All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is the Maximum Range I can Get?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:12 pm 
FlightAware Member
lignumaqua - FlightAware user avatar

tjowen wrote:
I can see out to 270 nm, can I suggest 300 Nautical Miles?
..Tom

We could, but there's a gotcha. Nothing comes for free. Increasing from 200 miles to 300 miles takes the number of points in the grid from 160,000 up to 360,000. That's over twice as many points. This will slow things down even more, particularly on slower devices. It may even cause memory issues in some browsers. I chose 200 miles as it seemed a good compromise and worked on all the devices I tested.

Let me look at making the distance configurable, then you could make your own mind up as to the compromise between performance and range. It would then be your fault if it broke! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:15 pm 
FlightAware Member

tjowen wrote:
The demark line shown in the heatmap pic above seem too straight to be 200 statue miles at all points. The rings shown are at 50 Nautical mile increments.
..Tom

Sorry, I explained it badly, it's a square grid that extends 200 miles N, S, E, and W.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:19 pm 
FlightAware Member
tjowen - FlightAware user avatar

lignumaqua wrote:
tjowen wrote:
The demark line shown in the heatmap pic above seem too straight to be 200 statue miles at all points. The rings shown are at 50 Nautical mile increments.
..Tom

Sorry, I explained it badly, it's a square grid that extends 200 miles N, S, E, and W.

Yes, that makes sense thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:21 pm 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:
tjowen wrote:
I can see out to 270 nm, can I suggest 300 Nautical Miles?
..Tom

We could, but there's a gotcha. Nothing comes for free. Increasing from 200 miles to 300 miles takes the number of points in the grid from 160,000 up to 360,000. That's over twice as many points. This will slow things down even more, particularly on slower devices. It may even cause memory issues in some browsers. I chose 200 miles as it seemed a good compromise and worked on all the devices I tested.

Let me look at making the distance configurable, then you could make your own mind up as to the compromise between performance and range. It would then be your fault if it broke! 8)

I understand your constraints, if you are able to make it user configurable that would be wonderful. Thanks again for your efforts.
..Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:41 pm 
FlightAware Member
mgunther - FlightAware user avatar

lignumaqua wrote:
As sesom says, the range is calculated at 1 degree intervals so, at large distances, that can represent quite a wide band. I chose this resolution deliberately for a number of reasons.

1. This matches the resolution of the Heywhatsthat predictions

2. Plane positions often jump at long ranges as signals are lost and reacquired. Setting a fine resolution often ends up with gaps as flights jump over values. The code only uses 'real' positions, not the estimated ones.

3. The whole process is somewhat approximate. Using a very fine resolution implies an accuracy that isn't actually there. Particularly when many positions come in through MLAT.

OK, understand. I watched the process of building up range lines more closely. The "problem" is indeed more pronounced at the outer edges of the range. Also, it is more pronounced if an aircraft flies more or less towards me or away from me. The maximum range for each sector of 1 degree is plotted and that can be somewhat right or left of the actual track. Things would be perfect if all aircraft were flying in a circle around me :wink:
In relation to 3) I would not say it is approximate at all. I believe the graph is plotted precicely at the maximum range seen for each 1 degree sector. It's just that geometrics conspire under certain constellations to produce range graphs that draw lines some miles away from the actual track flown.
In my case, I don't have MLAT positions in the outer areas of my range due to the lack of other receivers with similar range.

In which file would one change the resolution for testing purposes?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:44 pm 
FlightAware Member
sesom - FlightAware user avatar

abcd567 wrote:
Which software you used to record the video?

I am running Ubuntu. It's just a bash script taking screenshots of the browser window:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

while :
do
        import -window 0x4e025e6 screenshot_`date +"%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S"`.png
        sleep 10
done

0x4e025e6 is the id of my browser window, can be found with "xwininfo -display :0"

The mp4 this i made with this command:

Code:
ffmpeg -f image2 -r 10 -pattern_type glob -i '*.png' output.mp4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:59 pm 
FlightAware Member

mgunther wrote:
In which file would one change the resolution for testing purposes?

Most stuff is in script.js, search for 360 and 361. If you want to double the points to 720, then change 360 to 720 and 361 to 721.

In function rangepoints there is a for-loop, you have to divide "a" by 2 at the end:

Code:
rangepoints[a] = google.maps.geometry.spherical.computeOffset(SitePosition, Range[a], a / 2);

There are two changes in planeObject.js:

Code:
// Calculate bearing and update Range[] array
this.bearing   = Math.floor(2 * google.maps.geometry.spherical.computeHeading(SitePosition,this.position));

if (this.bearing < 0) {
       this.bearing   = 720  + this.bearing;
}

A value of 2 doubles the points to 720. If you want 1800 points, change 360 to 1800 and 361 to 1801 and use 5 as a multiplier.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:21 pm 
FlightAware Member
sjacket99 - FlightAware user avatar

Very cool. Awesome work lignumaqua.. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:42 pm 
FlightAware Member

Changes posted to https://github.com/lignumaqua/dump1090

1. Added toggles to turn on/off Range Polygon and to show/hide columns in table: Squawk, Track, and Msgs.

Image Image

2. Size of heatmap can be set via HeatMapRange variable in config.js. The size is in miles from your Site location. Default is 200. Warning, the larger you make this the more resources it will use. Get too large and the browser may slow down. In any event going beyond 300 miles would be pointless.

Warning - Don’t pull down and overwrite your config.js with the one from Github! Just add the new lines from the bottom to your version.

Code:
// Grid size for heatmap. Range in miles from Site. Default 200.
HeatMapRange = 200;

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:35 pm 
FlightAware Member

lignumaqua wrote:

1. Added toggles to turn on/off Range Polygon and to show/hide columns in table: Squawk, Track, and Msgs.

Image Image

2. Size of heatmap can be set via HeatMapRange variable in config.js. The size is in miles from your Site location. Default is 200. Warning, the larger you make this the more resources it will use. Get too large and the browser may slow down. In any event going beyond 300 miles would be pointless.

Warning - Don’t pull down and overwrite your config.js with the one from Github! Just add the new lines from the bottom to your version.

Code:
HeatMapRange = 200;

You are a machine! WOW great job. Works fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:11 pm 
FlightAware Member
blueskyspotter - FlightAware user avatar

Just wanna ask guys, did you install from that github link or just replaced some of the scripts of the existing dump 1.15 files.. Being a nob i am so confused of the discussion and it looks jumping from one topic to another.. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:52 am 
FlightAware Member

blueskyspotter wrote:
Just wanna ask guys, did you install from that github link or just replaced some of the scripts of the existing dump 1.15 files.. Being a nob i am so confused of the discussion and it looks jumping from one topic to another.. :)

First I backed up the original files, then I created a folder for Lignumaqua's files and I simply wget'd them, here's an example.

"sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com / lignumaqua /dump1090 / master / public_html / gmap.html"

***Note: I had to space the above link so that it would all show in the post. Please do not use it as a link

Once I downloaded them all I edited what I needed to do then I simply copied them with the cp command into the /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html folder.

..Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:37 am 
FlightAware Member

tjowen wrote:
blueskyspotter wrote:

First I backed up the original files, then I created a folder for Lignumaqua's files and I simply wget'd them, here's an example.

"sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com / lignumaqua /dump1090 / master / public_html / gmap.html"

***Note: I had to space the above link so that it would all show in the post. Please do not use it as a link

Once I downloaded them all I edited what I needed to do then I simply copied them with the cp command into the /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html folder.

..Tom

The link just added only toggle buttons to the panel/table..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:21 am 
FlightAware Member

blueskyspotter wrote:
tjowen wrote:
blueskyspotter wrote:

..Tom

The link just added only toggle buttons to the panel/table..

My link above was an example, you need to download the following files by repeating the wget command..

formatter.js
gmap.html
maplabel.js
planeObject.js
script.js
style.css

And, you will need to add the following lines to the bottom of the config.js file that already exists in the /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html folder.

HeatMapRange = 200;

..Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:43 pm 
FlightAware Member
phillx19090 - FlightAware user avatar

Excellent and great instructions so even I can do it!

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but is it possible to change the + - value (circled in black) so changing the view is not quite so coarse?

Thanks

Phill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:59 pm 
FlightAware Member

phillx19090 wrote:
Excellent and great instructions so even I can do it!

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but is it possible to change the + - value (circled in black) so changing the view is not quite so coarse?

Thanks

Phill

No, it increments/decrements by 1 each time. The size of each step of zoom is 2:1 in scale. This is set by Google.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:17 pm 
FlightAware Member

tjowen wrote:
blueskyspotter wrote:

..Tom

Thanks, i opened all the files and compared to my existing scripts.. it shows new lines.. so i bit i will follow your advice.. I'll keep in touch with you in YT.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:33 pm 
FlightAware Member

phillx19090 wrote:

As lignumaqua wrote, the steps are defined by Google. But you can zoom in and out in your browser (ctrl-+/i on my Linux-system, maybe different on Windows). That way you can do finer adjustments, but the flight table is also zoomed, not only the map.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:29 pm 
FlightAware Member
phillx19090 - FlightAware user avatar

I'd forgotten the CTRL -+. Between that and the map -+ I can get what I want.
Thanks
Phill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:21 pm 
FlightAware Member
mgunther - FlightAware user avatar

lignumaqua wrote:

Pulled down the changes to my secondary Pi. Working perfectly; thank you for bringing back the columns as an option! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:19 am 
FlightAware Member

Got some Blind Spots in all direction..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:47 pm 
FlightAware Member

I made another timelapse-video for nearly a day that shows the heatmap-feature:

https://youtu.be/PahD8XZ3nns

The video starts at a time with very low traffic over northern Bavaria, but when traffic starts after about 40 seconds in the video, the heatmap starts to build up nicely. At the end of the video the heatmap seems to show the real coverage area, the rangeline show more the extremes.

I'll install a new antenna next week, rangeline and heatmap will show if reception is improved or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm 
FlightAware Member
TomMuc - FlightAware user avatar

sesom wrote:
I made another timelapse-video for nearly a day that shows the heatmap-feature:

https://youtu.be/PahD8XZ3nns

The video starts at a time with very low traffic over northern Bavaria, but when traffic starts after about 40 seconds in the video, the heatmap starts to build up nicely. At the end of the video the heatmap seems to show the real coverage area, the rangeline show more the extremes.
nice! btw. real life coverage tracking is where vrs excels

sesom wrote:
I'll install a new antenna next week, rangeline and heatmap will show if reception is improved or not.
perfect - this will improve mlat coverage over here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:37 pm 
FlightAware Member

TomMuc wrote:

I hope so. While my coverage to the south is not bad, I loose contact to aircraft heading to EDDM some kilometers south of Ingolstadt and I suppose that will not change as there is a tiny ridge in that direction. Just 20 or 30 meters higher than my antenna's position, but that ridge in 2 km distance is my horizon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:53 pm 
FlightAware Member
TomMuc - FlightAware user avatar

sesom wrote:
TomMuc wrote:

I hope so. While my coverage to the south is not bad, I loose contact to aircraft heading to EDDM some kilometers south of Ingolstadt and I suppose that will not change as there is a tiny ridge in that direction. Just 20 or 30 meters higher than my antenna's position, but that ridge in 2 km distance is my horizon.
if you did go for the antenna i mentioned you'll see a good improvement in reach. the amp will improve messages a lot - and this is what improves mlat most. in addition eddm is not really relevant for mlat as most aircrafts there transmit ads-b position data. so your view to south west of munich is what counts - as here all the small planes do their sightseeing cruising and the poor and tiny rest of german airforce that is left after 10 years merkel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next