What are the colors on PiAware 3 dump1090-fa interface?

I just upgraded my Piaware to v3 and am trying to figure out the colors on the new map interface.

I see light and dark green, dark purple, light purple, dark blue, and light blue.

EDIT: Just saw a yellow aircraft icon that later changed to green.

Green seems to be related to aircraft incoming/outgoing from the local airport but I have yet to figure out why there is a light or dark color green or what the purple, blue and the light or dark of those mean.

I also see some aircraft traces have dash breaks at some points of a normally solid line. Does the dashed area indicate places where there have been missing messages from that aircraft?

It’s colored by altitude. On-ground is green which is a little confusing as green is also an in-the-air color, I need to work out a better scheme there.

I also see some aircraft traces have dash breaks at some points of a normally solid line. Does the dashed area indicate places where there have been missing messages from that aircraft?

Yes, a gap of >5 seconds for ADS-B or >30 for mlat.

one other thing I forgot to mention… the range rings are circular. How does one get range rings that look like visibility rings? Is that feature not coming from dump1090-fa or does dump1090-fa do some smart aircraft mapping over time to create visibility rings?

Not too many posts here with all the colors; what does orange mean?

If by “visibility ring” you mean the irregular shaped circle like curve, it is “terrain limit ring”. Please see these two posts for how to make them appear on your dump1090-fa map.

First see this post:
post180667.html#p180667

Then see this post:
post186134.html#p186134
NOTE: In wget command in above post, replace dump1090-mutability by dump1090-fa