Any new info on SKY KING?

Hello- I just read on a pilots’ forum that Sky King is now down to one 737-400, and things are very iffy, Anyone out there heard anything?

I also saw that. I have not seen their aircraft flying much lately. Supposedly their only remaining flying is a contract with ICE which expires Jan 15. They have not been doing any sports charters this fall and the amount of Cuba flying they have been doing has shrunk dramatically, which I think is very telling of their situation.

I am a bit concerned since I’m scheduled to start training with themout of town the second week in -January! Seems an odd time to be hiring, given the situation, and yet I saw jobs posted again online on Dec. 16! Please keep me updated on anything and everything! I’m hoping things work out, but I sure would like to know very soon if there will be no training/job or a delay in the training.

So did you start your training?

No- They postponed it " a minimum of four weeks". I am not counting on it happening, but you never know! Unfortunately, many people quit their jobs to attend, since the company waited until Thursday afternoon to notify us , and we were to be in Lakeland for training Sunday .
I’m keeping an eye on flights, etc…They flew some ICE flights after the 15th, so maybe that contract was renewed. Hope things work out! Any updates or info appreciated!

Bad news :cry: - According to Wikipedia today-

Employees were notified on January 26, 2013 that Sky King, Inc. was ceasing operations and all company communications were halted and shutoff. There was no indication given to the length of the cessation or the permanence of it.

Still hoping that it won’t be permanent , and they will fly again, but it’s not looking good!

I have not heard a word since the shut down. How long before the certificate becomes dormant? Anyone hear anything about other companies possibly purchasing it?

Finances are a part of the FAA approvals, I don’t know the time limit but at some point they will have to surrender the operating certificate back to the FAA.

I heard Sky King was starting up again! Has anyone heard anything about when, and is there a contact at HR? Any info appreciated! I did read an article online talking about the sale .

LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE STARTING UP AGAIN - I BELIEVE OUT OF ORLANDO. THEY HAVE DOT PERMISSION TO USE 6 BOEING 737’S AND AN ADDITIONAL 4 IF NEEDED. THEY APPARENTLY DON’T HAVE A NEW WEBSITE BUT WIKIPEDIA REPORTS THEY ARE PLANNING TO SERVE 7 DESTINATIONS. THEY MUST BE FLYING UNDER THE RADAR AS THERE ISN’T ANY NEWS ABOUT THEM. I DID HAPPEN TO NOTICE THEY ARE CURRENTLY USING A BOEING 737-400 (REGISTRATION N741AS) BUT THE STRANGE THING IS THAT THIS IN AN EX- SKYKING AIRCRAFT BUT NOW PAINTED IN AN XTRA AIRWAYS COLOR SCHEME. NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS ALL ABOUT. I WISH THEM LUCK BUT WE’LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE IF IT LASTS.

Thanks for the info. I saw there was a flight last night, actually, and was curious about which aircraft was flying. I really hope they are able to make it. Maybe one day I’ll finally be able to work for them. Right now, I have some conflicts- wish I’d been able to start last January as planned. Any info is really appreciated :slight_smile:

I was looking up Xtrairways -It lists a fleet of 4 737’s , with one based at MIA. I’m thinking that Sky King is operating that aircraft for them, and that’s the reason it is in the Xtra livery? There were several recent news items about the Xtra rebranding , showing that aircraft.

I remember when skyking had the 737-200s…worst looking and flying aircraft I ever saw at KBUF
always MTC issues, credit cards bouncing, blowing tires on a 8000ft runway weekly, mechanics from Russia that barely knew how to fix a bike let alone a plane
missing panels on wing, fuel panel always inop
The Buffalo Sabres stopped flying on them as well as most other NHL teams 05-07.
N737Q, N739AT, N439DL I believe…
gotta love a jet that’s flying in the US that looked better and maintained better as Air Mozambique…
in US they had AirTran radome, Delta engine cowlings, Southwest seats, and US Air parts here and there
id never fly on them…neither should you… they are not worth your life