Embrear

I recently flew an embrear 190 from philly to raleigh nc. In mid flight, the pilot came on the loudspeaker and said we have a computer failure and then 5 min later he said we would still be landing in raleigh. Is the embrear really that safe. I have heard of many incidents involving computer glitches, fires in the engine and hydraulic failure.

Please share specific information for those failures you mention and I’m sure the collection of folks here can comment.

Yes.

A computer failure would just mean, in my opinion as a non-pilot, that the pilots would actually have to fly the plane by hand.

Sorry, I have been away for the past 3 days. A direct quote from the FAA: The existing AD currently requires, for certain airplanes, repetitively replacing the low-stage check valve and associated seals of the right hand (RH) engine’s engine bleed system with a new check valve and new seals, replacing the low pressure check valves (LPCV), and revising the maintenance program. For certain other airplanes, the existing AD requires replacing a certain low-stage check valve with an improved low-stage check valve. Since we issued that AD, we have received reports of uncommanded engine shutdowns on both Model ERJ 170 and ERJ 190 airplanes due to excessive wear and failure of LPCVs having certain part numbers. This proposed AD would also, for certain airplanes, require replacing certain LPCVs of the left-hand (LH) and RH engines, which would be an option for other airplanes. We are proposing this AD to prevent the possibility of a dual engine in-flight shutdown due to LPCV failure.
On 2 Jet Blue Flights, both engines shut down. I do not know the specific dates, however, the information is from a captain of Jetblue. I also believe on Delta Airlines, the computer system indicated complete structural failure of the aircraft and indicated rudder loss. Now, after hearing all of this, what do you guys think of the Embrear. I understand it is new to the market with alot of hiccups, but, these seem to not be “minor”.

AD’s are akin to recalls in the auto world. You going to stop driving your _______ the next time there’s a recall?

It’s anything but new to the market. I’d get on a 170 or a 175 or 190 tomorrow. Same with a 787 or anything else. Period. My advice if you’re concerned? Don’t fly. Odd are you’re more likely to die driving to the airport than flying.

Ok, thanks for your response. I understand. Im just coming from what happened with the 737. It was doing great until, boom, 3 crashes, in a span of 2 years because of rudder malfunction. I know each plane is different and flying a plane is the safest transportation in the world.

Can’t believe I’m playing this game… but…

The first rudder hardover was 22 years ago in Colorado Springs. Second and the one that pretty much uncovered the PCU issue was in 1994. There was a third in 1996 (Eastwinds) that did not result in any deaths. Boeing put the new PCU in all subsequent 737’s and any older airframe had to have the new PCU installed.

So… again, if you are going to wring your hands over these things, my suggestion is you just don’t fly…

Delta doesn’t fly any Embraer aircraft - so I doubt they would have anything to say about them.

The E145 has been in service 17 years and has an excellent safety record.

Compass, Chautauqua and Shuttle America all fly either 145’s, 170’s and 175’s all for DL Connection. Skywest doesn’t fly Embraer jets but some of the older 120’s.

The emb145 is one of my favorite aircraft to maintain. Its a very safe airplane and is built like a tank with wings. I would assume emb would have built the newer 190 series with similar qualities.
Either way there are soooo many redundant systems on aircraft its insane. the reason there not falling out of the skys left and right is the engineering that goes into them and people like me that maintain them.
If you put your car in for maintance as much as planes go through you would be broke! I dont care what your income is unless your a 5 and up millionare.

Yes, but DELTA doesn’t operate any, and would have no mechanical experience with them.

That would be one interpretation, yes.

Delta might not operate any, but I would not be surprised if some of their ‘partner’ feeder airlines did.

I remember when the 190s were broken in with JetBlue. They had a few glitches on the ground that literally required the crew to shut down and restart the engines, much as you would with a wireless router on the fritz. Embraer tackled that problem pretty quickly. No word on whether they had to count to 30 before restarting…