All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: PiAware version 2 to version 3 upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:02 am 
FlightAware Member
f1jek - FlightAware user avatar

Hi,

I have successfully migrated my RPI2 (Jessie) from Piaware 2 to Piaware 3. Nevertheless, the WiFi configuration has been broken : a new MacAddress has been given to the WiFi card and all the existing connexions have been deleted. Please tell me how to recover my usual config.

J-Luc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:04 am 
FlightAware Staff
obj - FlightAware user avatar

A package upgrade does not touch your wifi config (or any other system settings, for that matter) at all, so you have a different problem there.

If you have done something other than a package upgrade using the stats page interface, you need to start by describing what you did.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:19 am 
FlightAware Member

I did the package upgrade from the stats page and restart, that's all.

A new mac-address has been affected to the wlan0 interface.

The first one is the one working, nevertheless the second one is the one which gives the mac-address to the Pi, creating a new "site" for me :-(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:31 am 
FlightAware Staff

So this is systemd doing its thing of renaming network interfaces. I don't know why it has renamed eth0, but that is the trigger for the site change: piaware tries to use the MAC of eth0, and if eth0 does not exist, then it uses one of the other MAC addresses in the system. It is unpredictable which "other" address will get picked. The mechanism that piaware used changed between 2 and 3, and that change happens to pick a different interface on your system.

For maximum predictability, you need an eth0.

piaware does not touch any of the config that affects interface naming (in fact, on the sdcard images, the interface renaming is explicitly disabled), perhaps you updated some other things at the same time or it was the first reboot in a while? Or perhaps it has always been that way and you only happened to notice it now? (The b8:... interface is likely to be the wired ethernet, unless you have a Pi 3 in which case it could be either the wired ethernet or the built-in wifi)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:34 am 
FlightAware Member

Quote:
For maximum predictability, you need an eth0.

This is the root reason. In fact, probably to avoid some "site identifier" changes (when the WiFi dongle is changed for example), Piaware 3 uses the eth0 mac-address as site identifier and no more the active interface mac-address, which was used by Piaware 2 and is wlan0 in my station, as already explained before... :-/.

Best regards
J-Luc

Edit : config messed while playing remotely with it... restoring the SD card from IMG backup while at home :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:50 pm 
FlightAware Member
jimcander - FlightAware user avatar

Is there a compelling reason for me to move from 2 to 3? I'm not a high traffic site so I'm not moving to a new Pi. What are the configuration settings that you don't have access to if you do the inplace upgrade?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:26 pm 
FlightAware Member
jonhawkes2030 - FlightAware user avatar

jimcander wrote:
Is there a compelling reason for me to move from 2 to 3? I'm not a high traffic site so I'm not moving to a new Pi. What are the configuration settings that you don't have access to if you do the inplace upgrade?

A better decoder if using an RTL-SDR or FA style dongle.
Simple/easy support for Mode S Beast and Radarcape
NEXRAD weather radar
Colour coded altitude
Ability to sort list by distance, country, RSSI etc
Range rings
Additional aircraft icons
Click to centre highlight aircraft on map
Updated MLAT client
Updated Maps
IPV6 support

Several hundred bug fixes

Your antenna doesn't seem to be very high so it may not be worth an upgrade. (I get the same range from my basement window test units)
The code should run on your current device, assuming the CPU is not currently high.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:27 am 
FlightAware Member

2 to 3 means Piaware 2 to 3 or Pi2 to Pi3 ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:34 pm 
GeorgLichtblau - FlightAware user avatar

baqwas wrote:
Quote:
mlat(2384): Beast-format results connection with localhost:90104: [Errno 111] Connection refused/quote]

Is it really Port 90104????? TCP/UDP-Ports are from 0 to 65535....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:13 pm 
FlightAware Staff

GeorgLichtblau wrote:
baqwas wrote:
Quote:
mlat(2384): Beast-format results connection with localhost:90104: [Errno 111] Connection refused/quote]

Is it really Port 90104????? TCP/UDP-Ports are from 0 to 65535....

90104 is obviously wrong. I assumed a typo when transcribing. The standard configuration is 30104.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:48 am 
FlightAware Member
jimcander - FlightAware user avatar

jonhawkes2030 wrote:
jimcander wrote:

A better decoder if using an RTL-SDR or FA style dongle.
Simple/easy support for Mode S Beast and Radarcape
NEXRAD weather radar
Colour coded altitude
Ability to sort list by distance, country, RSSI etc
Range rings
Additional aircraft icons
Click to centre highlight aircraft on map
Updated MLAT client
Updated Maps
IPV6 support

Several hundred bug fixes

Your antenna doesn't seem to be very high so it may not be worth an upgrade. (I get the same range from my basement window test units)
The code should run on your current device, assuming the CPU is not currently high.

But if I'm using obj's version of dump, some of these "improvements" are moot, correct?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:13 pm 
FlightAware Member

almost all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:18 pm 
rreynard - FlightAware user avatar

I'm seeing some altitude issues with the new version. It's reporting many aircraft below ground level here in Colorado. Yesterday I reported this to the support desk and sent them screen shots. There was one aircraft doing 186kts at about 200' BELOW ground level. That takes a helluva lot of horsepower.

Hope this gets fixed in a patch soon. Kind of makes the other reports hard to believe.

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:42 pm 
FlightAware Staff

rreynard wrote:
I'm seeing some altitude issues with the new version. It's reporting many aircraft below ground level here in Colorado. Yesterday I reported this to the support desk and sent them screen shots. There was one aircraft doing 186kts at about 200' BELOW ground level. That takes a helluva lot of horsepower.

Hope this gets fixed in a patch soon. Kind of makes the other reports hard to believe.

I would need to see the raw data when this happens. Try "view1090-fa --show-only ABCDEF | tee ABCDEF.log" for some hexid ABCDEF that is showing the problem, control-C it after a while, and mail ABCDEF.log to me?

Note that Mode S transponders report pressure altitude, not AGL or AMSL.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:45 pm 
FlightAware Member

The reading are possible and normal.Look at the weather info http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KAPA/weather
You are experiencing a high pressure(good weather generally) situation at the moment, 30.3x "hg.
Many, not all, transponders transmit pressure altitude. It has to be corrected to get the actual altitude. There are automated (and manual) systems that do this for ATC.
Even those that transmit HAE can get messed up as the earth is not perfectly round or spherical.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:52 pm 

jonhawkes2030 wrote:
The reading are possible and normal.Look at the weather info http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KAPA/weather
You are experiencing a high pressure(good weather generally) situation at the moment, 30.3x "hg.
Many, not all, transponders transmit pressure altitude. It has to be corrected to get the actual altitude. There are automated (and manual) systems that do this for ATC.
Even those that transmit HAE can get messed up as the earth is not perfectly round or spherical.

It just started with this update. Several of us have noticed it. Our pressure has been vertical near normal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:58 pm 
FlightAware Staff

If you can send me the raw messages, I'm happy to look into it. Or a hexid + a UTC time and I can look at the reported data and see if it is consistent between receivers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:28 pm 
FlightAware Member

rreynard wrote:
jonhawkes2030 wrote:

It just started with this update. Several of us have noticed it. Our pressure has been vertical near normal.

A QNH of 30.3 gives a difference of almost 400 feet. 30.35 is ~430ft.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:40 pm 

jonhawkes2030 wrote:
rreynard wrote:
jonhawkes2030 wrote:

A QNH of 30.3 gives a difference of almost 400 feet. 30.35 is ~430ft.

But I'm seeing errors of 1200 - 2000' that'd be 1.2 to 2" Hg, Our pressures aren't varying that much. And the changes were immediate.

I'll have to grab something when I can find another example.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:46 pm 
FlightAware Staff

rreynard wrote:
I'll have to grab something when I can find another example.

OK. I can't do anything without more details, so let me know if/when you see it again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:04 pm 

a2bb73. The area where he was (showing 109kts at 5200') he would have been in the pattern at 6600', but the message was showing him 200' below field level. The terrain in that area was over 5800'.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:23 pm 
FlightAware Staff

That aircraft does not appear to be ADS-B equipped. I had to guess at location and time since you didn't say, but the lowest altitude reported by your receiver to FlightAware today for that aircraft was 5800ft, so I think this is a map display problem rather than a decoding problem.

Note that since it's not ADS-B equipped, any speeds you see are from mlat and not hugely trustworthy. mlat does generate altitudes (that are fairly unreliable if there's no transponder altitude) but it never generated an altitude below 5500ft, so I am not sure where the 5200 is coming from.

Can you get a message capture as I explained above?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:12 pm 

I don't have direct access to the Pi right now. I'll work on getting more info.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:52 pm 
ten4ten8 - FlightAware user avatar

jimcander wrote:
What are the configuration settings that you don't have access to if you do the inplace upgrade?

I have the same question. Running a vanilla version of 2.1-5 at present, I'd like to get the multicolored icons, new/different aircraft icons, range rings, and new sorting methods.

Would these be available via the inplace upgrade? If so, what changes would not be available using that method?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:05 pm 
FlightAware Staff

ten4ten8 wrote:
jimcander wrote:
What are the configuration settings that you don't have access to if you do the inplace upgrade?

I have the same question. Running a vanilla version of 2.1-5 at present, I'd like to get the multicolored icons, new/different aircraft icons, range rings, and new sorting methods.

Would these be available via the inplace upgrade?

Yes.

Quote:
If so, what changes would not be available using that method?

The things that are unavailable are the parts of the sdcard image that require reconfiguring system config files based on piaware-config.txt, e.g. wifi settings, receiver type/gain configuraiton.
See https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/ad ... figuration, look for the options marked as sd card only.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next