All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: New, inexpensive 1090MHz antenna for sale
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm 
FlightAware Staff
ericcarlson - FlightAware user avatar

We apologize for the antennas being temporarily out of stock. As stated earlier in the thread we have them on order but there is an unfortunately complex issue we're working through with the shipper (their mistake, not ours). They are literally "in the mail" so to speak but I do not have an ETA at the moment. As soon as we have updated information from the shipper we will provide updates on when to expect the antennas back in stock on Amazon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:18 pm 
steveej - FlightAware user avatar

Thanks for the update. I will keep watching and waiting for them to show up. Hopefully they are worth the wait. I noticed that bundle dealers seem to have them and want a premium for the all in one kits. Amazon and Bay are loaded with them. They can keep them as I like to build my own system anyway and can get at least 2 antennas for what they want for one bundle.

Thanks again. Hopefully in a few days they will be in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:47 pm 
djmd808 - FlightAware user avatar

What's should I expect performance wise vs. my homebuilt spider? I kind of want to get one of these for the inherent weather-proof qualities of the N connector and the antenna itself... it'd totally be worth the $45 if I see a bump in aircraft received, even a modest one. I believe I got lucky cutting my antenna, it seems to do GREAT compared to the users around me... but it only has 4 radials and I know many people preach 8 or even more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:29 pm 
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

djmd808 wrote:
What's should I expect performance wise vs. my homebuilt spider? I kind of want to get one of these for the inherent weather-proof qualities of the N connector and the antenna itself... it'd totally be worth the $45 if I see a bump in aircraft received, even a modest one. I believe I got lucky cutting my antenna, it seems to do GREAT compared to the users around me... but it only has 4 radials and I know many people preach 8 or even more.

I have done comparison of FA antenna with Cantenna, and found FA antenna performs much better.

My 8 leg Sipder gives nearly same performance as Cantenna, so you can safely take comparison of FA antenna with Cantenna as comparison of FA antenna with Spider.

http://discussions.flightaware.com/post195176.html#p195176

Note:
In above comparison, FA antenna used Filter+ProStic, while Cantenna used generic DVB-T. Later I replaced generic DVB-T (black) by Filter+ProStick, increasing performance of Cantenna by about 30%, but still FA antenna performs better (Message rate of FA antenna about 140% of Cantenna).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:05 am 

Eric, any update on when the antennas will be available?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 pm 

steveej wrote:

Ditto :) Some of us may be chomping at the bit!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:51 pm 
bigredwingfan - FlightAware user avatar

steveej wrote:

" As soon as we have updated information from the shipper we will provide updates on when to expect the antennas back in stock on Amazon."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:07 am 

Question wasn't to you. It was to someone in FlightAware.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:31 pm 
bigredwingfan - FlightAware user avatar

steveej wrote:
Question wasn't to you. It was to someone in FlightAware.

I realize that, but someone in flightaware already answered that question. That was his quote, less than 5 days ago.

So it seems when the info is available, they will tell us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:36 pm 

I still was not posted to you. You are not Flightaware.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:43 pm 
FlightAware Staff
obj - FlightAware user avatar

steveej wrote:
I still was not posted to you. You are not Flightaware.

I can quote the same text from Eric if it makes you happy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:08 pm 

Really? Jeeze.. Someone posts for a FA staff member, when the post was specific to the FA staff member and another FA staff member defends that? I know what Eric said 5 days ago. I also realize that things get forgotten and because of projects that are waiting for the FA antenna I need to plan on something THIS WEEK hence the inquiry. If that's the best that you can do then I guess I better plan on something else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:11 pm 
FlightAware Staff
obj - FlightAware user avatar

If you urgently need an antenna then yes, you should make other plans, because we don't have an ETA yet. When there is more info, Eric will post it. Snapping at people for answering your question won't magically fix the shipping problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm 

OBJ, I was not snapping. I simply was stating that the posters information was not relevant nor current or even from the person for which it was intended.

I was disappointed in your response though. But, hey.. That's life.

I will make other plans. Sorry I could not invest in more FA equipment.

Thank you for the feedback!

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:00 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 am 
AlpineMeadows - FlightAware user avatar

In preparation for buying this - was planning on mounting my Pi + Pro stick at the antenna itself with a POE connection to minimize cable losses but I've read that people have had better reception by NOT having the Pi so close to the antenna.

So, should this antenna be used with a length of cable attached vs having the Pi/Pro-stick connected right up to it to get max performance? (need to know what cable length I should get)

TIA
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:19 pm 
FlightAware Member
jonhawkes2030 - FlightAware user avatar

You can always reduce the gain on the dongle to cater for higher input power.
If reducing the gain doesn't help, then you can also add attenuators to reduce the power level.
I run two devices via POE with LMR400 coax cable and both devices run well. I run another two via POE in my basement.

Keeping the coax short, if available, is a great way to maximise your range.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:31 pm 
NeoDuder - FlightAware user avatar

AlpineMeadows wrote:
In preparation for buying this - was planning on mounting my Pi + Pro stick at the antenna itself with a POE connection to minimize cable losses but I've read that people have had better reception by NOT having the Pi so close to the antenna.

So, should this antenna be used with a length of cable attached vs having the Pi/Pro-stick connected right up to it to get max performance? (need to know what cable length I should get)

TIA
Dave

My antenna and Pi are installed in my loft. The antenna is 3 metres from the Pi. Originally I had a 3m USB lead and had the dongle connected directly to the antenna. Seemed to work ok.

I recently installed an Airband antenna next to the ADS-B antenna, this is connected to another dongle which is plugged directly into the Pi. The airband antenna is connected to the dongle via 3m of low loss coax (WF100). The performance was rather disappointing with a lot of noise and interference. I thought that perhaps the FlightAware dongle being so close was maybe interfering so I changed my setup to mimic the airband setup using another 3m of WF100. Not only did this solve my airband noise issue it also improved my ADS-B reception.

So I now have both antennas connected via 3m of WF100 back to both dongles which are plugged directly into the Pi. Seems to have the best performance for my particular setup. My performance graphs also show around a 4db drop in my noise floor after moving the dongle so it would appear that interference from the dongle affects the antenna if placed too close.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:40 pm 
FlightAware Member
jonhawkes2030 - FlightAware user avatar

Putting the dongles in metal cases can help. Ensure that there is a good ground connection at both ends.
I have all of my pro sticks and pro stick pluses in metal cases.
They have a few left at the rtl-sdr website store http://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/
FA dongles fit without any modification.

I use an RF-choke on 6"/15cm USB extension cables (I use quality USB3.0 cables to have better cabling and shielding, I hope).

The RPI itself can also be put into a metal case to reduce noise(in and out).
If the RPI is in an attic, consider one with a fan to keep it cool in the summer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 pm 
AlpineMeadows - FlightAware user avatar

Thanks guys, just what I needed to know. Was looking for a metal outdoor enclosure and in the end I think I'll attack this from 2 angles. Metal box under the eaves (no need to be waterproof) for the Pi and dongle and a ~10' cable from the dongle to an antenna.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:53 pm 
FlightAware Staff
ericcarlson - FlightAware user avatar

Antennas have been delivered (finally) from our supplier. They will start going out to retailers worldwide next week. I expect you will start to see them stocked in the next 1-2 weeks, just depending on how fast each retailer can take in the new inventory. Thanks for your patience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14