MSP-LAX, Longest CRJ-700 Route?

The news that United is adding MSP-LAX service on a CRJ-700 surprised me. The westbound flight is scheduled at 4 hours! :open_mouth: This seems, possibly, to be the longest CRJ flight, I think I would prefer a Delta 767-300. 8)

1 Like

Makes my ass hurt just thinking about it.

I should have expected the generic jimcander long CRJ flight reply!

Last count had me doing 198 CRJ legs since 2000. That’s better than 10% of my total. I think I have a fairly good idea of how uncomfortable that length flight would be on that airframe. A friend of mine calls it the Devils Chariot. You prefer that?

1 Like

Yes, it is, barely. The previous longest CRJ-700 flight was MCI-SFO. MSP-LAX is 36 miles longer. Other United Express CRJ-700 flights over 1400 miles include IAD-COS and the previously-operated ORD-GEG.

While not as good at the E-Jet, I’d rather be on a CRJ-700 for 4 hours than a sardine can 737 or airbus.

You must not have shoulders…

You must not have shoulders…

Yeah really! I guess the 2-2 seating is nice though.

I can barely handle the IAH-BFL flight on the RJ. My wife has flown it twice and hates it. She opted to pay $40 more per person to go through Denver at Christmas (yeah, I questioned her logic on that one being winter myself) to get to BFL so we weren’t on a RJ for 3+ hours.

drdisque, can you see United throwing a 737/A319 at this route someday or are the loads still too low?

I think UA is using the CRJ-700 on this route because they don’t want to trash the yields and since SY is already on the route and will pretty much always be the cheapest option. With the CR7 they can target corporate/last minute traffic and run a decent yield. With mainline they would either have to trash the yields and fill the plane with SY fares or run half empty. The smaller equipment also allows the 2x schedule.

Thanks for the info/insight.

I agree on the last minute corporate customers. I know from talking to people I still know at BFL that they have customers that don’t want to go through Denver during the late fall to early spring for weather, but would rather roll the dice than sit on the RJ for 3 1/2 hours to Houston. I have heard that passengers have even said they would prefer the EMB-170, not that I know if it is any roomier, but I think it is the perception of that look of aircraft.

We booked through DEN for our Christmas trip mainly to keep a 16 month old off of a cramped RJ for 3+ hours and a shorter layover…that and the fares were $1 different. That is my main deciding point for going through DEN or IAH, though both are on RJs.

Post. Of. The. YEAR.
I rarely laugh at much on here – but this one sure caused it.
:mrgreen:

1 Like

My god! Well I would much prefer a Delta Airline B757. It is probably a ton nicer than a United CRJ. :mrgreen:

I believe most small planes are underestimated, at least in south america there are many mid-long routes that are operated with small planes.

Wow pretty long flight on those littl planes

Good grief! What a bunch of wimps here! The CRJ-700 is not that small of a plane. It seats up to 78 passengers. Back in the day it wasn’t unusual for DC-9’s and 737-200’s to operate routes of about this length. They sat anywhere 70 to 120 passengers.

Me? I wouldn’t mind flying on a smaller aircraft because they have some advantages that larger aircraft don’t such as the ability to board and exit quicker due to the lower number of passengers.

1 Like

Whilst I agree that capacity-wise, the CRJ700 is not a small plane, anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time in the CL65 thru CRJ900 will attest to the fact that if you have shoulders, the plane in general leaves a lot to be desired. At least they fixed the window height on everything subsequest to the CL65/CRJ200. By the by… is there a difference between the CL65 and the CRJ200?

Oh… FWIW and IMHO, small is Beech 1900C/D…

Even smaller is the Cessna 402. At one time a good portion of the commuter airlines operated this aircraft. I flew it a couple of times. Really nice aircraft for short routes.

Cape Air flies them out of ALB. Haven’t had the pleasure yet.

If memory serves, Cape Air is the largest operator of Cessna 402’s.

One of my trips on a Cessna 402 was Lihue to Honolulu via Princeville Resort (about 10 minutes block-to-block from Lihue) on OK Air. (OK = Oahu and Kauai). The other trip was Molokai to Honolulu. The flight to Molokai was on a DC-3. This was on Air Molokai - Tropic Air. Unfortunately, the airline’s f**ing insurance company caused the airline to go out of business because, after many, many years of NO accidents and NO incidents and NO passengers killed or injured, they raised the insurance rate on the DC-3 “just in case.” (Insurance companies are in the special bucket of mine that contains companies and people that are shty.)

They go to all the local garden spots… Ogdensburg… Watertown… Messina… Boston! :stuck_out_tongue: