Sudden loss of WIFI on PI3 Piaware 3.5.0

Seems that almost 18 hours ago, my Pi3 running the 3.5.0 SD image, suddenly lost WIFI. Once I got past the proverbial “well, nothing’s changed!”, I’ve done a few things trying to diagnose the problem.

1. I hooked a keyboard and monitor up, logged in, and Piaware was running. Just no WIFI available to connect to the internet.
  2. Changed piaware-config.txt to allow non-wifi connections, hooked up an ethernet cable, and everything started working fine. So the problem really is why won’t the WIFI come up?
  3. I had another Pi3 with the latest Raspbian image on micro-sd, so I put that micro-sd card in the malfunctioning Pi3. It came up on WIFI just fine. So that told me something was wrong with the Piaware image.
  4. Downloaded the latest Piaware 3.5.0 sd-image, and overwrote my old Piaware image on the micro-sd. So now I knew I would be running a stock image. Edited /boot/piaware-config.txt to put in my WIFI SSID and password, placed it in the Pi3, and…

Did the same thing. WIFI does not come up. If I plug in an ethernet cable, Piaware runs fine. It just can’t seem to bring up the WIFI since sometime yesterday. Don’t think it’s a Pi3 hardware failure, because I can put the Raspbian micro-sd from another Pi3 in, and it brings up the WIFI just fine.

I’m leaving it connected by ethernet for now, but I’d like to figure out what happened. Any diagnostic suggestions? The only relevant things that jump out at me going to syslog are a couple of “wlan0: Trying to associate…” followed later by “wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT status_code 16…”, which I guess is failure to connect, but I really, really, made sure I had the SSID and password right. Nor did I change it recently…

The message CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT leads me to believe that there is something wrong with your Wifi Access Point. Are you using MAC address filtering or anything on your network? I recommend attempting to restart your WAP.