Web Interface

Does the web interface work independently from the Flightaware website? Does the status of the Flightaware site, down for repairs or just down, affect that feature? Sorry, but I’m just trying to troubleshoot and would like to know for sure. Thanks

The web interface is local to your system and is not affected by FlightAware.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Thanks for the clarification. I’m having an issue connecting to the web interface. Everything is wifi networked but the browser will time-out trying to connect to the raspberry directly. Sometimes it connects instantly, other times it takes a minute or so. I installed a second Piware for my father-in-law last week and have the same issue. He hasn’t been able to connect locally at all. However, data is uploading. Is this normal? Thanks

Many times failure to connect to the local web-server running on the raspberry-pi is simply because the local IP-address has changed from what it was after your initial installation.

When I first set up my raspberry pi running the PiAware image the IP-address was 192.168.2.15 on my home network. So I would point my web browser at 192.168.2.15:8080 to see the local display.

After a couple of reboots the IP-address changed to 192.168.2.14 for whatever reason and it took me sometime before I realized that it had changed. And that I would then have to point my web browser at 192.168.2.14:8080 in order to see the local display.

Perhaps this has happened to your set ups.

You can see the local IP-address of the feeder raspberry pi by looking at the Flightaware user stats page under the Site Information section. See my example below.

…Tom

There are a number of nice links that will demonstrate how to change your internal Pi address from dynamic to static to address this type of problem.

thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- … spberry-pi

I’ve noticed also that firefox may or may not open the site. Chrome seems to work every time, but my security settings in firefox will either not allow the page to load at all, or will display the clocks and an empty frame to the right of that.

I a better solution is to set up a DHCP reservation for the Pi in your internet router, so whenever the Pi asks for an IP address, it always gets the same one

pi@raspberrypiB2 ~ $ ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:cc:14:10
inet addr:192.168.3.10 Bcast:192.168.3.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:199242158 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:209999570 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2283783418 (2.1 GiB) TX bytes:3801040912 (3.5 GiB)

pi@raspberrypiB2 ~ $ uptime
07:09:00 up 64 days, 17:59, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.26, 0.30

The Pi identifies itself to the router using it’s MAC address b8:27:eb:cc:14:10, the router says I’ve been told to give you address 192.168.3.10 (at least on my Pi).

(as an aside, this Pi is running my MLAT feed - dump1090 is on another Pi, it’s been up 64 days and has figures RX bytes:2283783418 (2.1 GiB) TX bytes:3801040912 (3.5 GiB) )

I just spoke with my father-in-law at the second site and he is running Firefox. I’ll try switching him to Chrome and see how it goes. By the way, the IP addresses checked-out OK.

This is driving me a little nuts. My father-in-law’s tablet will not connect to his site through the local web interface but my tablet and laptop will. I bring his tablet to my site, 40 minutes away with a different provider/router and it will connect to the local web interface for my site along with my tablet and laptop. Could it be a setting in his router that is allowing my tablet to connect but not his? If it’s something with his browser, why is it able to connect to mine? :confused:

You could try a different browser. When I first set-up my system one of the household PCs would not connect using Google Chrome, but IE worked fine.
…Tom