The New face of dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev

The New face of dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev
First thing first: Thank you Oliver for your hard work to keep the dump1090-mutability up to date.

Now the comments & observations.
Open Street Map looks nice, but I feel uneasy, mainly due to addiction to Google map.
Will take some time to adjust. Old habits are hard to break :slight_smile:

Problems:

1. Although config.js says “Metric = false; ShowOtherUnits = true;”, and script.js says “if(!Metric) {distance *= 1.852;}”, the 3 range rings look too small to be in nautical miles.

2. I tried to change color of rings to alternate red/blue by code below, but no success.

for (var i=0; i < SiteCirclesDistances.length; ++i) {
if (circleStyle.stroke.color==“#000000”){circleStyle.stroke.color=“#FF0000”}
else if (circleStyle.stroke.color==“#FF0000”){circleStyle.stroke.color=“#0000FF”}
else if (circleStyle.stroke.color==“#0000FF”){circleStyle.stroke.color=“#FF0000”}
}

Tweaks:

1. I managed to change right side clock from “Last Update” to “Local Time”
  2. I managed to change the Title block text & color.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8496/28366518835_d1677881e3_o.png

Not many planes, the antenna is in a non-optimal location
The food can is 2-11/16 inches dia x 3 inches height (7 oz).
In metric units, it is about 70mm dia x 80mm height (300 mL)

I want to stay with Google Maps. Can it be reverted without major rework on the user’s end?

I have copied to my desktop pc, the files:
“dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev_armhf.deb”
and
“dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev_armhf.changes”
These files were built during previous installation, and were still existing in folder “adsb-receiver/build”. I used sftp to make the copy. Now if I want to install Google Map version on a new/formatted microSD card, I can copy these files to the microSD card, and run command “sudo dpkg -i dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev_armhf.deb”.

I am mostly offline for a few days, but I’ll have a look at the range circles when I have a chance. It’s probably just a unit conversion thing somewhere. Thanks for the headsup.

Re. being able to use google maps - nope, sorry, this is not possible; Google insists that you use their API to access their maps, so it is not possible to use the OpenLayers API with google maps tiles. Using Google’s API (as was previously done) is no longer an option as it require an API key to function at all, and I don’t want to ship a dump1090 that does not work out of the box.

You can use Bing imagery if you like (you need a key, much like Google, but Bing is OK with thrid party APIs accessing their tiles); currently it’s only set up for aerial tiles but it is a small change to get one of their other imagery sets e.g. the roadmap stuff.

re alternating colors: you need to set up two separate styles (call them, say, redCircleStyle and blueCircleStyle) and then use one style or the other when drawing the circles.

ummm have I missed something??

Google Maps is still working OK for me … is it only on new installs that it doesn’t work?

Cheers.

Me too. I’m working with two FBOs on setting up the system shortly and the new style maps simply will not work. I’m trying to figure out what it will take to maintain the systems with the older maps, but still bring in the improvements to the software. I may just have to stop at the older version, or abort entirely on the two FBOs.

Can you create github issues for the issues you see? It works fine here and I can’t fix it if I don’t see the breakage.

Sorry, context is missing in my post. I’m referring to style, not pure function. To be clear, Google Maps is working no problem with existing systems. So, is this only a regional thing? This is a bit like when Apple switched to Tom-Tom mapping. Everyone had to stop using Apple’s map app and switch to Google’s app.

See developers.google.com/maps/pric … 016-update

If you are covered by the grandfathering clause then the old code will continue to work. But it is unclear exactly what is covered and for how long, and obviously new installs aren’t covered.

(And you can’t use Google’s tiles via OpenLayers, and I’m not prepared to maintain two copies of the map code)

GOOD! There are only 168 hours in a week.

Thanks fot all you do.
:smiley:

What is wrong with OpenStreet map? Why all this fuss?

After all our main interest is in plotting the aeroplane positions accurately, which is done on OpenStreet map as well.

The new map isn’t the greatest on the eyes, at first, but it is free and you get use to it after a week or two.

If you want a really nice display, fork out for the Flight Aware TV post196038.html?hilit=ios%20app#p196038 or try ModesMixer/Decode, Plane Plotter or VRS.

It’s unprofessional. It looks like junk, to put it lightly. In other words, it looks like a Windows machine.

So, when it comes to putting up a live screen at an FBO, it becomes a real turn off.

How are they tracking “new installs”? I can’t see how it’s via IP address. There must be a simple solution to keep the Google maps. This really is killing otherwise amazing software.

I dont feel switching away from Google maps to Open Street maps will kill dump1090-mutability. It is matter of habit only. We have been using Google map for so long & so extensively in a large number of applications, that we have become addict to it.

When I first installed dump1090-mutability with Open Street map few days ago, I felt uncomfortable. Now after using it for couple of days, my discomfort & disliking has reduced tremendously. Hopefully after few week’s use, dislike & discomfort will disappear.

It doesn’t look as nice, I agree. We intended to move to a better mapping engine but were forced here by Google and now we don’t have an option but to release now and iterate. It’s a priority and we’ll make it better.

[quote=“abcd567”]

That may be Google’s game plan, get them addicted then set the hook. Not an original business model. :smiling_imp:

Acquire and use your own key. One person using a key won’t hit Google’s free limit, but thousands of people using dump1090 do.

You’d have to ask Google, but I’d guess by referrer.

If you want different base layer tiles and you have a suitable source (Bing might be an option) then it is pretty simple to get OpenLayers working with them. I can help integrate new tile layers if you decide what you want.

This would be true for Google, too, except that Google’s terms of service say that you can’t use their tiles other than via their API, and to use their API you need an API key or nothing works at all.

There are some hacks around which load both OpenLayers and the Google API on top of each other and try to keep the viewports in sync, but support for that approach was dropped from OpenLayers 3 because it was too unreliable. If you can get that working in a form where it only tries to load the google API when a key is provided, and it only uses the google API for that base layer (i.e. the openlayers feature layers are still used for the aircraft icons / tracks etc) then I could merge that.