PiAware Anomilies

Saturday will mark a week since I’ve had my PiAware, and I am simply GEEKING out that I can see what aircraft are near my location. Some tracking include a 787 at FL400, a Canadair Global Express, various Airbuses and Boeings, and a handful of GA flights as well. Pretty awesome! I keep my ADS-B stats page open quite frequently at work so I can see what flights are being tracked as well as when the last update to FlightAware was.

Last night, I noticed an hour had passed since my PiAware had updated to FlightAware. I kept an eye on it. Another hour passed. 2 hours with no response from my unit. Finally, after a third hour with no contact from my unit, I received an anomaly report on my ADS-B page. For those of you who get unresponsive units, my experience has shown that a simple reboot is usually the fix, so you may find the commands below useful if you find yourself in a similar situation.

To restart PiAware:

sudo /etc/init.d/piaware restart

To reboot your Pi:

sudo reboot

To check your output file (to see if messages are getting to FlightAware:

tail /tmp/piaware.out

To have your output file continuously updated in real time:

tail -f /tmp/piaware.out

Cntrl-C will stop the update.
To shut down your Pi (cool it off, move it, etc):

sudo shutdown -h now

Then disconnect your power source.
To check on available memory:

free -o -h

To check on processor core temp:

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp

Wooo Hoo! I get the same “GEEK out” buzz that you get.

FWIW, I experienced the “not found” issue at the same time you did. I think FA may have took down a server or something. I did nothing and things returned to normal.

GEEK on! :mrgreen:

not able to see my stats. My page shows a device that is registered to me from when I started it up before I got the antenna, but no stats even since I restarted it with the antenna attached. I wish I could get the other device cleared out and start from scratch.

I wish I could get the other device cleared out and start from scratch.

You can! But you’ll have to wait a month. I understand FlightAware removes inactive receivers after 30 days of inactivity. Wait for your reciever to be removed by FlightAware and then plug it in and try again. If you’re impatient like me, I’m sure there are other ways.

I’m no expert when it comes to this kind of stuff. I’m quite the novice myself, but I would recommend using the shut down command above, disconnect the power source, unplug everything, plug it back in, and then reconnect the power source. You could also try moving your antenna to other locations.

If all else fails, I would wipe the memory card, redownload the image of PiAware 1.15 and run it as a brand new install. There are other commands in the discussion boards where you can see the log of aircraft tracked by your Pi. If you can find the code, you may want to try that as well. If there are no logs on your Pi, then you could also possibly have a defective antenna/dongle. Lots of variables to play with, I know. But, it’s pretty easy to make a clean sweep and start over. If I can do it, anyone can!

Is this not your setup? flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/jeffwingo