All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Redesigned ADS-B Statistics pages
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:09 pm 
FlightAware Member
tdrane - FlightAware user avatar

"I've got to admit it's getting better
A little better all the time"
Paul McCartney

The window for Hourly Graph suffers in the area of usability and readability in that the graph is too small due to an abundance of space taken by legend and labels.

The mock up shown here is a suggested way to increase the size of the graph while still keeping the necessary labeling and legend information.

As you can see, the line "Hourly Collections Graph" has been removed and the window title bar changed to include the word "Graph." The legend for ADS-B colors and MLAT colors has been reduced to two lines with some redundant text removed. The Time of Day labels have been reduced to two digits in a 24 hour format (a personal preference. Hey, we are big boys and girls and know how a 24 hour clock works, even here in the U.S.) These three changes allow the graph to be taller.

The Positions count width on the Y axis has been reduced by using fewer characters allowing the graph to be wider. I've not seen an hourly graph with less than a thousand positions but I suppose, in that case, decimal points could be used for consistency, e.g. .8K .1K.

Reducing the weight of the plot lines was too much of a task in a bitmap editor so just imagine them to be thinner.

I hope the web design staff will take some or all of these suggestions under consideration as further improvements are made to the page.

Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 am 
FlightAware Staff
ericcarlson - FlightAware user avatar

@jaxxtheone thanks for the report; I'm asking the developers to look into that.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:20 am 
jaxxtheone - FlightAware user avatar

ericcarlson wrote:
@jaxxtheone thanks for the report; I'm asking the developers to look into that.

My pleasure!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:30 pm 
rosen85 - FlightAware user avatar

Thanks to the FlightAware Team for making changes so that totals are at the bottom.
Another thing is that when I view the "http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/" page on my mobile device, I do not see the drop-down menu to select country.
I am using Chrome and Opera (I have tried with Desktop User Agent in Opera also, and there is no change).
Can you take a look and fix this?
Keep up the good work. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:23 am 
FlightAware Staff

@rosen85, I believe this is a conscience decision (the country column is not shown on small screens) as there is simply too much in the table to display on a phone-size screen without zooming out to make the text very small. When I test with "request desktop site" I do see the full page with the country column and filter in Chrome on a phone.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:33 am 
MrCaLi - FlightAware user avatar

lovely to see the totals are now at the bottom and not at the top, simple fix and huge improvement :)

would it be possible to rectify the cell spacing/padding on the the nearby sites? (its ridiculously, takes me 2 full page scrolls to see it all)
the Joined and Last Seen cause issues because the columns are not wide enough, at certain points instead of being on a single line they double up and really stretch out. (see second and seventh down in the attached image)

also any cell padding reduction on both the 30 day and nearby sites would really help as its just making the data too far spread out.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:26 pm 
FlightAware Staff

@MrCaLi, I believe we already made some improvements to padding but looks like it still can be improved further on narrow viewports. We'll look into this more.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:25 pm 
FlightAware Staff

conligwx wrote:
just for the users. looks like the calculations for NEARBY SITES and not conforming to Median Stats

Example.

Site 1 has been inactive for 3/4 days.

on the old layout the flights in this module were Median based, which was the last 7 days figures.

so the last 7 days are:

the Median should be: 1142 but the layout shows 1,233.

http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/gi4bwm

to a Mathematician the stats are incorrect using the weeks median values. Perhaps I am wrong is surmising the values are suppose to me Median, as they were before but it looks like they are borked to me if 3 days of 0 values are not inclusive.

The logic here is median, however the zero days are not included as you point out. Zero days are really "no data"/null days (subtle distinction vs. 0 values) and are not included in the median calculation. Thank you for pointing out the issue here. It is an edge case (accounting for days with no data before calculating the median) and we don't have any immediate plans to change the calculation logic here. There was no change in the logic on the new stats page; this is the same behavior as in the past.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5