JetBlue Emergency Landing

For those of you that missed it, JBU292 made an emergency landing at LAX with a nose gear problem. For the mostly accurate details, you can read more on cnn.com.

Few sparks or flames but this is the image that’s circulating:

It was interesting to see the huge traffic spike on FlightAware as countless people tracked JBU292 while the events unfolded.

Quite a bad news day for JetBlue since they previously made headlines when it was announced that JetBlue epxects to have an unprofitable quarter.

The giant flame is from the magnesium rim burning.
Perhaps Canyon Blue should be renamed Blue the Tires.

:laughing: nice one

However, i believed that there was no real danger of the aircraft crashing. The A320 was desinged to sustain FLG stresses much greater than what happened. They just put it on the air because they had no other news exept the same thing over and over again about hurrican rita

Sorry if there are some informational errors. This is only what ive heard. :wink:

jetBlue 292 was about the 7th time this has happened to a member of the Airbus A320 family (and the 2nd for jetBlue). I don’t think the nose gear has collapsed on any of them.

jetBlue 292 was about the 7th time this has happened to a member of the Airbus A320 family (and the 2nd for jetBlue). I don’t think the nose gear has collapsed on any of them.

What was the 1st time for jetBlue?

“Bluebird” landed New York in November 2002 with the same problem and the same result.

Priceless!

Actually, the above is incorrect. Watch the video carefully.

The flames were caused by… drum roll please… :smiley:

Runway centerline paint.

Everytime the front nose gear hit a striped line, the flames flared up. The friction of the nosewheel caused the paint to catch fire!

The rim did cause sparks, and you will notice that after the front nose tire falls off the rim AND when the nosewheel drifts off the centerline…

Allen

While the paint may have added to the effect (and the yellow part of the flame), the missing half of each rim was a huge part of the flame. The color of most of the flame, white, is the same color as magnesium burning.

While the paint may have added to the effect (and the yellow part of the flame), the missing half of each rim was a huge part of the flame. The color of most of the flame, white, is the same color as magnesium burning.

Still not so sure I agree with your assessment.

I just looked at the video, and the only time you see flames is when the plane runs over the white striped lines.

The pilot landed to the left of the centerline, and no flames can be observed until he hits the first white paint line. Flames shot out when he crossed 8 or 9 lines. When the plane drifted right of centerline, all you see are a shower of sparks coming from the front nose gear, no flames whatso ever.

If it was the magnesium burning, then it should have still continued to flame???

I just wonder, what is the main composite of centerline paint, since there is reflective material in it.

Allen

Now I ask you: When there’s a 30 or 40 foot plume of white and yellow flame under your keester, does it really matter what it is that is burning? :slight_smile: