All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: PiAware version 2 to version 3 upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:52 pm 
ten4ten8 - FlightAware user avatar

obj wrote:
Quote:
If so, what changes would not be available using that method?

The things that are unavailable are the parts of the sdcard image that require reconfiguring system config files based on piaware-config.txt, e.g. wifi settings, receiver type/gain configuraiton.
See https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/ad ... figuration, look for the options marked as sd card only.

Thank you very much for the info! A quick glance reveals that many of these options pertain to changing of WiFi information. Since I am running a plain-vanilla operation, I have not messed with any of those configurations thus far. I did use the RPi GUI to select my WiFi initially. With apologies in advance for the rookie question, does the unavailability of these options mean I would not be able to set (read: continue to use) WiFi as part of my setup?

Having read some contradictory posts about the stability/instability of WiFi connectivity with 3.0, I guess my broader question is whether an inplace 2.1-5 to 3.10 upgrade would require me to have to do any additional setup beyond completing the actual upgrade itself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:30 pm 
FlightAware Staff
obj - FlightAware user avatar

An upgrade from 2.x deliberately does not try to switch anything over to how the 3.x images do wifi configuration and so on (it is too hard / too risky to predict what has been changed by the user, we don't want to trash your existing system on upgrade!) so whatever you already have set up for wifi should continue to work unchanged. 3.x treats upgrades from 2.x in basically the same way as if you took a Raspbian image, configured it how you wanted, and then installed just the piaware / dump1090 packages on top - in those cases it does not touch the system config at all, it assumes you know what you're doing and doesn't mess with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:22 pm 
ten4ten8 - FlightAware user avatar

Thank you very much for your help! I went ahead and applied the update, and all seems to be well. I see what folks were talking about re: the icon size, and the map looking "busy". I also noticed that the Airframes.org link for each aircraft did not work--but I believe that is likely a database error on Airframes' end, and nothing related to programming on dump1090's end.

The categorization of aircraft and all the extra information is really terrific. What great work!

Again, many thanks for your time!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:47 pm 
FlightAware Member
jimcander - FlightAware user avatar

What if I'm running V2 with mutability? What changes will I see going to 3? I'm still running V1.15 I think?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:20 am 
jasdel49 - FlightAware user avatar

w7psk wrote:
Did the upgrade, flight counts are down, although Im going to see if they come back up after the heavy rains we had today caused it.

I though it was the easy way to do it and not break it. My maps are all pooched

SOOO

Tomorrow Im going to delve into re-image

UGH, I know I can break that easy.

Wish I could get my original Dec 26th 2014 date back.

The same thing happened to one of mine as well. It's still sending data to FA so I'll wait till I get time to do a fresh install. I've also noticed that the lines that show how long it has been up, no longer function correctly either, but that's very minor.

I wish I had just stayed with 2.x.x since it functioned okay.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:03 am 
FlightAware Member
jimcander - FlightAware user avatar

jasdel49 wrote:
The same thing happened to one of mine as well. It's still sending data to FA so I'll wait till I get time to do a fresh install. I've also noticed that the lines that show how long it has been up, no longer function correctly either, but that's very minor.

I wish I had just stayed with 2.x.x since it functioned okay.

I think I'm staying.... lol I am also using VirtualRadar for display. Just don't have weather. But... since I'm feeding FlightRadar24, I have weather there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:38 am 
EDVEaware - FlightAware user avatar

Hello Gents,

i tried to install V3 at morning. I get a dependency package error:

Quote:
piaware : Hängt ab von: init-system-helpers (>= 1.18~) aber 1.14 soll installiert werden

That means that init-system-helpers version 1.18 or higher is installed but package manager expect version 1.14.

Before V3 it was all fine with V2. How can i fix this? I'll try to install piaware on linux ubuntu 14.04.05 LTS on an odroid system ARM.

Quote:
Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.8.13.30 armv7l)

Into this issue help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:02 pm 
FlightAware Staff

EDVEaware wrote:
That means that init-system-helpers version 1.18 or higher is installed but package manager expect version 1.14.

You are trying to install a package built for Jessie onto a system older than Jessie.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:26 pm 

Is there a way to go back to V2?

In this case V3 is useless for me at this point. A new Ubuntu version will be release in the next month for my odroid system.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:58 pm 
FlightAware Staff

You can build a package that should work with wheezy using piaware_builder - see https://github.com/flightaware/piaware_builder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:08 pm 

Waste now 3h for nothing. Package manager exit with an issue. So i have found an old V2. Now its fine again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:12 pm 
FlightAware Staff

If you want to tell me what you tried and the issue was, or raise a github issue, I can look at it.
But without those details, it's not going to get fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:18 pm 

Code:
piaware version 3.1.0 matches changelog version 3.1.0~bpo70+1, good!
cd tcllauncher && autoconf -f && ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib/tcl8.5
Usage: autoconf [-h] [--help] [-m dir] [--macrodir=dir]
       [-l dir] [--localdir=dir] [--version] [template-file]
make[1]: *** [configure_tcllauncher] Fehler 1
make[1]: Verzeichnis »/home/odroid/piaware/piaware_builder/package-wheezy« wird verlassen
make: *** [build] Fehler 2
dpkg-buildpackage: Fehler: Fehler-Exitstatus von debian/rules build war 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:14 pm 
FlightAware Staff

Huh, I don't know what triggers that, the autoconf on my ubuntu 14.04 system knows about -f.
Code:
$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69

That usage message doesn't even seem to be a normal autoconf message, so there's something odd going on there. What's your autoconf package exactly?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:24 am 

Hello,

This version is installed on my system.

Code:
Package: autoconf
Priority: optional
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 1890
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: all
Multi-Arch: foreign
Version: 2.69-6
Depends: perl (>> 5.005), m4 (>= 1.4.13), debianutils (>= 1.8)
Recommends: automake | automaken
Suggests: autoconf2.13, autoconf-archive, gnu-standards, autoconf-doc, libtool,                  gettext
Breaks: autoconf2.13 (<< 2.13-47), gettext (<< 0.10.39), pkg-config (<< 0.25-1.1                 )
Conffiles:
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50autoconf.el 297521889d690871ec9d89c5eeff745a
Description: automatic configure script builder
The standard for FSF source packages.  This is only useful if you
write your own programs or if you extensively modify other people's
programs.
For an extensive library of additional Autoconf macros, install the
`autoconf-archive' package.
This version of autoconf is not compatible with scripts meant for
Autoconf 2.13 or earlier.  If you need support for such scripts,
you must also install the autoconf2.13 package.
Original-Maintainer: Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@debian.org>
Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:27 am 
martinchurch - FlightAware user avatar

Hi,

I have updated from 2.1.5 to 3.1.0 without any issues. In my configuration I have Modesmixer connecting serial over USB to my Beast receiver and piaware is connecting to a beast format output from Modesmixer.

With 3.1.0, I see that I can now connect directly from piaware to the Beast over USB. I would like to use this but, I cannot see any way that my FR24feed or my local VRS could pick up the beast data from piaware. They both currently connect to Modesmixer.

Do I have to continue to use modesmixer if I want to do more with my data than just feed FA?

Martin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:39 am 
FlightAware Staff

martinchurch wrote:
Hi,

I have updated from 2.1.5 to 3.1.0 without any issues. In my configuration I have Modesmixer connecting serial over USB to my Beast receiver and piaware is connecting to a beast format output from Modesmixer.

With 3.1.0, I see that I can now connect directly from piaware to the Beast over USB. I would like to use this but, I cannot see any way that my FR24feed or my local VRS could pick up the beast data from piaware. They both currently connect to Modesmixer.

Do I have to continue to use modesmixer if I want to do more with my data than just feed FA?

Martin

When piaware is configured for a beast, it sets things up so that the beast data is available on port 30005, you should be able to point whatever you want at that. It uses beast-splitter to talk to the beast and fan that data out to multiple clients including faup1090, fa-mlat-client, dump1090 for local map display, and whatever else you want to add. Beast-splitter is playing basically the same role as modesmixer in your existing setup.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:22 am 

Thanks for the info.

I have stopped Modesmixer so that /dev/ttyUSB0 is freed and added "receiver-type beast" to piaware-config. What I see in the log is...

10/08/2016 12:03:23 0 msgs recv'd from the Mode-S Beast serial port; 0 msgs sent to FlightAware

...and the program then reverts to looking for data on 30005 (which it isn't going to find).

10/08/2016 12:03:52 no ADS-B data program seen listening on port 30005 for 64 seconds, next check in 60s
10/08/2016 12:03:52 logged in to FlightAware as user martinchurch
10/08/2016 12:03:53 multilateration data requested
10/08/2016 12:03:53 no ADS-B data program is serving on port 30005, not starting multilateration client yet
10/08/2016 12:04:52 no ADS-B data program seen listening on port 30005 for 124 seconds, next check in 60s
10/08/2016 12:04:53 no ADS-B data program is serving on port 30005, not starting multilateration client yet

I notice that in the documentation that a receiver type of "Beast" has (SD card image installs only) after it. As my Wheezy configuration is not based on your SD Card image, is this my problem? Is there an easy way to fix this without using your SD Card?

Martin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:15 am 
FlightAware Staff

Ah, sorry. You do need the sdcard image for it to work without further intervention. The sdcard image includes a service that runs early during boot and configures beast-splitter and dump1090 based on the receiver-type.

If you're happy sticking with modesmixer then that should continue to work fine. You can set PiAware's receiver-type to "other" (and set receiver-host / receiver-port) to tell it to just connect for data and not try to manage the receiver at all. Or the defaults should continue to work too.

Or you could install and configure beast-splitter if you want to switch to that. I don't have a wheezy package for this but you may be able to build one from source: https://github.com/flightaware/beast-splitter

beast-splitter may work a little better as it can handle different clients wanting different settings (filtering, mode A/C, etc), which I don't think modesmixer does. But it does only data relaying and doesn't generate the webpages etc that modesmixer has.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:57 am 

I'll stick with Modesmixer for now. I've changed the receiver type to "other" and all is working very well.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:50 pm 
KD4ITI - FlightAware user avatar

Well I updated piaware to ver 3 today and updated dump 1090
I thought I would try this before downloading a new image for the SD card.
All went well, NO problems :-)
I love the new map, colors and radar!
Well worth the upgrade folks !

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:31 am 
FlightAware Staff

EDVEaware wrote:
Hello,

This version is installed on my system.

Code:
Package: autoconf
Version: 2.69-6

This is pretty weird because I have exactly that version installed on my Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS system (x86, not ARM) and I have confirmed that the package builds fine there. So there is something odd about your odroid system, but I don't know what.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:42 pm 

I've found V2 on my odroid and thats working for me at the moment very well. I'm not a pro in linux but an advanced user, but i can't give you any hind here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:24 pm 
FlightAware Member
ExCalbr - FlightAware user avatar

So I received an anomaly report stating,

Quote:
Anomaly report for PiAware feeder with a MAC address of b8:27:eb:1a:5a:10:
This system is running PiAware version 2.1. PiAware version 3.1 is current. Please upgrade to the latest version by visiting http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/upgrade.
CPU load of 93% is fairly high. You might consider running fewer programs on your Pi, or upgrading your Pi to a faster version such as the Pi 2.

Note that this report is given for each of my receivers, even though one has been on 3.1 for some time. I selected the one running 2.1 (it is a Raspberry Pi 2), and selected the item to upgrade everything. After about 30 minutes of an unresponsive website, I selected the option to reboot the device. Now it appears to be back on the old dump1090. What is the recommended procedure to continue from here? The RP is in the attic, so I'd prefer a remote solution.

Edit: Well, I telneted in to see what I could figure out and opted to trigger a reboot that way. Now I con't ping anymore. I tried also disconnecing and reconnecting power. No joy.

I had delayed upgrading because of the reports of issues when using a wifi dongle. I figured since I was being notified of an anomaly it was safe to upgrade. Apparently not.

Using the Fing app (nice, simple networking app for iOS), I did a scan of all the devices on my network, and it reports that one from stale statistics (it's not currently active but was last time I ran Fing). It lists the device as Edimax Technology. It is not connected elsewhere as a different IP#.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:35 pm 
FlightAware Staff

2.1 -> 3.1 remote upgrade does not touch your networking stuff at all (it upgrades only the core piaware package), so you have some other problem there.

93% CPU on a Pi 2 means there's something else wrong there too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next