Usb Pro Stick

Hi all

I have set up a USB Pro stick and an Flightaware 1090 filter. I have seen a a good improvement on my previous ADS-B set up. A question though, I had an amplifier set up on the previous set up, with a 12DC filter/block at the antennae end of the coax, above the mast head amplifier, to protect/prevent the antenna becoming live (12v DC ouch lol) As set up from instructions with the antenna (7db).

My Question, at the moment the masthead amplifier, 12v block and power source for the amp, are disconnected. Will I get even better performance with the USB Pro, if I add the amplifier back into the antenna system??

Jeff

The usual reason for the dc block is not about the antenna being live, it is that some antenna designs present a DC short and some amplifiers (especially inline satellite amplifiers) pass DC power towards the antenna to e.g. power a LNB at the satellite dish. If the antenna presents a DC short to that, you’re effectively shorting out your power supply and that is not a smart thing to do. Hence the DC block between the amplifier and the antennna.

If you have a masthead amplifier installed, you should definitely power it or you will probably get no signal at all.
But you probably don’t need both the masthead amplifier and the extra LNA that the prostick adds, pick one or the other.