All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is the Maximum Range I can Get?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:36 am 
FlightAware Member
phillx19090 - FlightAware user avatar

Sadly didn't work for me.

Quote:
@abcd, just rename the relivant files in "/usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html" in case you need to restore them then copy in the ones from lignumaqua's git hub link.
Restart dump1090-mutability and all done.

Quote:
The files changed are all in the public_html folder:

Tried both but no change to gmap.html display.

Phill

EDIT I've just opened gmap and have the reset map reset range and toggle track buttons, but everything else is as before and buttons don't work.
EDIT 2 opened it again and now it all works ...... :arrow:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:50 am 
FlightAware Member
lignumaqua - FlightAware user avatar

phillx19090 wrote:
EDIT I've just opened gmap and have the reset map reset range and toggle track buttons, but everything else is as before and buttons don't work.
EDIT 2 opened it again and now it all works ...... :arrow:

It will need a browser refresh to force re-downloading the changed JavaScript and CSS files.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:42 pm 
FlightAware Member

Great job lignumaqua,

I thought I had refreshed it. I then emptied the cache and typed in the address again. Funny how it came in a bit at a time. TBH it's not the first time I've seen this delayed reaction on Debian.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:11 pm 
FlightAware Member

phillx19090 wrote:
Great job lignumaqua,

I thought I had refreshed it. I then emptied the cache and typed in the address again. Funny how it came in a bit at a time. TBH it's not the first time I've seen this delayed reaction on Debian.

Thanks again.

More likely it was the browser caching files. Sometimes needs a force hard refresh (or multiple soft refreshes as you did) to force them out!

In most browsers a Force/Hard refresh is usually:

Windows: Ctrl + F5
OS-X: Command + R
Linux: F5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:07 am 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
phillx19090 wrote:
Great job lignumaqua,

Thanks again.

More likely it was the browser caching files. Sometimes needs a force hard refresh (or multiple soft refreshes as you did) to force them out!

In most browsers a Force/Hard refresh is usually:

Windows: Ctrl + F5
OS-X: Command + R
Linux: F5

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time. :D

Actually this is strangely addictive. :shock: I've been sat here watching the green range ring growing, and looking for high level traffic that might just pull the line out further.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:07 am 
FlightAware Member
blueskyspotter - FlightAware user avatar

lignumaqua wrote:
I've been experimenting with live plotting the maximum range within the normal dump1090 Google map. In the image below, the red and blue polygons are the 10,000 ft and 30,000 ft predicted polygons from HeyWhatsThat.com.

The green polygon is continuously updated as new positions come in showing the maximum range actually achieved in the current session at any altitude. Actually the polygon is saved in browser Local Storage, so it will survive between web sessions and you can keep building it up for as long as you like. It's quite interesting to reset this and then watch as aircraft move and 'push' the polygon larger. :lol: The map shown here was after about 6 hours of collecting data for the range polygon.

It follows the shape of the predicted 30,000 ft contour fairly well. I'm not sure if the dead area south west of San Antonio is because I can't see it, or because it's just not an area where flights normally track. I ought to plot the 40,000 ft contour instead I think.

Wow! I like that heywhatsthat in the gmap and ring.. And also those altitude.. It makes the window busy.. How you guys did this?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:46 pm 
FlightAware Member

blueskyspotter wrote:
Wow! I like that heywhatsthat in the gmap and ring.. And also those altitude.. It makes the window busy.. How you guys did this?

Please see this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:02 pm 
FlightAware Member

Made a few more changes/additions to the standard map. In particular I've added a heatmap option.

This uses the standard GMaps heatmap layer. This can be quite expensive in terms of processing if there are lots of updates. Thus, to simplify things and keep resolution down to a reasonable level, I've implemented it using a 400 x 400 overlay grid where each grid square is approximately 1 mile square. Every time a new plane enters a grid square for the first time, the count for that grid square is incremented. The heatmap is then generated from the grid using the counts as weighting. I've made the radius setting sensitive to the current map zoom so the heatmap is dynamic and looks reasonably sensible at a range of zooms. Zoom in too far though and you will see the underlying grid. It will initially show usign the history stored in the browser, and will then grow from there. Performance seems fine, even on my iPad, however you will see some slow down in map panning and zooming when the heatmap is shown.

You can also make an argument for using a grid like this in that we are trying to identify flight corridors. Those corridors have a non-zero width so we don't want a plane that flies 100ft to the left of another to be seen as in a different corridor. I'm not sure what the width of those corridors are and perhaps 1 mile is too coarse a resolution, but it seems to produce reasonable results.

Notes:
1. The heatmap generates the grid centered on the SiteLat and SiteLon position set in config.js. If these aren't set then the heatmap will be disabled.

2. Heatmap defaults to OFF, select 'Toggle Heatmap' from the settings menu to show it.

3. The grid is processed every 5 seconds, so expect a small delay in a new color/dot appearing after a flight enters a new grid square.

The second change was to the growing map options,. To save space I've moved these to a drop-down menu under the 'Settings' button at the top of the sidebar.

All changes in Github on https://github.com/lignumaqua/dump1090

PS - I'm not 100% sure I've got the grid code correct for all latitudes and longitudes, particularly those that cross a meridian (I'm looking at you in the UK). Please let me know if there's a problem. :?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:50 pm 
FlightAware Member
caius - FlightAware user avatar

Working OK in London. Doesn't seem to be any issues across the meridian.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:06 pm 
FlightAware Member
crkbday - FlightAware user avatar

lignumaqua wrote:
heatmap

Thank you again. Straightforward addition.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:34 am 
FlightAware Member

Excellent addition, thanks so much.

Also works fine across the meridian here in Spain, N38.858 W000.5

Phill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:37 am 
FlightAware Member
mgunther - FlightAware user avatar

lignumaqua wrote:
Made a few more changes/additions to the standard map.

Have not tried it yet but have two wish list items:
1) Ability to toggle range on/off (in addition to resetting it).
2) Like to retain the columns for messages and age in the aircraft table.

Overall, I like the various layout improvements and vastly increased usability on small screens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:25 am 
FlightAware Member
sesom - FlightAware user avatar

I made a timelapse for 24 hours to see what is happening "over me" and to watch the range grow. Here are 24 hours in 3 minutes:

https://youtu.be/aQ_7l8iQx8g

I did not implement heatmaps yet, made too many changes to lignumaqua's version in the meantime. But I will make another timelapse with heatmaps in the next days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:38 am 
FlightAware Member
mgunther - FlightAware user avatar

@lignumaqua: I find that in some areas of the map, the range does not follow the actual recorded flight path. See the example below: the range line is painted some distance to the south of the track but it should be right on the track. I had reset the range just a few minutes before and this is the first aircraft in this area.
What could be the reason for this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:48 am 
FlightAware Member
sesom - FlightAware user avatar

mgunther wrote:

I suppose the reason is, that the green rangeline is drawn with only 360 points and therefore is not very accurate. I changed the code so the line consists of multiples of 360 and tried 3600 points. But then the line looks like a moire-pattern, because the line is more exact than the aircraft positions are.

I got good results with 1080 points, aircrafts are more on the line, not near the line:

But as you can see, you will get more peaks when the line-resolution is higher. For long-time-observations it's okay, but it takes some hours till you get a proper rangeline.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:46 am 
FlightAware Member
tjowen - FlightAware user avatar

Running the heatmap version on three of my sites, but it seems that the heatmap does not display above 48 degrees latitude even though the aircraft are clearly visible and the green coverage extends just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:48 am 
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

sesom wrote:
I made a timelapse for 24 hours to see what is happening "over me" and to watch the range grow. Here are 24 hours in 3 minutes:

I did not implement heatmaps yet, made too many changes to lignumaqua's version in the meantime. But I will make another timelapse with heatmaps in the next days.

Amazing to see the "fast-forward" play.
Which software you used to record the video?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:31 am 
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

To watch maximum range curve grow on my gmap.html using lignumaqua's scripts reminds me adsbScope, the software I used duringe 2013-2014 to plot the planes on a map, and also to plot the maximum range.

Both the VRS & dump1090 during 2013-2014 did not have range plotting facility, just live display of planes on google map. VRS started range pltting in 2014, but wont save the range data when computer or VRS was shutdown, while adsbScope did save the data and on restart of computer or adsbScope the max range will start from the state it was when shutdown. Only late 2014, VRS added the facility to save the max range data on shutdown.

Because of this range plotting & range data saving qualities of adsbScope, I have extensively used it on my Windows Desktop & Laptop for first two years for my antenna experiments. I did not have RPi during 2013-2014, and got my first one in beginning of 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:46 pm 
FlightAware Member

mgunther wrote:
@lignumaqua: I find that in some areas of the map, the range does not follow the actual recorded flight path. See the example below: the range line is painted some distance to the south of the track but it should be right on the track. I had reset the range just a few minutes before and this is the first aircraft in this area.

As sesom says, the range is calculated at 1 degree intervals so, at large distances, that can represent quite a wide band. I chose this resolution deliberately for a number of reasons.

1. This matches the resolution of the Heywhatsthat predictions

2. Plane positions often jump at long ranges as signals are lost and reacquired. Setting a fine resolution often ends up with gaps as flights jump over values. The code only uses 'real' positions, not the estimated ones.

3. The whole process is somewhat approximate. Using a very fine resolution implies an accuracy that isn't actually there. Particularly when many positions come in through MLAT.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:48 pm 
FlightAware Member

tjowen wrote:
Running the heatmap version on three of my sites, but it seems that the heatmap does not display above 48 degrees latitude even though the aircraft are clearly visible and the green coverage extends just fine.

Here's a screen shot, no heatmap north of about 48*.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:51 pm 
FlightAware Member

sesom wrote:

Great fun, I like it! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:55 pm 
FlightAware Member

tjowen wrote:
tjowen wrote:

At the moment the code uses a grid that extends 200 statute miles in each direction from your site. I don't know how your range circles are set, but could that be the 200 mile line?

Perhaps I need to increase it to 250 miles. I didn't because the data at that distance is sparse and somewhat unreliable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:58 pm 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
tjowen wrote:
tjowen wrote:

At the moment the code uses a grid that extends 200 statute miles in each direction from your site. I don't know how your range circles are set, but could that be the 200 mile line?

Perhaps I need to increase it to 250 miles. I didn't because the data at that distance is sparse and somewhat unreliable.

I can see out to 270 nm, can I suggest 300 Nautical Miles?
..Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:00 pm 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
tjowen wrote:
tjowen wrote:

The demark line shown in the heatmap pic above seem too straight to be 200 statue miles at all points. The rings shown are at 50 Nautical mile increments.
..Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:03 pm 
FlightAware Member

mgunther wrote:
lignumaqua wrote:
Made a few more changes/additions to the standard map.

Have not tried it yet but have two wish list items:
1) Ability to toggle range on/off (in addition to resetting it).
2) Like to retain the columns for messages and age in the aircraft table.

Overall, I like the various layout improvements and vastly increased usability on small screens.

Yes, I agree about the range on/off. Now I've added the drop down menu there's room to add more controls.

As to the columns, I was sure someone would want the ones I removed! :) it's a compromise between the space taken by the sidebar and the space for the map. To me, it's the map that's interesting, not the sidebar. Let me look at some options to add/remove columns.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next