Two piaware in the same network.

Hello:
I have my pi-aware working fine in Scottsdale AZ. I installed another one in the same network to tested but only worked for 5 minutes and quit sending data. It is receiving fine, I can access the live view. I am planning to install the new one In Bahia de Kino Sonora Mexico next weekend and I just want to be sure it is working.

Am I seeing just a conflict with the same IP and Flightaware? Or I have a defective ADS or pi?

Thanks

Alex

I’ve had as many as three running on the same network, without issue. Each Pi will have a different MAC address and get a different IP address from the router.
…Tom

Thank you for the response. I reloaded the pi-aware on the micro card and it is working now fine, both of them.
So it was something there in the program.
Thanks

There’s no receiver within 200Km of that location, will you be leaving it there?

Yes, my second receiver will be living in Bahia de Kino Sonora Mx. I will install it next weekend. I have Internet DSL there.
My test now a success. In the meantime it will be on along with the other one here in Scottsdale AZ.

Alex

Great! We are in process of building out a network to provide MLAT coverage down the gulf . You will help plug one of the holes we have to fill.
What kind of antenna will you be using?

I am building an antenna using coax cable as the one I have now using the youtube Making an inexpensive 1090MHz ADS-B collinear antenna - YouTube) tutorial.
I asked Flightaware about a Kino site; they replay asking some info and I never heard from them again. It will be nice if the provide an antenna. My plan is to mounted it on my radio tower.

Thanks

Alex

[quote=“areyes”]
I am building an antenna using coax cable as the one I have now using the youtube Making an inexpensive 1090MHz ADS-B collinear antenna - YouTube) tutorial.
I asked Flightaware about a Kino site; they replay asking some info and I never heard from them again. It will be nice if the provide an antenna. My plan is to mounted it on my radio tower.

Thanks

Alex

We build using a similar design.
You should add an inline amplifier and a power injector (the directv one at $10 works good) to compensate for the cable losses. RG6 will drop something like 6 db (75 percent) with a 100 ft cable run. Your range will be 300+ miles.

For the antenna case, we use 1/2 pvc pipe with a pipe cap on top and a 1/2 inch female coupling followed by a male plastic cable compression fitting (used for electrical cables entering junction boxes in wet areas) at the base. The heat down here will loosen up self sealing tape and the antenna slips out of the case.[/quote]

Could you give me specs for the inline amplifier and a power injector and where to buy them

Thanks
Slex

These are what we are using.

directv power injector.

amazon.com/gp/product/B003C2 … ge_o00_s01

Paladin In Line Amplifier

amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2 … ge_o01_s00

Thanks for the links.
I am using the piaware and the dongle , so my question is injecting a DC voltage will not affect the dongle adversely, even burn it? ,
I am using the same power box with my directtv setup.

Alex

The power injector puts a DC voltage onto the core of the co-ax up to the antenna at the same time as blocking the DC voltage from the receiver.

The amplifier is ideally fitted close to the antenna and placed in some sort of waterproof enclosure.

There is a DC passthru on these amplifiers so you need to be sure your antenna is open ended (the core is not connected to the outer) if it is a DC blocker is needed,

No problem with burning things out. The directv injector has blocking to prevent damage to your directv box. Works the same way for the PiAware. Just be sure you do not connect the core to the ground shield at the end of the top segment of the antenna (leave it open when you build your antenna).

We use a continuity tester when assembling segments and the assembled antenna to insure proper construction and no short circuits.

The amplifier is water proof. connect it immediately adjacent to the antenna.

The connection marked SWM is the antenna connection. Connection marked IRD connects to your PiAware.
You can insert a paper clip in the barrels and check voltage drop to the barrel . You will see the rated voltage on the antenna side and zero(0) voltage on the receiver side. There is a capacitor that takes some time to discharge when powered off.

The power injector is not waterproof. We install it next to the Pi.

Hi:

Make sense, my directtv box is protected so my pi raspberry/dongle will be too.

Thank you very much for illustrating this to a novice.
I just build a new antenna and tested all the way for continuity and it is open at the end.
It has 16 coax segments that are cut at 11cm lengths. Unfortunately I am going to Bahia de Kino on Friday so
these parts won’t be received by then. To be mounted om my next trip and in the mean time antenna by itself.

Thanks and regards

Alex

Success !!

Tthe piaware in Bahia de Kino Sonora Mexico is up and running. If you want you can see my live view on:

kinomanor.homeip.net:XXXX

Itha a 16 segment coax atenna AT 20 FEET AND IT WILL will remain open.

Alex

Wow!!! You just saved us a bunch of work!!!

Ricardo and the other controllers are really getting excited!

We have hosts lined up for Mazatlán and Los Mochis, and expect them on line in the next month or so.

Also have Ciudad Constitution and Guerrero Negro hosts lined up but waiting for the heat to drop off before we make a trip for installs.

Have a couple more scheduled in the La Paz/Cabo area to fill in mountain MLAT gaps.

Still looking for hosts in Santa Rosalia and Loreto areas if you know anyone there.

We have all the site equipment in our bodega ready to go. Just need to do the installs.

Hoping to have good MLAT coverage down to the end of the peninsula.

I will PM you my email.

I have an American couple in Lopez Mateos (a beam Loreo in the Pacific)I bet they will be glad to host one they have Houghs internet.

Also in Mulege I know another American that owns the hotel by the airport.

Let’s talk by pm.

Alex