N706TJ GII-TT taxi pulls u-turn - into fuel truck . . .

source jetphotos

source jerslice/Flightaware

flightaware.com/live/flight/N706 … /CYVR/KBFI

News Story/video/photos

Job opening: Two G-II pilots wanted for “slightly scratched” Gulfstream.

nycaviation.com/2010/04/09/photo … ing-field/

Three pair of eyes and nobody saw the other one coming?
Good thing the driver made it, I never knew Grumman designed the tip tanks to be the same height as a fuel truck windshield.

I just noticed that the door on the G2 is still closed…must be getting the paperwork straightened out.

Hey I’ve got a G1159 SIC type… what’s the pay?

Me thinks we are better off staying put. Unless you mean the fuel truck drivers job.

Highly possible the fuel truck driver didn’t hear/see it thanks too loud engines and poor visibility. Even if he did, it’s hard to divert a massive 10-ton vehicle fast.
You’d be surprised how many things in aviation are that “perfect height”…such as, the wingtips on a BE90 and a C172 are almost identical height, so the wing of one can’t pass over the other while moving planes in the hangar. :unamused:

Bottom picture: paperwork done. Must’ve been a fairly short resignation letter.

Royer

Yeah, I hear you. But, I fly a tip tanked G2 (not that one!) and I have been a lineman, unless both of them made a turn just seconds before there is no reason for the end result.

Aircraft always have right of way over ground vehicles, so this will be a case of was the fuel truck “parked” in its proper location. If it wasn’t, then the driver will be at fault, even if the aircraft hit him.

From the KIRO TV report:

According to an eyewitness, the pilot missed a turn on the taxiway and tried to make a U-turn. A fuel tanker truck was about a 100 yards behind the plane.
“So when the jet came around the fuel tank, the end of the plane’s wing struck right in the front of the cab. The driver at the very last second tried to back out of the way,” said witness Ian Maddox.

Porter, Dave…all points considered, I agree. However, it is ultimately the captain’s aircraft provided it’s not being towed. I could see both sides of this though…I’ll be interested to see how it pans out. I’m curious to know if this was in a non-movement or movement area.
Also, Daveysims, as I understand it, the truck wasn’t parked, but rather taxiing…

My question now is, how close was the fuel truck following the aircraft, that it was able to whip a u-turn and hit the fuel truck quick enough for the truck to not be able to react and get out of the way. As I said, the FAA gives aircraft right of way over all vehicles (fire trucks included), so usually fault is the drivers. However, depending on whether they were in the movement area, and if ATC was involved, blame could be laid on anyone. The result of the investigation should be interesting.

Your first thought was my first thought as well…how fast can a GII whip a u-turn?? Apparently fast enough to not give a fuel truck enough time to react. At the very worst (I carried a radio pretty much all the time in the truck) I would’ve called the GII on ground freq and told him I was behind him and I need a second to get out of the way. Not the cleanest way to do it, and tower probably wouldn’t be thrilled I used their freq, but if it stops a collision, then I’d say it’s worth it. At worst I’d call tower on the phone and explain what happened/why I barged on the freq.

discussions.flightaware.com/view … 868#109868