USB DVR RTL802T Dongles - Acceptable for Feeding?

Start your journey here: flightaware.com/adsb/

You’ll want to tune your antenna’s lots of good threads here about building antenna’s and amps as well.

Those dongles make up the bulk of the receivers used, they’re fine. If you look at the ADS-B page linked above there is a bunch of info about how to feed data via various software.

fr24feed is the flightradar feeder; it won’t work for feeding to FlightAware.

What OS & hardware will you be using, and is there a particular bit of receiver software that you want to use or are you flexible?

Yep, planeplotter is probably simplest with that setup: flightaware.com/planeplotter

There is a ton of instructions when you click the help link in planeplotter, however to see maps across the top of your PP screen the the little down arrow and the word Map under it, try clicking that.

Start with the planeplotter home page.
coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm#download

Check out the link to support and the wikipedia
Also take a look at David Taylor’s website at:
satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/dump1090.html
Welcome to the mix.

Many / most people use a simple Raspberry Pi simple computer to drive the dongle

A PI B+ is about $35 (single core), Pi2 is $43(quad core)

You need to add a 2A power supply with a micro USB connector, a decent Micro SD memory card (and maybe an HDMI cable to get going if you’re new to Linux - to connect up an HD TV as a monitor, along with a keyboard and mouse … just to get going)

The nice thing about using the pi is it runs 24/7 on 3w power consumption.

don’t know how you’d easily put two dongles on one pi though.

It’s quite easy. You’ll probably need to use the rtl_eeprom tool to change the serial number on one of them - they’re all s/n 1 by default.

I have one stick doing ADS-B, and I’m trying to get the other to do liveatc. I tell dump1090 to use device 1, as that’s the one I have connected to my 1090MHz antenna.

# /usr/bin/dump1090-mutability --device-index 1
Tue Jun 30 22:08:40 2015 UTC  dump1090-mutability v1.14 starting up.
Found 2 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001
  1:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000002

Using device 1: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Found 2 device(s):
0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001 
1: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000002 (currently selected)