All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alert when "My aircraft" is picked up by my piaware
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:00 pm 
palmerit - FlightAware user avatar

I'd love to see an option to get alerts when any aircraft I've added to "my flightaware" is being actively tracked via one of my ADSB recievers so I can watch it on my local piaware radar.

Would this be a feasible/useful feature?

Post subject: Re: Alert when "My aircraft" is picked up by my piaware
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:05 pm 
FlightAware Staff
cbw - FlightAware user avatar

palmerit wrote:
I'd love to see an option to get alerts when any aircraft I've added to "my flightaware" is being actively tracked via one of my ADSB recievers so I can watch it on my local piaware radar.

Would this be a feasible/useful feature?

What is your thoughts on the usefulness of it? You want to know when an aircraft you are "watching" is nearby?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:55 pm 

I just think it'd be cool to know when a plane I'm interested in is being tracked by my reciever. Luckily, I happen to be close enough that I could potentially watch it taxi and such, which isn't really an option via the website itself. And finally, pilots who are close enough to the airport could know when things like maintenance people have turned on the aircraft and similar. (I'm not a pilot personally, so this is more theory than anything.)

So really, other than the "that's cool" factor, probably not a lot of practicality for most users, I guess. Without knowing the infrastructure/backend, I just thought.. you already know which aircraft I have in "My FA" and additionally the tracking part of the site knows when my reciever is picking up an aircraft (since it shows in the track log when it's my reciever that reported it) so I figured it probably wouldn't take a whole lot to add such a feature. Admittedly, without knowing.. it may be more effort than it'd be worth.

*edited for clarity*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:47 pm 
FlightAware Member
joelwiley - FlightAware user avatar

You could run PlanePlotter and use a conditional expression to post an alert when one is seen.
http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:07 pm 

joelwiley wrote:
You could run PlanePlotter and use a conditional expression to post an alert when one is seen.
http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

While this is true, I'd either need to run it on my pi (which already complains often that it can't run MLAT) or another piece of hardware. Since this installation is outdoors running in my barn, the additional hardware option isn't really a viable option.

Eh, I guess it doesn't really matter. I thought it'd be a cool idea, but if there is no interest, then it's not worth the effort even if the data is already available.