space-based ADS-B

A new report, based on research from Purdue University’s School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, analyzes the potential impact of space-based automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) technology on global aviation carbon emissions in remote and oceanic airspace.

spacedaily.com/reports/Purdu … B_999.html

cheers to seasonal greetings

cs

Except for maybe some polar regions, I thought satellite based ADS-B coverage had already been implemented for quite awhile now.

There are many FIR’s which, currently, are not up to speed on CPDLC and make aircraft separation more cumbersome when HF communication is the only option.

What am I missing here??

There is ADS-C. It won’t be easy. When I enable Mode A/C, I see 6000 messages per second. I am less than 60ft/20m amsl. I can’t imagine what a satellite would see. I know they have directional antennas but it still won’t be easy.

You may be confusing ADS-B with ACARS satellite coverage. Good coverage but the reporting rate isn’t twice per second and not everyone has it installed.

FlightAware have an agreement with immersed for this now. I believe they have satellites in polar orbit - this would provide polar cover as well as plotting over sparsely populated areas and areas that are difficult for Internet connectivity (Sahara, etc)

The satellite based system would probably find providing MLAT difficult (though I’d better obj could get it to work :slight_smile: )

I’d love to see a 24 hour coverage plot based on the worldwide satellite reception.

There have been a couple of experimental space-based ADS-B receivers (e.g. GOMX-3) but nothing that has been used in anger AFAIK.

You’d only get enough overlap at the poles:

Aside from a few experiments, mostly (or all?) on short lived cubesats or as tertiary payloads, there’s no deployed space-based ADS-B receivers in service.

ADS-C (and the ADS-A it’s related to) are unrelated to transponders/ADS-B/Mode A/C; they’re an ATC-centric evolution of ACARS using any available datalink to relay positions to ATC or the airline on contract. ADS-C suffers the same high transit fees and resulting low update rates as ACARS.

We’ve partnered with Aireon, a joint venture between Iridium and a few ANSPs, which will indeed have satellites in polar orbit.

The system will be on board the Iridium NEXT satellites to be launched by SpaceX. They were supposed to have two of the satellite rings in orbit already, but the SpaceX RUD a few months ago interrupted those plans.