system clock

Anyone know what this is , and how to correct it? It is posted on my flight feeder page.

Anomaly report for PiAware feeder with a MAC address of b8:27:eb:18:4a:83:
The system clock off by 10 hours, 48 minutes. Please set your system clock to the correct time. Maybe try ‘sudo /etc/init.d/ntp restart’ or look into why ntpd has been unable to set the system clock to the correct time.

1 Like

The system clock is the… system’s clock. Date and time of day.

Did you try what it suggested?

Is it talking about my computer clock? or the piware system clock? If so I have rebooted it several times. I do not know how to do the other stuff.

The clock in Dump 1090 is correct

It is talking about the piaware system clock.

The commands it suggests you try need to be run from the command line on your piaware system.

The dump1090 web interface clock doesn’t tell you anything useful unfortuately as it uses the time from your browser, not from the piaware system.

I’m having a similar problem. I’m off by one hour. When it boots I get an NTP error. Can’t find server. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this? All has been upgraded to the latest.

I had the same problems with timer errors. The default ntp timeservers are probably nowhere near you and will be set for the wrong time zone. You need to find some close to you, preferably your own ISP as the primary.

You need to edit the ntp.conf file: sudo nano /etc/ntp.conf

This is mine:

You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).

server ntp1.isp.sky.com

pool.ntp.org maps to about 1000 low-stratum NTP servers. Your server will

pick a different set every time it starts up. Please consider joining the

pool: http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html

server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 3.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst

Even with this there will always be errors when you reboot the Pi. It takes a while for the ntp server to connect and before that happens all your times will be wrong. The only way around that is to fit a real time clock on the Pi.

NTP (and the Pi’s system clock) always works with UTC and is unaffected by timezone. The timezone setting is purely a display thing that’s done on top of the system clock. (Which is a good thing, because timezone rules are absolutely crazy and change all the time)

I didn’t know that, makes sense though. When I examined my ntp.conf it had the primary server commented out and the pool servers were all default. My time was always starting out wrong and drifting by a large amount. The worst affected was the Planefinder client which would reboot from time to time. The Flightaware seems unaffected but Flightradar24 has crashed a couple of times.

Since I changed the ntp configuration thinks are much more stable. I’m thinking of fitting a real-time clock to stop this completely since there are still some errors on boot.

For jobs like this I run Linux systems on UTC time - and don’t use local time at all, just in case some app or other uses local time when it should use UTC.

Probably settable by doing ‘sudo raspi-config’

Does the NTP server connect out to the internet in anyway? What if the ports are closed on my firewall, can I set the date time manually?

Unless you use a local source like GPS/GNSS , it will need to connect to the Internet.
The port used is UDP 123 for NTP.

I think the date command is used to set the time and date.

Thanks John. I used the command below to set the date time.

sudo date --set=“18 FEB 2016 20:47:00”

Add something like rogjack’s info to /etc/ntp.conf
then restart ntp by
sudo service ntp restart

ntpq -p will tell you how you are doing
ntptime will also show you.

Mine is pretty good because I use a GPS unit and PPS
pi@tardis:~ $ ntptime
ntp_gettime() returns code 0 (OK)
time da70b5f4.28733658 Thu, Feb 18 2016 21:28:20.158, (.158008454),
maximum error 2000 us, estimated error 1 us, TAI offset 0
ntp_adjtime() returns code 0 (OK)
modes 0x0 (),
offset 2.593 us, frequency -4.150 ppm, interval 1 s,
maximum error 2000 us, estimated error 1 us,
status 0x2001 (PLL,NANO),
time constant 4, precision 0.001 us, tolerance 500 ppm,
pi@tardis:~ $

This one is not as good because PPS is not working(just using Internet NTP servers)
^Cpi@tardis2:~/bin $ ntptime
ntp_gettime() returns code 0 (OK)
time da70b628.7a3810e8 Thu, Feb 18 2016 16:29:12.477, (.477418015),
maximum error 91318 us, estimated error 939 us, TAI offset 0
ntp_adjtime() returns code 0 (OK)
modes 0x0 (),
offset -788.749 us, frequency -9.605 ppm, interval 1 s,
maximum error 91318 us, estimated error 939 us,
status 0x2001 (PLL,NANO),
time constant 6, precision 0.001 us, tolerance 500 ppm,
pi@tardis2:~/bin

I have a PPS GPS input in my Pi, it works great, but I still allow the Pi to connect to the internet to help it get time fixes faster than waiting for the GPS to lock up on power up.

I also run it as a Stratum-1 NTP server for the rest of my network. :smiley:

You mean like the Central/Eastern boundary in Florida?
Florida - From the southwest corner of the State of Georgia to the midpoint of the Apalachicola River on the downstream side of Jim Woodruff Dam; thence southerly along the middle of the main channel of the Apalachicola River to its intersection with the Jackson River; thence westerly along the center of the Jackson River to its intersection with the Intracoastal Waterway; thence westerly along the center of the Intracoastal Waterway to the west line of Gulf County; thence southerly along the west line of Gulf County to the Gulf of Mexico.

Try:

#Forced synchronized RPi clock with ntp server
sudo ntpd -gq

#Restart ntp
sudo /etc/init.d/ntp restart

#After few minutes check date & time
sudo date

Or how Western Idaho is in the wrong time zone? Thank you Union Pacific and their desire to keep Boise on the same time table as Salt Lake City. Having light in the sky until 11PM in the summer is normal, right?

http://newwest.net/main/article/should_we_move_boise_to_pacific_time_zone/
"Boise, Idaho is located in the Mountain Time zone, but is at 116.2 degrees west longitude. This places us 11.2 degrees west of the meridian of the Mountain Time zone, but only 3.8 degrees east of the meridian of the Pacific Time zone. We are nearly halfway between the ideal boundary between the Mountain and Pacific Time zones and the central meridian of the Pacific Time zone. The effect of this skewing of the time zone boundary in our area is to make both sunrise and sunset occur much later than normal. "