft in the image. The astronomer wished to contact the aircrew to ask if they saw the object and to describe the event. He can also provide them with a video recording of the event. It is likely that the crew would have seen the object if they were looking out of the canopy. I believe that I have located this aircraft but the process is non-trivial. It would be much easier if a query could be constructed with a defined airspace and a time range for this and future events. In its simplest form, no graphical output would be required, simply a list of flights transiting the airspace for which the tracks could then be displayed to select and confirm the aircraft.
Here are the details of the observation; 2017 April 19 09:02:19UT lat -32.59 long 149.60 with the aircraft about 3km due north of Mudgee NSW Australia heading NE.
The group studies meteoroids which cause meteors and fireballs as these objects provide information about the composition of the early solar system. Attempts are sometimes made to find examples (meteorites) large enough to reach the Earth’s surface. The astronomer has had a long involvement in detecting Near Earth Objects e.g. large asteroids that my threaten the Earth.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Apologies if this facility exists and I have been unable to find it.

Regards,
Chris

In near-realtime you can search using the FlightXML Search or SearchBirdseyeInFlight methods.

For historical searches, contact the Custom Reports team.

1 Like