WiFi drops

I am having some weird issues. Let me preface by saying, I’ve never had this issue before.

I set up my PiAware using the wired connection. I then installed the WiFi dongle. Until recently I was able to run the Pi wireless without issues. However, now I turn my Pi on, it boots without issue and then begins to ping. Within about 10-30 minutes though, it will drop the network connectivity altogether and while it is still running, the wifi dongle is not blinking. I don’t believe it is a power issue, as it has been working fine for over a year and I am using a 5V 2A power supply.

The WLAN interface just seems to go down and not recover.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Try disabling power management.
raspberrypi.org/forums/view … 9&p=647343

Thank you for your suggestion. I don’t know what the issue is. What I ended up doing is buying this amazon.com/gp/product/B007PTCFFW and configuring it as a client access system, and plugging the Pi into the ethernet port.

So far this seems to have resolved the issue.

I use a VAP11G amazon.com/Wireless-Dreambox … rds=vap11G for the same thing - mainly since I had it laying about doing nothing.

No wifi config on the PI needed.

I have a little different issue, I have a new RPi set up that is right on the edge of the wifi range. It will drop and then not reconnect. I have to unplug and plug in again to get it to connect. I see a script in the flightaware set up instructions, will that script send the wifi dongle into scan mode and try to reconnect when it drops?

Yes if the connection drops it will try to bring up the connection automatically. It will not scan just keep trying to reconnect to the specified access point. This should work in your case to reconnect if the connection does go down.

flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build/optional#wifi

Ditto here. My problem with the wi-fi drops started the day before Thanksgiving. Prior to that’s, rock solid performance. Then, without explanation, the drops shave been occurring. At times I can run for a few minutes but rarely more than an hour without have to disconnect power and forcing a restart.

Ted

This is exactly the symptoms that originally had me post this. Rock solid performance, and then all of a sudden, boom, disconnect after disconnect. I spent too much time troubleshooting it. I am now using ethernet with a wifi extender. My RPi sits outside in a weatherproof box.

The wifi drops were sudden and it was unclear as to why it was happening. No matter what I did to force it to reconnect, including a cron job to ping google and then reload the wifi dongle, allowed it to work.

using your router scan for other near by wi-fi networks and see if there are any clashes.

Or if you can’t scan, just pick another channel on the router and see if that works any better. You might have to try a few to avoid running into other nearby routers. …Just an idea.

I ended up buying this and configuring it to a client. I set it up on a RPi at the edge of my wifi range to test my set up. I have not lost connection yet. Thank you for the suggestion.

This device is going into a system that is a 100 mile drive from my house. I wish to have the best chance that this will not lose connection. Question, do I need to worry about disabling the power management on the RPi or is that only a wifi concern?

Thank you!

May not be an option but I use homeplug/powerline adapters for my attic RPi.

No drops and does the job nicely.

A pair of plugs can be had quite cheaply these days, but performance depends on the quality of your house wiring.