No DT PC, no Rpi

Anyone successfully get a Debian Linux OS cpu ( atom processor or similar)or Raspy/Wheezy + dump1090 and piaware to play together? I first tried switching the OS to Raspbian Wheezy but my Acer Aspire One protested. (The RaspberryPi(s) are very good for the money but maybe this would be better especially as Multi-Lat is expanding)?

Idea(s) Anyone? Problems? One part of the FlightAware boiler plate alludes to this endeavor but I don’t see or hear much.

hiflyer7

I’m running a modified version of mutability’s piaware (FlightAware’s mlat code has been added in) on my Banana Pro (should be similar in CPU performance to the Raspberry Pi 2), which is running Ubuntu Trusty armhf.

It’s certainly possible to run dump1090 and piaware on any Linux OS.

saiarcot895,

Thanks much for the reply. I don’t know. I’ve tried first Debian and Github Dump1090 (Mut). Next, Ubuntu 1404 and piaware dump1090 all using copy paste. I never got dump1090 to successfully load and run in either case.

It is possible the architecture of my minilap Acer Aspire One (Atom N270) 2 gigs has something to do but it has never before shown any shortcomings for what it is.

Those of you who have done this without an Rpi I’d sure appreciate your “how to tips”?! Please include your cpu hardware.

Thanks again!

Hiflyer7

You will need to compile dump1090 and piaware from scratch. Rpi and Acer have 2 different CPU architectures.
I have it working and us that setup as my main feeder setup.

bartmellaerts

You found the source code for both Dump1090 and PiAware. I get the 404 error returned… Could you or someone furnish the source code url for:

1. Dump1090 Edit: Found this one now need source code url for PiWare.

2. PiAware Preferably the code that works best ie. interlinked

You’ve been very helpful! Thank you!

hiflyer7

Piaware: https://github.com/mutability/piaware

Dump1090: https://github.com/mutability/dump1090

These are some instructions I found at time I was setting everything up.
pastebin.com/eKbm118F

dump_mr is/was the one from Flightaware, but a lot of people use the one provided by obj (dump1090-mutability). You got the links already in the post above.

N456TS

I’ve gotten almost to the end of Dump1090 but instead of seeing a/c produced by my R820T2 I’m caught up in the
“detach” or “black list” or “enable auto detach”… I did the “black list” but still stalled out.

Question 1) where in Ubuntus many folders is my “black list”? I need to check that it exists. Plus check that is operating upon reboot.

question 2) I’m finding evidence of ppup folders! How could it ever get there? I made up a fresh “stick” ie "formatted! How is it possible that PlanePlotter data/folders would show up in a totally new install of Ubuntu 1404 and dump1090?

Question 3) What is a way to find out if I have “another” instance of dump1090 booting and that is causing my failure?

TIA!
hiflyer7

Usually /etc/modprobe.d/rtl-sdr-blacklist.conf

question 2) I’m finding evidence of ppup and how could it ever get there? I made up a fresh “stick”! How is it possible that PlanePlotter data/folders would show up in a totally new install of Ubuntu 1404 and dump1090?

ppup1090 is built as part of MalcolmRobb’s fork of dump1090.

Question 3) What is the easiest way to find out if I have “another” instance of dump1090 booting and that is causing my failure?

“pgrep -l dump1090”. If it returns nothing, there’s no dump1090 running.

bartmellaerts
N456TS
Obj
+all others

I was unable to get source code for dump1090 mr but dl the dump1090 Github and Piaware…with great help from your file (bartmellaerts) I have it running and showing some a/c. Thanks to all you guys!

I would grade my Nexus7 +android app an edge over 2 different B+ Rpi(s). No Rpi ie Ubuntu +dump/1090/piaware (yet to be tweaked) is showing maybe 40% of the a/c that are shown by my Rpi setups. I have yet to solve getting the port 30005 etc sorted. If that was included in PiAware I missed it?!

I suspect appropriate terminal command statement(s) should do it? Then my IT signal will reach FlightAware as intended.

hiflyer7

et al,

Running Ubuntu 1404 with Dump1090 (mut)& PiAware , a USB Receiver “R820T2” and a counterpoised 1/4 wave (ie no RPi at all). It is my positions/ planes winner at my QTH looking out 3 directions with 2 Rpi(s) and (1) Ubuntu acquiring South, West and North. The “Netbook” is a 5 year old Acer Aspire One (N270 Atom Processor). A very compact, simple and stable setup…

Thanks FA for the great software!

Carl