All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:40 am 
JimT1329 - FlightAware user avatar

I'm off to St.Louis next month and am after information about the Jetstar that was reported at Gay Street, St.Louis. There was mention of it possibly being N9739B s/n 5052 but appears no longer to be at this location. Can anyone confirm where this aircraft has been moved too?

Regards

Jim

Post subject: N18BH
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:15 pm 
FlightAware Member
bizjets101 - FlightAware user avatar

Bob and Delores Hope's old Jetstar is for sale for 400K
I believe it's in Texas, it's a 1967 731 but has only 9700
hours on it. Serial number 5099 and the 5th 731 conversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:23 pm 
FlightAware Member
porterjet - FlightAware user avatar

That's the trouble with the market these days, the engines are worth more than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:52 pm 
Jetstar - FlightAware user avatar

Anyone out there have any information on JetStar s/n 5089

JetStar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:43 pm 
FlightAware Member

5089 December 1989 was sold to David Tokoph it was registered N120AR at the time, and he requested N85DL.

However before it was re-registered N85DL it was sold to Montair Inc. of El Paso Texas in Jan 1990 - to Feb 1992 when registration was cancelled.

Aircraft was last spotted in Mexico - Jan 94 being used for spares by TAESA at Mexico City Intl Airport. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAESA and scrapped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:00 pm 
FlightAware Member

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 00486.html

Also 5089 was a Dash 8 pre-delivery registration was N9245R and delivered to Ford Motor Company as N324K in 1966.

It was re-registered in 1983 as N120AR with Asarco Inc, in June 85 registered to Larson & Pardi Aviation, August 88 to W. Larson, then 3 unknown ownership changes until David Topkoph Dec 89.

Was not upgraded to 731.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:41 pm 
geoff1 - FlightAware user avatar

jettrader wrote:
Does anyone have any info on Hound Dog II?
i grew up on it....was originally the engine manufacturer's - pratt & whitney....lotsa memories, a fantastic plane, still a legend....like riding in an old but impeccable rolls royce......pratt sold it to elvis...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 pm 
FlightAware Member

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N224MF Nov 29/10

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N700RM flying yesterday!!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N72GW Nov 17/10

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N77C Nov 28/10

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N900DB flying yesterday!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:51 pm 
geoff1 - FlightAware user avatar

[quote="damiross"]It's on display at Graceland:

unforutnately, houndog II no longer at graceland......owners (it was on loan to graceland) found more value in it now in parting it out about a year ago....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:57 pm 

Thanks for the reply about 5089, N120AR

I was the Chief of Maintenance on that JetStar from early 1979 to late 1981.

5089 was a former Ford Motor Co. airplane and the company I worked for, Asarco leased the airplane from Western Leasing, Van Nuys CA.

Fords maintenance was top notch, when we did the wing plank inspection, the company who did the inspection, Seaboard Tank Service said it was one of the cleanest wings they have seen, there was no corrosion or bacterial growth inside the fuel tanks.

5089 was built as a 6, but was upgraded at the factory before delivery to an 8, I believe the first actual 8 model was 5096 or 5097

This airframe was a prime candidate for the 731 conversion, because it already had the 8 package and the airframe was super clean, but Asarco was only leasing the airplane at the time and they did not want to invest the money into it because profits were down. Eventually Asarco shut the flight department down and laid off the pilots, fortunately for me I had already left the company because I saw the writing on the wall.

Airesearch was pushing the conversation on us, they had only 2 kits left and were trying to find takers for these last 2 conversion kits. We pushed the company on the conversation, but they were not interested in spending the money.

We flew her over 500 hours a year, we only had 2 Captains, but I was also qualified right seat so I also got to log a few hundred JetStar hours while I was there.

5089 was built in 1965 and scrapped in 1994, so it had a good 29 year life, not like the previous JetStar I was Chief of Maintenance on, 5009, built in 1962, scrapped in 1980 because of excessive corrosion in the wings, 5009 lasted for only 18 years and was to my knowledge the first JetStar to be intentionally scrapped not due to damage.

JetStar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:57 pm 

[quote="geoff1"][quote="damiross"]It's on display at Graceland:

unforutnately, houndog II no longer at graceland......owners (it was on loan to graceland) found more value in it now in parting it out about a year ago....[/quote]

I am surprised that the owners of Hound dog 11 are scrapping this JetStar for parts.

The parts from this JetStar serial number 5004, the 4th JetStar built are not worth anything except from the scrap value from the metal. This is unless the owner has other display plans for the airframe.

This is a 1962 model, and there were a lot of changes during production, so parts from an early Jetstar like this, which was never upgraded to a 8, which I can confirm because I have seen this airplane at Graceland, has almost no value on the market, considering that probably about 70 percent of the original JetStars have already been scrapped, there has to be an oversupply of parts out there.

JetStar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:32 am 
FlightAware Member

Elvis - last I heard the Jetstar was being auctioned off by Kruse Intl last year, maybe someone can find an update??? I think it was their Palm Spings auction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 pm 
FlightAware Member
tyketto - FlightAware user avatar

Okay.. it's taken me 11 pages to do this, and I've finally reached my limit.

Why is it that every time I see this thread and see the 'Jetstar' thread, I initially think of Jetstar, and not JetStar?

gahhhhh!!!! :lol:

BL.

Post subject: Jetstar Photos
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:10 am 
BethpageJet - FlightAware user avatar

Gentlemen

As advised in a previous post, I did some travelling in the US and Canada in Oct/Nov, and found a number of Jetstars along the way.

The photos of these can be seen on my website at www.visualapproachimages.com in the Jetstar gallery.

The USAF example at Travis AFB museum, CA was undergoing work at the time of my visit and wasn't accessible, sadly.

regards

Matt Birch - London ATC UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:37 am 
FlightAware Member
porterjet - FlightAware user avatar

Nice bunch of pictures. Where do you work in London? I fly a G2 into Stansted 3 or 4 times a year, HZ-HA1.

John in Saudi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:53 pm 
FlightAware Member

I've discovered your site in my internet travels in the past, but your photos are among the best!!!

Great collection of Jetstar shots http://www.visualapproachimages.com/gallery_288254.html just a note, the Canadian Jetstar is C-FDTX (you have it listed as C-FTDX) as a kid in Toronto I worked on the Innotech ramp and fueled that Jetstar (and their other 3) many times.

Your military shots are incredible!!! You must have an amazing collection of personal photos - but thanks for sharing the ones with us on your site!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:29 am 

Details corrected - thanks for that and your kind comments.

I need to get to Halifax now and photograph the other one !!

Matt

Post subject: More Jetstar frames
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:55 am 

Two more tracked down - photos on my website at www.visualapproachimages.com

One at a Tech College in Abu Dhabi, another (whats left of it anyway) at a salvage yard in the south UK.

Having seen every single Spey-powered Gulfstream (except 2 in India!), this is becoming a bit of a mission !

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:16 pm 
FlightAware Member

Just teasing . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:36 pm 

Bizjet,

Thanks for posting your new JetStar photos, especially that of 5202. It is sad for me to see the demise of JetStar 5202. This JetStar, registered N717 was delivered new to Allied Stores in 1976 and I think was the first JetStar 2 to go into commercial service.

When I was at Allied Stores around 1972 Lockheed was proposing restarting production with the updated JetStar, incorporating a lot of the changes that were done in the 731 re engine program, but because it was to be a new built airplane, other changes would be done as well. Lockheed hoped to sell the Air Force these new JetStars to replace the existing C 140 fleet, but the Air Force later decided to replace the JetStars with Gulfstream jets, starting with the G2

To lock in a production slot, Lockheed was accepting refundable deposits on the JetStar 2. 5201, the first Jetstar 2 was to be kept by Lockheed and used as the certification airplane, since the JetStar 2 was being built under an amendment to the earlier JetStar type certificate, all the had to be done for certification was the changes made to the airframe, not the entire airplane so one airframe was all that was needed.

5202 had a deposit from Ogden American Corporation, 5203 had a deposit from a foreign customer, and Allied Stores was assigned 5204, due to delays by Lockheed to finally start production, remember at this time they were totally involved with all the problems with the L 1011 TriStar, they held off announcing the commitment to start production of the JetStar 2. Allied Stores, to cover any cancellation of the JetStar 2 program, also signed a contract to re engine their existing JetStar 5009.

When Lockheed finally announced they were committing to the JetStar 2, both the foreign customer and Ogden American had already backed out, with Ogden buying a Gulfstream 2, so Allied Stores slot was moved up and they were assigned 5202.

The Chief Pilot of Allied Stores, a real conniver was playing games with Lockheed, every time Lockheed presented the contract, he would ask for something else incorporated into the airplane, Lockheed would agree, then have to re write the contract and it got to the point that Lockheed threatened to pull out of the deal and refund the deposit if Allied Stores did not sign the latest contract, which Allied Stores finally did.

Lockheed also used this airplane for the Paris Air Show in 1976 as a demo airplane. Allied Stores operated 5202 until about 1982 when they purchased a Gulfstream 3 and sold 5202. The Gulfstream, also carried the N717 number, was mentioned in another post on this thread about the owner of Federated Dept. Stores, which along with Allied Stores was taken over in a hostile takeover, merged and eventually forced into bankruptcy showing up in a hideously painted green and black G3, but so was 5202 and all its predecessors because the Chief Pilot loved that paint scheme.

I did not have much involvement with the JetStar 2, I was only there when they were proposing the new airplane, but when I left Allied Stores, I worked in the same hangar and saw this airplane there almost all the time.

I believe Allied Stores had the distinction of operating the first Jetstars to enter commercial service, I know that 5009 was bought new by Conoco in 1962 registered N540G and it beat by one day out of the completion centers the Gulf Oil JetStar 5007. Allied bought 5009 from Conoco around 1968 after Conoco bought a later production JetStar.

5009 was sold when 5202 was delivered in 1976 and would become the first JetStar scrapped in 1982 because of all the corrosion in the wings would have cost more to repair than what the airplane was worth.

Thanks for the memories

JetStar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:09 am 
emazingli - FlightAware user avatar

FlyNYC wrote:
How much fuel does a Jetstar burn???? ALL OF IT!

What do you mean "ALL OF IT"?? Expound it please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:59 am 
FlightAware Member

Jetstar originally had two Bristol Siddeley Orpheus turbojets, however when a contract couldn't be signed - instead they went with Four 14.7kN (3300lb) Pratt & Whitney JT12A6 turbojets.

The final model of Jetstar the 'II', along with the re-engined 731 Jetstars have Four 16.5kN (3700lb) Garrett TFE7313 turbofans.

The majority of bizjets flying today are twin engines with the exception of some of the Falcon line that have 3 engines.

That makes the Jetstar the biggest gas guzzler in the sky - and especially any older Jetstars still flying. So with four engines instead of two- it uses up whatever fuel you put in.

You've asked for a funny punchline to be expounded. (Though some of the older Gulfstreams also have a high fuel burn - the comment was meant to be 'funny', which it is.)

Expounded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:48 am 
FlightAware Member
FlyNYC - FlightAware user avatar

bizjets101 wrote:
Expounded

Thanks for expounding for me! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:36 pm 
FlightAware Member

Another sad ending for a Jetstar; Click Here HZ-TNA Jetstar 731 which was owned by Prince Turki bin Nasser/Kingdom Establishment and stored in Geneva since 2004 - was chopped up this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:24 pm 
duaneporte - FlightAware user avatar

for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jetstar- ... 230ff35901

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next