All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Redesigned ADS-B Statistics pages
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:40 pm 
djmd808 - FlightAware user avatar

Well I gotta go against the grain here and say the new configuration looks fine on the MacBook PRo, in both Safari and Chrome. All my stats and setup are fine with one exception, it says I was last seen online 2 hours ago... not exactly sure what this means. My stats continue to rise...

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:04 pm 
carlmortimer - FlightAware user avatar

djmd808 wrote:
Well I gotta go against the grain here and say the new configuration looks fine on the MacBook PRo, ...

Ugh, :roll: MacBook, says it all really....

Sorry, jokes :D

But the new layout and design does have a bit of an "Apple I-something" feel to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:25 am 
FlightAware Member
joelwiley - FlightAware user avatar

Well, it certainly is different. Not sure if I agree more with the Powerpoint syndrome or Fischer Price comment.
Will take some getting used to, sort of like the poorly healed leg fracture and your gait. :wink:
Position report monochromatic nuances are a bit tough for these aging eyes to interpret - polychrome past implementation a more robust information environment.

Noted one data conversion issue. My sites that located the antenna above the ground, now show that elevation above msl. Those did not take into affect 788 elevation of house foundation. Site listing as antenna above msl transferred correctly.

Another item I haven't found is the net uptime streak of all sites. Longest individual site 632 days, longest merged time last week was around 940. Is that stat also gone with the wind that swept through Georgia?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:45 am 
Deudi - FlightAware user avatar

djmd808 wrote:
it says I was last seen online 2 hours ago... not exactly sure what this means. My stats continue to rise...

I guess this means the last time of the user (you) being online (logged in). The info for the feeder is in the site information box.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:53 am 
FlightAware Member
conligwx - FlightAware user avatar

djmd808 wrote:
it says I was last seen online 2 hours ago... not exactly sure what this means. My stats continue to rise...

As Deudi correctly says, it is the time YOU were logged into your ADSB Stats page.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:31 am 

conligwx wrote:
djmd808 wrote:

As Deudi correctly says, it is the time YOU were logged into your ADSB Stats page.

Fair enough, but I had been on the page just moments before. I am guessing I have to log out and log back in for that to reset.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:34 am 

carlmortimer wrote:
djmd808 wrote:
Well I gotta go against the grain here and say the new configuration looks fine on the MacBook PRo, ...

Ugh, :roll: MacBook, says it all really....

Sorry, jokes :D

But the new layout and design does have a bit of an "Apple I-something" feel to it.

Ha, that's why I threw in there that I checked it with chrome too! :)

I've had this MacBook for over 5 years now... All I've done to it is added an SSD! Still running strong.

Actually I checked the site at work (where I am now) yesterday on IE and Chrome on Windows 10, and I didn't notice any anomoly. I would check it now to be sure, but nothing at all shows up when I try to look. I'm guessing the web interface is offline right now?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:50 am 
FlightAware Member
biekerc - FlightAware user avatar

Mmmh, removing sites from the account does not seem to work?!

I clicked on on the link in the new settings window,then a new windows opens with a "Remove" button, clicking on it changed it to "Loading", then nothing happens... . I tried this with Chrome and Edge.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:56 am 
jkmoseley2112 - FlightAware user avatar

I know there is another bug being discussed about statistics being stuck on May 3 (for those with a negative UTC value offset), but the auto-refresh of data (aircraft/reports seen) on Firefox browsers seems not to be working.

Had no problems with data auto-refreshing before the new rollout.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:01 pm 
jkmoseley2112 - FlightAware user avatar

Oh, and put me in the camp of those who are not thrilled with the new design.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:23 pm 
FlightAware Member
theresjam - FlightAware user avatar

its just different is all.

If it had been like this from the start and they changed to the old design you would see the same complaints.

personally i like being able to arrange the blocks i commonly check to the top.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:26 pm 
frankhanratty - FlightAware user avatar

Old guys tend to like "classic" Too much bling for me. Put me down against the new design, but I'm one of those "old guys"
Function over design. I've been waiting a few days to respond and the valid issues are apparently getting worked out by the Flight Aware crew. Not a fan of the new, but if you could tone it down a little, my eyes won't bleed as much.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:34 pm 
jaxxtheone - FlightAware user avatar

Having issues on Edge. Firefox and Chrome. If the screen opens without zoom I get a CONFIGURE truncated:

The only way to get the whole CONFIGURE window is zooming to 80% of the normal size.

Also there´s no way to move the window so you can see either the bottom part of it either the upper part so you can choose which part of the window you want to see. Normally I want to see the bottton part of it (the output of your RPi3) so I need to resize it every time to 80%.

Note that the first picture is a Chrome Window and the second one is a Firefox Window who shows better the zoom out,
I don´t know what were you thinking when you changed your site but that´s an annoying issue...

Hope you give us the possibility to move the CONFIGURE window and/or reduce it by a factor of 80%.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:10 pm 
MW50C3 - FlightAware user avatar

I can't lie - I hate it. This new page is a verifiable mess in my opinion. This is what happens when you fix something that isn't broken.

--On my page, it lists my feeder typically as checked in 1-4 minutes ago, yet just below that there is a list of a dozen or so flights that I've sent anywhere from 1-40 seconds ago. How can that make sense?

--Speaking of that list of flights recently sent, does it really need to be triple spaced? One of the gents earlier in this thread indicated the advantages of "data density".
Very well said and I can't improve upon that sentiment. Scrolling is useless work.

--On the 30 day ranking section, the airport/city location for all of our ranking neighbors seems to have been eliminated. Are we not allowed to easily see that information any longer?

--The all blue polar plot has dramatically less value. If you're paying by the color, maybe you can harvest some of the bright eyesores elsewhere and put back into the plot.

--The moveable data containers are fine, but they don't seem to be resizable unless I'm missing something. Rearranging a bunch of oversized ugly boxes still results in an ugly page.

Apologies, as this commentary sounds, and is, quite strong. Maybe changes this big should require considerable testing and maybe a diverse focus group. The changes were a terrible surprise here. What was once a wonderful destination throughout the day isn't quite so much now.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:45 am 
MASHtm - FlightAware user avatar

it seems that "device commands" are only active if "auto updates" are enabled. But I've them disabled and only "manual updates" allowed. I don't see "device commands" at all for my two Pi's and can't update them.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:44 am 
FlightAware Staff
obj - FlightAware user avatar

MW50C3 wrote:
--On my page, it lists my feeder typically as checked in 1-4 minutes ago, yet just below that there is a list of a dozen or so flights that I've sent anywhere from 1-40 seconds ago. How can that make sense?

Piaware health heartbeats are every 5 minutes. The old stats page hid that from you. Would it be clearer if it said "Less than 5 minutes ago" for all values less than 5 minutes?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:45 am 
FlightAware Staff

MASHtm wrote:
it seems that "device commands" are only active if "auto updates" are enabled. But I've them disabled and only "manual updates" allowed. I don't see "device commands" at all for my two Pi's and can't update them.

This is a bug (mentioned elsewhere) that's in the process of being fixed.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:52 am 
FlightAware Staff
ericcarlson - FlightAware user avatar

Again, thanks for the input. We will be releasing a number of tweaks and bug fixes on Monday afternoon (Houston time). This will includes things like:
  • "Send command" hidden if auto updates enabled
  • Configure pop-up is not usable on small viewports
  • Stats should be shown in time zone of the site location
  • Blue pin not draggable on location Configure wizard
We are monitoring this thread and prioritizing additional changes for further short-term updates including a number of usability tweaks.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:30 am 
Rickh52 - FlightAware user avatar

Sorry, but the "Device Commands" section is still hidden for me. I in fact have auto-updates disabled. Also, the date shown for the various stats is a day behind. Today is May 5, but the latest stats shown are dated May 4.

I tried using Firefox and Chrome, cleared cache, did reload and restarted in case I needed to refresh *.js/*.css. No change.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 am 
pgjp6910 - FlightAware user avatar

Hello,

I am still wondering what was wrong with the previous look of the stats page? All was smooth and clear, in the right place and in right order.

My first impression of this new look was... what the hell is it? And frankly saying I am trying to understood why did you done this...
But to be constructive:
pro - well - size of the map was reduced and you can minimize unwanted windows

contra - screaming colours, colours and again - colours , windows size and generally saying a mess even if I was trying to set it in the way I like. I feel lost looking for information I need. And it is hard to use it on mobile what is important for some users like me.

If I could advice something - offer a button to switch between old and new look. It will be appreciated a lot!

regards,p

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:56 am 
rosen85 - FlightAware user avatar

My complaint is that the stats totals are on the top of their chart, not the bottom.
Every mathematician knows that when you sum numbers totals should be at the bottom.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:02 pm 
FlightAware Staff

Rickh52 wrote:
Sorry, but the "Device Commands" section is still hidden for me.

It is not Monday afternoon yet, so it is not surprising that the bug fixes are not visible to you.
ericcarlson wrote:
We will be releasing a number of tweaks and bug fixes on Monday afternoon (Houston time)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:47 pm 
Charter Member
KPryor - FlightAware user avatar

LtKernelPanic wrote:

2. What happened to current uptime streak? It shows the longest (but not the date range like before) but not your current streak and when it started,

I would like to see this come back too if possible.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:08 pm 
FlightAware Member
karlrobbins - FlightAware user avatar

karlrobbins wrote:
Nice looking page but I'm reporting a possible bug report within it.

Configuration Settings:
Auto-update PiAware software - Constantly defaults to "Allow". You try to enable "Prevent" but on reloading the page, it is back to "Allow" again.

I do not want Automatic updating allowed. I wish to update my Pi as and when I wish.

Thank you, this is now working properly. I am able to leave it on "prevent" without it resetting to "Allow" on its own.

Everything else, I am happy with :D

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:56 pm 
FlightAware Member
joelwiley - FlightAware user avatar

Site 6699 is configured with "I know my antenna's height off the ground" at 25 feet, and shows 25 above sea level.
Site 2394 is configured with "I know my antenna's elevation above sea level" at 807 feet and shows 807 feet above sea level.
I was under the impression that FA calculated elevation from location in the case of site 6699. If so, that does not seem to be happening in the new milieu.

Also, the configure window is currently immovable and unsizable. With the font size needed for me to be able to read the screen, the configure window cuts off the bottom portion such that I get about 1 1/2 lines of the log. Shrinking it small enough to see the full log makes the log too hard to read.

Something is only a problem if there is a solution. If no solution, then it's a disagreeable situation and not a problem.
'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next