All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is the Maximum Range I can Get?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:36 pm 
FlightAware Member
sesom - FlightAware user avatar

This seems to be the hack-dump1090-mutability-thread, so maybe somebody can help.

I really like the autoselect-feature of http://www.adsbexchange.com/ and tried to implement it in dump1090, but failed. ADSBExchange is able to automatically select the nearest aircraft and show the detailed data and the aircraft's track. As soon as another aircraft is getting closer, it is selected.

There is a function called selectPlaneByHex() in script.js, but i did not find a proper solution where to call it (finding the nearest icao-hex is not the problem).

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:32 pm 
FlightAware Member
lignumaqua - FlightAware user avatar

sesom wrote:
This seems to be the hack-dump1090-mutability-thread, so maybe somebody can help.

I really like the autoselect-feature of http://www.adsbexchange.com/ and tried to implement it in dump1090, but failed. ADSBExchange is able to automatically select the nearest aircraft and show the detailed data and the aircraft's track. As soon as another aircraft is getting closer, it is selected.

There is a function called selectPlaneByHex() in script.js, but i did not find a proper solution where to call it (finding the nearest icao-hex is not the problem).

Any ideas?

Yep, that should be possible to add. Give me a little while and I'll push out a new rev with this as an option. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:36 pm 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
sesom wrote:

Any ideas?

Yep, that should be possible to add. Give me a little while and I'll push out a new rev with this as an option. :)

Now in place.

Once set this option will check every 5 seconds for the closest aircraft and select it. Selecting an aircraft manually, by clicking on either the table or the map, will toggle auto-select back to off.

Files here: https://github.com/lignumaqua/dump1090

(If you are already using my mods, then the only files altered this time were gmap.html and script.js)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:46 pm 
FlightAware Member
Frazpo - FlightAware user avatar

While your taking requests. (ha)
Would there be a way to make the planes smaller so you could expand the map out and see them in smaller scale
This actually happens for a brief moment when I zoom the map out and it looks really cool.
It would really be handy when the planes are avoiding weather and you could see a larger area of the map.
It would look like this,,,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/544u98q5x8pvo ... e.png?dl=0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:39 pm 
FlightAware Member

Frazpo wrote:
While your taking requests. (ha)
Would there be a way to make the planes smaller so you could expand the map out and see them in smaller scale
This actually happens for a brief moment when I zoom the map out and it looks really cool.
It would really be handy when the planes are avoiding weather and you could see a larger area of the map.
It would look like this,,,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/544u98q5x8pvo ... e.png?dl=0

That makes sense. The size should be somewhat proportional to zoom. I'll take a look.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:55 am 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
Now in place.

Thanks a lot for your support! Works like a charm!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:26 am 
FlightAware Member

sesom wrote:
lignumaqua wrote:
Now in place.

Well, actually not always. I live close to an airport, when aircrafts land at this airport, the disappear after a while (reaper()-function). In this case, the autoselect stops working and it is not possible to manually select an aircraft - F5 is the only way to start over.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:24 am 
FlightAware Member

sesom wrote:
sesom wrote:
lignumaqua wrote:
Now in place.

Well, actually not always. I live close to an airport, when aircrafts land at this airport, the disappear after a while (reaper()-function). In this case, the autoselect stops working and it is not possible to manually select an aircraft - F5 is the only way to start over.

Ah! I wondered about that then, because the aircraft closest to me never get reaped, forgot about it. :? . Now I know it fails, I'm sure I can fix it! Likely need to add a line to the reaper function.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:22 pm 
FlightAware Member

1. Bug fix for auto-select closest aircraft.
(This was nothing to do with the 'reaper' function. I had forgotten that flights sit in limbo for a while after data stops flowing. After 60 seconds with no data they are removed from the map but are still present in the main table. They get removed completely after 5 minutes. The previous version was locking on to those invisible flights in the gap between 1 minute and 5 minutes.)

2. Added support for varying icon size with map zoom. This is deliberately fairly restricted so that the icons don't get too small. The large size is unchanged, the smallest at very wide zoom is 0.4 size) Here's what that size range looks like:

Image Image

Files in https://github.com/lignumaqua/dump1090 (script.js and planeObject.js were edited in this rev)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:24 am 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
(This was nothing to do with the 'reaper' function. I had forgotten that flights sit in limbo for a while after data stops flowing. After 60 seconds with no data they are removed from the map but are still present in the main table. They get removed completely after 5 minutes. The previous version was locking on to those invisible flights in the gap between 1 minute and 5 minutes.)

2. Added support for varying icon size with map zoom. This is deliberately fairly restricted so that the icons don't get too small. The large size is unchanged, the smallest at very wide zoom is 0.4 size) Here's what that size range looks like:

Image Image

Files in https://github.com/lignumaqua/dump1090 (script.js and planeObject.js were edited in this rev)

Very nice. Thanks for the updates.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:54 am 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:

Thanks for fixing! AutoSelect works fine now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:09 pm 
FlightAware Member

I was always missing flight information in dump1090, so I implemented it today. Data is from VRS's StandingData-database, I wrote an importer and a json-converter similar to the implemented plane-database. The flight-database is quite big (224451 flights vs. 31107 aircrafts), but my desktop (old) and my receiver (Odroid C1) can handle it smoothly. Lookups at startup are deferred and do not block the map.

On the right side there is a new block for flight information (only visible if flight is available in database) and operator + flight-from/to are visible when the mouse hoovers of an aircraft (as shown for Qatar Airways in the screenshot).

Javascript is not my preferred language and the Ajax-stuff to access to server-side database is fiddly, so I'm till optimizing the code. If somebody is interested, I will share the code. But I want to avoid another GitHub for yet another variant of dump1090. Right now we are having a dozen of dump1090-implementations (no need for them), we have obj's mutability-version and lignumaqua's version. Not optimal. The best solution would be to implement lignumaqua's and my code into the official dump1090-mutability repository. While working on the code I found some typos, missing flags and other bits and bobs that should be fixed. Obj, are you reading this thread? What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:06 pm 
FlightAware Member

sesom wrote:
If somebody is interested, I will share the code. But I want to avoid another GitHub for yet another variant of dump1090. Right now we are having a dozen of dump1090-implementations (no need for them), we have obj's mutability-version and lignumaqua's version. Not optimal. The best solution would be to implement lignumaqua's and my code into the official dump1090-mutability repository. While working on the code I found some typos, missing flags and other bits and bobs that should be fixed. Obj, are you reading this thread? What do you think?

FYI - that's how Github works. If you want to submit changes then you clone the repository and make the changes in your own version. Once you are happy you submit a pull request to the original repository to request that your changes be incorporated into it. You can either clone my repository and submit pull requests to me, or clone obj's repository (which is what I did) and submit pull requests to him. Either way you need to create another clone. :)

I'm not completely happy with the changes I've made so I've not submitted any pull requests to obj yet. In particular the heatmap initialization really slows page startup down so I need to improve that or, at least, make it optional.

I would also understand if pull requests back into the master were rejected. obj and FA may want to keep the default version as simple as possible. That would make sense too. They are the ones who have to provide support for it, not you and me! :?

Great addition by the way! I'd be very interested in incorporating this. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:31 pm 
FlightAware Member
phillx19090 - FlightAware user avatar

Quote:
Great addition by the way! I'd be very interested in incorporating this. :D

I would too! It occurs to me I ought to stop taking and learn about github 8)

@sesom: Thanks for sharing. From your image it looks like my brother lives a short distance away from you.

Phill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:33 pm 
FlightAware Staff
obj - FlightAware user avatar

I am most happy to take pull requests that improve the interface as it's really low on my list and not my area of expertise anyway. Only request is that you split it up so there is one feature per PR, rather than one giant patch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:20 pm 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
FYI - that's how Github works.

Well, I know how Github works :) My question was more, if Obj/FA are willing to accept changes from us, but Obj already answered that question.

I will clone Obj's GitHub and publish my changes in some days. I am still polishing my code, I will wait till you submitted your pull request and them submit my own pull request. I have some more ideas for the flight-box, added a progress-bar for the flight since the last posting ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:12 pm 
FlightAware Member

sesom wrote:
I have some more ideas for the flight-box, added a progress-bar for the flight since the last posting ...

Very nice! :D

Sorry about misunderstanding on your question, I didn't mean to offend.

My work now is how to break down the changes I made into individual pull requests. Many of them interact. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:23 pm 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
Made a few more changes/additions to the standard map. In particular I've added a heatmap option.

This uses the standard GMaps heatmap layer. This can be quite expensive in terms of processing if there are lots of updates. Thus, to simplify things and keep resolution down to a reasonable level, I've implemented it using a 400 x 400 overlay grid where each grid square is approximately 1 mile square. Every time a new plane enters a grid square for the first time, the count for that grid square is incremented. The heatmap is then generated from the grid using the counts as weighting. I've made the radius setting sensitive to the current map zoom so the heatmap is dynamic and looks reasonably sensible at a range of zooms. Zoom in too far though and you will see the underlying grid. It will initially show usign the history stored in the browser, and will then grow from there. Performance seems fine, even on my iPad, however you will see some slow down in map panning and zooming when the heatmap is shown.

You can also make an argument for using a grid like this in that we are trying to identify flight corridors. Those corridors have a non-zero width so we don't want a plane that flies 100ft to the left of another to be seen as in a different corridor. I'm not sure what the width of those corridors are and perhaps 1 mile is too coarse a resolution, but it seems to produce reasonable results.

Notes:
1. The heatmap generates the grid centered on the SiteLat and SiteLon position set in config.js. If these aren't set then the heatmap will be disabled.

2. Heatmap defaults to OFF, select 'Toggle Heatmap' from the settings menu to show it.

3. The grid is processed every 5 seconds, so expect a small delay in a new color/dot appearing after a flight enters a new grid square.

The second change was to the growing map options,. To save space I've moved these to a drop-down menu under the 'Settings' button at the top of the sidebar.

All changes in Github on https://github.com/lignumaqua/dump1090

PS - I'm not 100% sure I've got the grid code correct for all latitudes and longitudes, particularly those that cross a meridian (I'm looking at you in the UK). Please let me know if there's a problem. :?

How can you reset heatmap? Like you can range.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:16 pm 
FlightAware Member

Frazpo wrote:

It resets if you reload the web page. At that point it uses the recent history in dump1090 to generate a new starting heatmap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:42 pm 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
Frazpo wrote:

It resets if you reload the web page. At that point it uses the recent history in dump1090 to generate a new starting heatmap.

OK, Thanks. I did notice it started "close" to over. Thanks for your addons.

Post subject: What is the Maximum Range I can Get?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:36 am 
FlightAware Member
usafpride - FlightAware user avatar

Installed and everything looks good.

Feature request: ability to choose altitude for range map

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:28 am 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:

I'm having a really strange behavior on my installation regarding both heatmap and rangeline. It's even more inapprehensible for the rangeline. The rangeline is stored in the browser's localStorage, the localStorage is stored in a file (~/.config/google-chrome-beta/Default/Local Storage/http_192.168.1.38_81.localstorage in my case). When I reset the Range and then reload with F5, the rangeline does not start at zero and it is not like it was before the reset, it is some old data coming from "somewhere". Somewhere, because I really could not figure out where it is loaded from. I deleted localStorage in the browser (tried both: Developer console and chrome://settings/cookies#cont) and I even deleted the localStorage file itself and then restarted Chrome. When the website is loaded, I see the same rangeline again. Very very strange, has my Chrome some magicStorage build in?

After a while I found a solution: Reset the rangeline and then restart the dump1090-mutability-service on my receiver. When I hit F5 it starts with a brand new rangeline. Javascript is running on the client, localStorage is on the client, nothing is stored on the server, albeit restarting the server helps. Must be magicStorage.

Range is initialized in script.js before it is filled with data from localStorage, it should be either empty or from data from localStorage:

Code:
var Range  =  new Uint32Array(361);

// Get current range array from locastorage
if (localStorage && localStorage["Range"]) {
    Range = JSON.parse(localStorage["Range"]);
}

When I have the resources-tab of the developer-console open when I press F5, I can see localStorage[Range] is empty for a split-second, then it is filled with data from localStorage for a second and then it is filled with the data from nowhere (aka magicStorage). Isn't that odd?

The heatmap shows a similar behaviour, when I restart with F5 I see an already filled heatmap, not only for the history of stored tracks, but for more or less all the area I have reception. I wrote a resetHeatmap()-function, but that does not help. The only solution to start the rangeline and heatmap over is to restart dump1090-mutability. I am not an expert in Javascript for sure, but maybe somebody has an explanation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:31 am 
FlightAware Member

usafpride wrote:
Feature request: ability to choose altitude for range map

Please describe that in more detail. Multiple rangelines for 10000, 20000, 30000 feet?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:55 am 
FlightAware Member
mgunther - FlightAware user avatar

sesom wrote:
I am not an expert in Javascript for sure, but maybe somebody has an explanation.
From what you describe, it seems that dump1090 saves a short history while it is running. For instance, this is what I have right now:

DUMP1090 v1.15~dev
Aircraft (total): 7 Messages: 70.4/sec
(with positions): 7 History: 277 positions

Perhaps the range line and heat map draw from these 277 positions in my case?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:10 am 
FlightAware Member
phillx19090 - FlightAware user avatar

Me too!

DUMP1090 v1.15~dev
Aircraft (total): 7 Messages: 56.3/sec
(with positions): 7 History: 341 positions

Phill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next