Shortest GulfStream 550 Take off distance?

Had a question and could not find the answer anywhere online.
I saw this video and I do not know if it is the angle of the camera but it looks like this 550 gets of the ground in a very very short distance.

I know the min. take off distance and landing according to the books but
does anyone know how short of a runway a G550 or that matter any Gulfstream can really be off the ground in? 1,500ft? 2,000ft? 3,000ft? with out getting to into temp and weights and so on…

If you do watch the video mute it the music is scary/weird.

Monster G5 - YouTube)

Thanks

It’d take way more then 1,500 feet to get something that weights 48,000lbs with no fuel off the ground. those Rolls Royce would have be more like Rocketdyne Block II SSMEs.

Any pilot with a sense of wanting to live to fly the next day would adhere to what the book says.
Wiki lists the TO distance of the G550 as 5,100 feet but that might be at max weight and on a hot day. But I can tell you taking off in a LJ-35 at max weight we need 5,000 feet.

Ground roll?
no way!?

KAPA mid August like 6,000

I think you are misunderstanding my question. I know the stated takeoff distance as expressed by Gulfstream and I know that there is always Weights/temps/alt. to calculate a takeoff distance.

If you watch the video the G550 is from a stop to in the air in 11 seconds. Every other video I watched to compare it no Gulfstream was in the air in less then 22 seconds.

So my question is if the plane is light and leaving a runway at a good cool temp at sea level how many feet could it really be off the ground in.

If you simple say it takes 4000ft of runway to get a G550 in the air and it takes 22 seconds to complete that then the video shows the G550 getting up in 11 seconds. Divide that by 2 you get 2000ft of runway… question is… IS that possible?

I’ve seen a Falcon get airborne in about 1700 feet at sea level, heading into a slight headwind:

I bet the video and real time ratios are not 1:1. It has been edited severely for artistic (I use the term slanderously) purposes.

If we knew which airport the aircraft was departing you could reference the 2nd taxiway which the aircraft passes just airborne for your distance.

I agree. Im betting the video has been sped up for whatever reason. If you look at the passing cars in the backround they appear to moving at a rather high rate.

I don’t have the books but I would bet a 550 with not much fuel at sea level on a cool day could get airborne in about 2000 ft. A light G2 under the same conditions has a BFL of less than 3000 ft., figure with everything running the ground roll would be a good 500 feet less than that. more or less.

G2: 500 MSL, 15C, 0 wind, BOW 38,000, TOW 44,000, BFL is 2960.

on the other hand, 500 MSL, 35C, 0 wind, TOW 64,800, BFL is 7340. (Max temp at that weight is 37C)

Not sure about the speed up on the video. I watched it a few more times the cars in the back ground seem to move normal to me.(along a freeway?)
Also if you watch the plane make its turn to line up it is completely normal slow turn. If it was speed up I think that would be a key part of the video and you would really notice the plane taking a quick turn that would make you notice…something was different.

Like said depends on the winds too. Those Rolls engines on the GV and globals and really get them up quick. I have seen a global 5000 w/ fuel enough for a 3 hour test flight, no baggage, no pax, cold day, strong headwind get up in what had to have been less than 2000 feet from a dead stop. I swear it looked like it hit the tail on the ground when he pulled back and just kept climbing at a very steep attitude. He took of in at least half the distance a global usually takes. I watch a lot of test flights on globals, 605s and 850s.

What was the tail # of this 550? Looks like Greg Normans bird N1GN.

I’ve seen Limbaugh’s Gulfstream liftoff runway 32 at PBI, which is 6900 ft, at what I guessed was 3,500 to 4,000 ft.

Rough numbers I ran put the roll at about 2750 feet for an empty G550 with calm winds on a standard day with only 2000 pounds of fuel in the tanks. Vr is 117 knots.

Then it’s pretty much a certainty the fat bastard wasn’t on board!

(Sorry, but I did hold off replying for more than a month!) :smiling_imp:

You had all that time to cogitate a witty retort and that’s what you come up with? That’s the best you can do? roflmao

Then it’s pretty much a certainty the fat bastard wasn’t on board!

Do you remember how much weight he lost?

Of late I’ve learned from sad experience on the Forum, as well as in lecture halls, to always address myself to the slowest members of the group and eschew obfuscation.

IOW - KISS!

I have seen Arthur Blanks G-IV…Ernie Els’ GV and The Tisch Family Global 5000 all get out of HXD. We are 4300ft.

Almost all Boeing jets take 30 seconds to get the wheels off the ground. If you are in a Citation 560 and 12 seconds has passed and your not wheels off the ground you have a problems! Some of the prop planes I fly take 20 seconds to get to 105kts to lift off, others can reach 50kts in about 5 seconds and be off the ground climbing? So it just depends on the aircraft.