All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: New, inexpensive 1090MHz antenna for sale
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:44 pm 
alfenheim - FlightAware user avatar

What is the best outdoor or weatherproof cable for this antenna and FlightAware Pro Stick? I did actually buy this cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F ... UTF8&psc=1) but it's significantly dropping receiving signal which was quite disappointing. Any idea or experience with this cable? I both tested with 6.5/26.2ft version.

Any recommendation will be highly appreciated.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 pm 
mduell - FlightAware user avatar

alfenheim wrote:
What is the best outdoor or weatherproof cable for this antenna and FlightAware Pro Stick? I did actually buy this cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F ... UTF8&psc=1) but it's significantly dropping receiving signal which was quite disappointing. Any idea or experience with this cable? I both tested with 6.5/26.2ft version.

The problem with that cable is it's reverse (polarity) SMA, there's literally no pin on either end just a gap between the cable and the dongle connector. You need a normal male SMA to male N cable.

Could trying stuffing a little bit of bare wire in there between the holes in the cable and the dongle; should get much better results.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 pm 
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

alfenheim wrote:

Chris

mduell wrote:
The problem with that cable is it's reverse (polarity) SMA, there's literally no pin on either end just a gap between the cable and the dongle connector. You need a normal male SMA to male N cable.

Could trying stuffing a little bit of bare wire in there between the holes in the cable and the dongle; should get much better results.

TEMPORARY WORKAROUND
The SMA-male has center pin. The reverse SMA (RP-SMA) male does not have a center pin, it has a hole. The center wire connection is open because of missing pin. A temporary workaround is to cut a short piece of center wire of coax and insert in hole of RP-SMA male. This piece of wire will act as the missing pin, and connection will be established.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMA AND RP-SMA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:22 pm 

mduell wrote:
alfenheim wrote:

Wow, now I understand what "reverse" means....thanks very much mduel!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:24 pm 

abcd567 wrote:
alfenheim wrote:

Chris

mduell wrote:

TEMPORARY WORKAROUND
The SMA-male has center pin. The reverse SMA (RP-SMA) male does not have a center pin, it has a hole. The center wire connection is open because of missing pin. A temporary workaround is to cut a short piece of center wire of coax and insert in hole of RP-SMA male. This piece of wire will act as the missing pin, and connection will be established.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMA AND RP-SMA

Now I fully understand the difference. Also thanks for providing workaround, let me give a try and will see how it goes!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15