Does Delta fly it's 747-400s on any domestic (USA) routes?..

I really want to fly on the 747-400, and have for a long time. But I don’t have the time or money to take an international trip. Does Delta fly the 747-400 on any domestic routes?

Google yields: google.com/webhp?sourceid=c … stic%20747

currently they do not.

Just putzing around last night when I couldn’t sleep, it appears that there is JFK to LAX Qantas in the middle of the night, goes onto to Sidney. Not Delta, but if you are just looking for the type.

You cannot book that flight unless you are continuing on with Qantas to Australia.

There are currently no scheduled domestic passenger 747 routes in the U.S. (even none to Hawaii).

DL occasionally subs a 744 in on a domestic route such as DTW/JFK/MSP <–> ATL when positioning it before/after maintenance, but this doesn’t happen on a regular or predictable basis

On November 30, Delta will fly a 747-400 on two ATL-MSP-ATL rotations. DL 340 will depart ATL at 7:30 A.M. and arrive MSP at 9:03 A.M. The return (#2345) will leave MSP at 10:15 A.M. and arrive ATL at 1:41 P.M. On the second trip, DL 744 will depart ATL at 2:46 P.M. and arrive MSP at 4:30 P.M. The return (#1799) will leave MSP at 5:35 P.M. and arrive ATL at 9:05 P.M.

This is on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, one of the busiest travel days of the year. Not surprisingly, a round trip ticket will cost $480; but that is still better than a ticket to Tokyo. I would love to catch one of these myself. You still have 2-3 years before Delta retires their fleet, United will begin phasing theirs out in 2018 when the A350-1000s come on the line. http://flightaware.com/squawks/view/1/24_hours/popular/44580/Delta_CEO_Boeing_747s_will_be_retired_by_2017

This message has been deleted by the poster.

Currently, the only US destinations Delta 747s fly to are DTW, MSP, and HNL. And Delta has announced the remaining 13 will be retired by 2017.

Boy! check out the tail number N675NW It’s flying domestic this season

N675NW/DAL8860 ATL-PHX, PHX-CLT was for a sports charter.

Hi RWB, please educate me, how do you find out it’s the sports charter??

It depends more on deductive reasoning than anything.

I have learned a few things in this regard:

1. Charters usually correspond with a game.

2. NFL teams usually charter 757s or widebody aircraft. Widebodies especially during the playoffs.

3. Many times, flight numbers are dedicated to a certain team. Flight numbers are usually above 5000 for charters. Delta 8860 is the Arizona Cardinal’s charter flight number, all of the actual flights to road games and many of the corresponding ferry flights (to and from a hub) operate under this flight number.

4. Look for unusual airlines and/or aircraft types on a certain route. In this instance, Delta does not fly PHX-CLT non-stop on a scheduled basis, nor do they offer 747 service on any of their routes from either city.

5. Because they are smaller, baseball, basketball, hockey teams, etc. are harder find based on aircraft gauge. Knowing a team’s schedule, though, and looking for unusual flight numbers and routes corresponding to the schedule should reveal sports charters.

Here in Phoenix, there will be a plethora of charters for the Super Bowl along with a great number of aircraft upgages on existing routes.

Does Delta fly it’s (contraction of it is) 747-400s on any domestic (USA) routes?

Does Delta fly its (proper word in the case)7474-400s on any domestic (USA) routes?

Sorry - my pet peeve is people that don’t know the difference between “it’s” and “its”, “their” and “there”, “to”, “too”, and “two”, etc.

The FA Grammar Police strikes again!

You ain’t see nothin’ yet! :mrgreen:

Hey, me a Japanese…

And, how much does it cost to charter a 744 ? Japanese pitcher chartered a 787 from Tokyo to NY last year…

http://www.privatefly.com/us/private-jets/large-airliner-hire/Boeing-747-400

Around $25,000… an hour!

And that’s cost, typical charter rates are closer to $30000 per hour.