PiAware Errors

HI
I’m trying to setup my new RPi2 and there are some issues over my Rpi B+ setup

I have 2 issues with the new PiAware 2.1.2 and the dump1090 1.2.2

1. Issue 1 is the PiAware client never receives any data from dump1090. Dump1090 is receiving data and displaying it correctly. It could be because of this line
    /usr/bin/faup1090 --net-bo-ipaddr localhost --net-bo-port 30005

This is what piaware says it runs to start the service. The problem I think is the word localhost - how can I change that to read my i.p. address of my Rpi e.g.
/usr/bin/faup1090 --net-bo-ipaddr 192.168.2.23 --net-bo-port 30005

And

1. Whenever I load the flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/fil … _armhf.deb package, it immediately knocks my DVT-B receiver out and gives me this error

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
(dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.
usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

I have already set the blacklist file up and it works with EVERY other version of dump1090 except this above one.

No amount of restarting , rebooting, or adding exact types into the blacklist file works.

There are no problems when updating my RPi b+ just the new ARM7 RPi2

Thanks

I suspect you have another (non-packaged) dump1090 running that you will need to disable first if you want to use the FA package.

localhost is 127.0.0.1 which always refers to the local system.

No, that’s not the case.

It makes no difference if I install cleanly or as an upgrade. Its still the same and doesn’t work.

How have you verified that you do not have another dump1090 running?

I built it from scratch 8 or 9 times. So I KNOW nothing else is running.

Ok, can you explain “built it from scratch”? Are you starting from a sdcard image? Which sdcard image?

Debian Wheezy - from the start as in “built from scratch”!

OK, that should work then and if you’re not installing other dump1090s I can’t see those interfering.

Can you run through the exact install steps you’re doing?
(In particular, any other packages you’re installing, and the details of how you’re installing the blacklist would be handy)

Angelus it looks like you are new here. The best help you will get on this forum, period, is from the person replying to you. If you detail exactly what he is asking, you will end up with a solution.

You may think the questions are basic and ‘newbie targeted’ but the skill level on this forum goes from expert to minus 3, so some filtering and baby steps are required in troubleshooting. A lot of us overlook minor steps and this man sees through them all.

Just some friendly advice :smiley:

Its also good not to “assume” people are newbies. And just because its the first time on the forum, it doesn’t negate the years of experience I have troubleshooting IT issues for my job. ANd if you didn’t know, you just need to ask and not assume!!

That saying, there could be an option somewhere in our profile which would indicate roughly the level of expertise. As is, I’ve been doing RPi ADSB for well over a year and know enough to be able to trouble shoot most problems, its only when things which should work as an upgrade (or even as a clean install) don’t.

Now that that’s out of the way…

Steps before it breaks…

1. Download latest Debian Wheezy and install onto Micro SD Card
  2. Change the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf to read my wifi

3. Change /etc/network/interfaces to give a static IP

4. Plug in DVB-T USB

5. Edit the no-rtl.conf to be

blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
blacklist rtl2832
blacklist rtl2830

A little humility can go a long way especially when YOU’RE looking for help. It’s not good to “assume” anyone is here to help you, that way when someone steps up you can respond with a pleased, Thank You, even if it’s not at your so-called level of expertise.

And as far as having an option to indicate expertise level - why not an idiot level as well that everyone else gets to select?

Sounds like you don’t need help.

I’m sure that given your years of experience in troubleshooting IT problems, you appreciate the need for complete, precise information when you’re troubleshooting. If I was to follow your steps above to try to reproduce it, I wouldn’t even have dump1090 installed. This description is missing at least:

• the path to “no-rtl.conf” that you edited (or created? I have no file named no-rtl.conf on my wheezy install)
  • the steps you took to install piaware and dump1090

If I had to guess at the problem from the limited information I have, then there are a few possibilities:

• Is dump1090 running when you’re not expecting it to, and you’re starting a second copy? check. Fire up ps and take a look.
  • Does rtl_test work? You may not even have rtl_test as I don’t know if you’re installing a copy of librtlsdr + tools or not, but if you do, that’s a simple way to check whether it’s a problem specifically with the dump1090 package or a wider problem with things that want to use librtlsdr.
  • Is the blacklisting effective? Does lsmod show stray modules loaded?

I did a wheezy install via raspbian-ua-netinst a few weeks ago specifically to check that the piaware/dump1090 packages worked OK on a vanilla install, and they did. So you are doing something differently to what I did. Let’s try to find out what that is.

After a fresh reboot, before starting up any services, what does lsmod report and what does rtltest -t report? Can you get access to the USB stick via rtltest? (And is this a fresh install? Is the USB hooked into a powered hub or direct to the Pi, power issues can be a major pain with the Pi’s.)

Edit: go with obj’s suggestions…

It’s OK, I got put in my place. Even though my words were ‘new to posting here’, and lucked out that one of the most experienced people, namely the software developer, was trying to help, it somehow came out that this person was a total ignorant n00b to technology in general.

Serves me right for thinking I could help. It won’t happen again!

I should spend more time up on the roof and away from the computer anyways.

It’s been awhile since you’ve commented, are you any further ahead or still having problems?
…Tom

No, no where forward except to keep running my old setup on my B+ and extremely busy.

dump1090 is working with the data being posted to its own web page.

I did a clean install to another RPi B+ and it worked fine, same method exactly.

I’m using an RPi 2 for this install - Different architecture - could be causing an issue???

These are my install steps

1. Download latest Debian Wheezy and install onto Micro SD Card

2. On RPi

3. Change /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf to read
    ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
    update_config=1
    network={
    ssid=“ssid here”
    psk=“psk here”
    proto=RSN
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    pairwise=CCMP
    auth_alg=OPEN
    }

4. Change /etc/network/interfaces to read
    auto wlan0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    allow-hotplug wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.2.23
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.2.1
    network 192.168.2.0
    broadcast 192.168.2.255
    dns-nameservers 192.168.2.1 8.8.8.8

wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install git-core
sudo apt-get install git
sudo apt-get install cmake
sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
sudo apt-get install build-essential

1. Plug in DVB-T USB
    git clone git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git
    cd rtl-sdr
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake …/ -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo ldconfig
    cd ~
    sudo cp ./rtl-sdr/rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
    sudo reboot
    rtl_test –t
    cd /etc/modprobe.d

sudo nano no-rtl.conf
blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
blacklist rtl2832
blacklist rtl2830
sudo reboot
rtl_test –t

1. Install dump1090
    cd ~
    git clone git://github.com/MalcolmRobb/dump1090.git
    cd dump1090
    make

2. Install PiAware from uk.flightaware.com
    wget uk.flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/ … _armhf.deb
    sudo dpkg -i piaware_2.1-2_armhf.deb
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get install –fy
    sudo piaware-config -autoUpdate 1 -manualUpdate 1
    sudo piaware-config -mlat 1
    sudo piaware-config -mlatResults 1
    sudo piaware-config -user Angelus -password
    sudo /etc/init.d/piaware restart

The above is for a fresh install whichs works on my RPi B+

If I then upgrade PiAware as I have done on my working setup then it upgrades fine. But if I then upgrade dump1090 or build a new setup on my RPi 2 with the updated dump1090 as per
flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/fil … _armhf.deb then it starts causing problems

OK, so at the end of step (7) you have a working system, right?

What do you mean when you say that you then upgrade piaware and it works fine? Are you doing that by manually installing a package, or via the web interface? Also I am a little confused because your steps install 2.1-2 already, which is the latest; an “upgrade” won’t actually install a new version.

What are the steps you take after that to install the new dump1090 from the debian package?

How do you go about disabling the dump1090 installed in step 6? (Because that was a manual install from source, the debian packaging system has no knowledge of it, so it’s not going to disable/replace any init.d scripts etc when you install the dump1090 debian package)

Can you check for stray modules via lsmod as I suggested, perhaps you have autodetach in your compiled version of librtlsdr (the dump1090 package provides a statically linked version so it will not use your system-wide versions of librtlsdr)

Nice to see you’re still here. Now please, listen to what Oliver has to say, he will not steer you wrong.
…Tom

I also assume that you mean a Raspbian wheezy sdcard image, not a Debian wheezy image (AIUI, Debian wheezy will not work on a B+ as it’s built for armv7)