WIFI - or - LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE

Got my new PI and PIAWARE running good yesterday so today I decided to my a copy of the working copy as backup. Used win32diskimager to copy files to Windows computer and to write files to new SD card. Decided to test new card and found it seemed to work okay except for no networking. Tried to fix it, but no joy; so put original card back in–same problem. Went through the discussions, tried a few things, but nothing worked. Put cards in different PI–same problem. Rebooted router; no change. I don’t seem to have any of the “iw” files. Found several interesting files in /etc/network/, but not sure which one to run or how. IPCONFIG -A gives eth0 and lo; no wlan0. Also tried Ethernet cable, but still no network. There has to be a command to turn the interface on; can someone help me? Thanks.

Insert the microSD card in card reader of Desktop/Laptop.
In Windows Explorer, double click the drive letter of microSD card.
This will open the folder /boot and show lots of files and some folders.

(a) To enable SSH: Right click in /boot folder, and create a new blank file named SSH or SSH.txt

(b) To enable Wifi : In /boot folder, open file piaware-config.txt using a text editor like Notepad, and scroll down till you see this text:

wireless-ssid MyWifiNetwork
wireless-password s3cr3t99

Replace MyWifiNetwork by your router’s wifi ssid, and s3cr3t99 by your router’s wifi password.
Save file piaware-config.txt

Insert the microSD card in Pi and power up. Both the Wired & Wireless SSH will be enabled.

also check you piaware-config.txt for the following entry:

rfkill yes

this turns off WiFi and Bluetooth, no matter what WiFi settings you have. Removing/commenting out that line should enable Wifi/Bluetooth, or use:

rfkill no

Thanks for your reply. Everything is set up as you suggested, but I still have the same problem. It was working fine before I started to make a copy as backup. I feel the original and backup were corrupted when I made the backup. I’ll try reloading my img file on another sdcard to see what happens. Thanks again!

Thanks for your help. RFKILL was set to no. I’ll try making another copy of my img in case the file was corrupted. Thanks again.

I ended up rebuilding it and I’m back up. Still don’t know what happened to my other three cards.