C-130 Crash in Indonesia...crew of 12?

im a former USAF crewchief on the C-130H and we only had a crew of 5…pilot, copilot, navigator, crewchief, and loadmaster.

on the news reports they state a crew of 12 was onboard the C-130 that crashed.
who would the other 7 people be?

flight nurses? military police?

someone explain?

People who died in the accident.

reuters reported that there were a crew of 12 as well as the passengers
just wondering who the 12 were…5 is a stardard crew for the C-130E/H

Also reporting there were “paying passengers” aboard, strictly against military policy.

Yes in the USA Military services 5 is normal. But I found when I was an Air Crew in the Navy we found a lot of other countries have many more crew than we required.

now reports saying 117 on board…max occupancy for the C-130 is 93…so obviously the passengers were sardines

Also very common.

From the news I heard, they said the plane lost “an engine” shortly after takeoff. My question is: what were the other 3 engines doing?

Also was reported that the military often flew the families of those stationed at remote places so imagine a number of the passengers were children.
Maybe they count 2 or 3 for 1 adult. Who knows. Not the best safety record.

I can explain that one. If it was very hot day and you were not quite at min control for engine out you could lose it very easily.

I was a P3 FE and I remember one sim we did hot day and engine fail just after rotate. Now the pilot made a slight mistake and the plane heeled over in a hurry. They froze the sim and asked him how he was recovering. After much discussion, and even though he had that discussion and plan of saving it, he didnt and we cart wheeled the sim in.

all it took was his initial wrong rudder input with two goods over running the one with the help of the big rudder and we were done.

I got an above average for my answer but that is another story for another day.