What would I gain from Upgrade?

Just wondering, been reading all the topics and not sure what an upgrade will gain me. I really dont need Wifi as Im hard wired to my router via a switch on my
desk that runs my Desktop, printer and Xbox (all hard wired), switch goes right to FIOS router.

The reason Im asking, Is my very bad luck sometimes when I do, especially since I have to do a full re-image. My system has been working
flawlessly and the old adage if it isnt broke comes through.

Thanks

I assume your talking about upgrading to a pi3?

Kinda dependent on how busy your area is whether you gain much by going to a Pi3 as the extra processing power might not be needed or used.

If your on about just upgrading to the 3.0.5 version of piaware the sd card image really is plug and play (on Ethernet) even if you don’t go to a pi3.

Sorry Not PI3

from 2.1.5 to 3.0.5

If you use an RTL-SDR style dongle(inc the FA dongle) the decoder is vastly superior to 2.1.5 image.
If you already use dump1090-mut then it won’t be very different.

You get different maps. google has been dropped due to licencing issues. Openmaps can take a while to get use to. The Bing maps, take a tiny bit of work(applying for a key and adding it to a file) but look very similar to google maps.

I have used dump1090-mut for so long I forget what was in 2.1.5.
I think different colours in the list for MLAT(Blue), ADS-B(green) and time expired position or positionless aircraft(white).
There are altitude colours. Heavy aircraft have better images. Optional Range rings.
Ability to sort, in the list, by distance, signal strength, aircraft ID, ICAO Hex address etc.
Better error handling. 100-200+ bug fixed.

NEXRAD Weather is available in the latest Dump1090-MUT version(US Only). Not sure when it will make it to the FA version.

Actually, I think Im using Mutability … I forgot to check that :slight_smile:. So wont gain much, so Ill stay with what I got …

Yeah the improved dump1090 decoder is probably the biggest benefit.

Another upgrade benefit is with MLAT for blocked flights. For some MLAT flights now, FA scrambles the hex code (I’m seeing about 8% of MLAT aircraft scrambled).

With Piaware 3, you get positions for them and can track them but they show up like TIS-B in italics with an anonymized hex, as pictured below.
With Piaware 2, I don’t think you see positions for these aircraft at all.

You can just upgrade mlat-client since you already have dump1090-mutability (that’s what I did).