Switch to Pi 3

I want to switch from Pi 2B to Pi 3 with filter and Pro amp at antenna. I do not want to lose my stats that date back to Jan /15. Can I do this with losing all my past data?

You will need to clone the MAC address of your old Pi to the RPi3 if you don’t want to loose your FlightAware stats. It is normally done by editing the /boot/cmdline.txt file and adding the following to the end of the line smsc95xx.macaddr=##:##:##:##:##:##

where ##:##:##:##:##:## is the MAC of your previous pi.

Cheers!
LitterBug

I believe if you save off and then restore the .rrd files in /var/lib/collectd/rrd/piaware/dump1090-rpi you will retain your stats. (I have never tried it though.)

I can confirm that adding the mac to boot/cmdline.txt means you can just pop your SD card into the new Pi and pick up right where you left off.
… assuming the image on your card is already compat with the Rpi3

Having just spent the day re configuring a new Pi (due to failure of the old one) I only wish that this method had worked! I’ve tried about 20 different methods, none of them worked until I added a script into crontab that uses macchange. Anyway, problem solved via another method, could not get this to work at all.

Now - who do I contact to get rid of the other station that was created by the new mac that temporarily sent data to FA??

Edit: Found the link to disassociate the site 8)

Not sure why but it’s interesting to note that Piaware uses the eth0 mac not my usb wifi mac to identify itself.

What method did you use?

That’s the way I have done it in the past as well.
When installing macchanger it will ask if you want it to run .
If not you could probably get away with just adding the command to /etc/rc.local and have it run once at boot up as well.

packages.debian.org/jessie/macchanger
github.com/alobbs/macchanger

Install on Debian based OS’s:

sudo apt-get install macchanger

Command to change your MAC address: (Replace XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX with the MAC address of your choice.)

sudo ifdown eth0
sudo macchanger -m XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX eth0
sudo ifup eth0

sudo ifdown eth0
sudo macchanger -m XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX eth0
sudo ifup eth0

Yep, that’s the one. I just created a script file using nano called piawaremac - but call it whatever you want

sudo nano piawaremac

Saved it with the above code in it - pretty quick and dirty but it works fine.

Set it to be executable using

sudo chmod 755 piawaremac 

The added it to crontab using the @reboot so it runs anytime the Pi reboots or starts

While changing the MAC address works, this is a such a hack.

Why can’t the folks at FlightAware make it possible to update one’s hardware without losing statistics or ‘pretending’ to have the old Pi’s MAC address?

This seems especially important now, since many of us would like to upgrade from our B+ to a 3.

It’s on my list of stuff to fix but it is relatively involved and the current setup is not actually broken, except for rare cases of MAC collisions (I know of two cases total). You only have to mess with the mac it you want to pretend that new hardware isn’t actually new, which is purely a stats display thing. So it is not the top priority and I have few things ahead of it.