Power Interruption, Lost network Connection to RaspPi

Setup is rooftop RaspPi 3 wired to LAN 2 port of rooftop router and LAN 1 wired to indoor laptop. Running PiAware 3.1.0 with FR24 added.

When I interrupted the power that feeds both router and RaspPi on roof I no longer can communicate with the RaspPi. Router to laptop and internet are OK. No remote connection with Putty and no local flight tracking feed to laptop. Have tried rebooting the RaspPi alone via its power cord.

Last time I did this the solution involved bringing the RaspPi indoors and installing a new preloaded card. There must be an easier way to recover from a power interruption. (I do have a UPS feeding the system)

A power interruption on its own shouldn’t cause problems. You should recover the Pi (or at least the sdcard) and have a look at the system logs to work out what went wrong.

And it didn’t just change it’s IP address? Is the router providing DHCP ?

/M

I have not worked out what happened. But the RPi and/or memory card are inconsistent and unreliable. Will have to keep poking.

I installed another RPi with the 3.3.0 image so I have a second feeder at same location.

I am having trouble understanding the network as it involves 3 bridging routers. I did read that the piaware image disables SSH so I tried adding it to the config file and also put the blank file SSH.TXT on to the card … any comments on that point.

It really wasn’t too bad up on a snow covered tin roof at 2:00 am and -24C … but I might leave well alone for a while.

Verify the image works as you want (ssh, etc) before you put it on the roof?

I was looking for a comment on how to enable SSH for the PiAware 3.3.0 image from a windows laptop.

Follow the instructions (which you seem to have correct - create a file called “ssh” or “ssh.txt” on the first partition of the sdcard) and then verify it works as you want before you put it on the roof.

If you are having trouble getting it working then you need to explain what’s not working.

[quote="objFollow the instructions (which you seem to have correct - create a file called “ssh” or “ssh.txt” on the first partition of the sdcard) and then verify it works as you want before you put it on the roof.]

Reading the SD card in Windows I don’t see partitions or directories like /root/ or /boot/. I dropped SSH.TXT into the top directory G:.

It is possible that SSH is now enabled. The error I get with puTTY is “Network error: connection refused”

The Rpi is connected to FlightAware.com and sending data. Another RPi that I can SSH into is sending data to FA and FR24. Both RPis are wired into adjacent LAN ports of the router and the laptop is wirelessly connected. Both RPis have thumb drives with piaware-config files that differ only in assigning the local IP.[/quote]

That is normal. The first partition is mounted as /boot on the Pi, but windows will just see it as a “drive.”. Windows doesn’t understand the / filesystem on the other partition.

I dropped SSH.TXT into the top directory G:.

That should be the right place; that directory should also contain config.txt, cmdline.txt, and the other Pi boot files.

It is possible that SSH is now enabled. The error I get with puTTY is “Network error: connection refused”

Connection refused means it’s disabled.

Try lowercase ssh.txt. I forget exactly how windows does case on fat32 (I think case is stored, but windows treats it case-insensitively?). Linux will interpret it as case-sensitive. The ssh-enabling logic is identical to upstream Raspbian (it is literally the same thing) so whatever works there should also work with piaware; I suspect it’s looking only for the lowercase filename.

I used lower case as ssh.txt. Whether, upper might work I’ll try next time I want to disturb the system.

One thing is curious to me.

The Rpi that I can SSH into does not have the IP show as being leased by the router. It is assigned by the thumb drive.

For the RPi that I can’t SSH into its IP does show on the DHCP client list (it is also assigned by its thumb drive.)

Can’t understand the difference given both have thumb drives telling them what IP to use and both are hard wired into LAN ports. Perhaps this is a network issue.

Are you using dhcp or static config?

Also you don’t need the thumb drives if you edit piaware-config.txt directly on the sdcard

I have wired network and static IP assigned in piaware-config.txt on the thumb drive.

WIRED NETWORK CONFIGURATION

Should piaware use the wired ethernet port

for network access?

wired-network yes

Wired network configuration:

Most networks will use DHCP

wired-type static

It seems odd that the second Pi is getting a DHCP lease if it’s meant to be configured as static. In static mode it doesn’t do DHCP at all.

I think you are going to have to hook up a monitor and dig around to work out what’s going wrong there.
First thing to check would be that the network info on the status display after boot matches what you’re expecting.