All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multilateration (MLAT) Data
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:22 am 
FlightAware Staff
ericcarlson - FlightAware user avatar

Hello everyone. I'm posting today to update the community on how we provide MLAT results to our data feeder users and clarify how you can use this data. For our long-time participants, you may already be familiar with most of this. We want to make sure everyone knows about this free service we provide and how we make that available to you. As you may know, providing MLAT calculation results back to PiAware/FlightFeeder users enables you to track many more aircraft in range of your receiver than you would otherwise be able to do with only ADS-B data.

FlightAware is pleased to make multilateration ("MLAT") aircraft position data ("MLAT results") available to PiAware and FlightFeeder network participants at no cost. FlightAware invests significantly in the hardware, software and network resources to provide this service as a benefit to users that feed data to FlightAware. In exchange for your participation, FlightAware freely licenses the use of the MLAT results data to you for your personal and non-commercial use as long as you are a data feeder to FlightAware. You may use the MLAT results in several ways:
  • Via the Skyview web site running on your PiAware or FlightFeeder device in the web browser of your choice.
  • Via the JSON file output used by the Skyview web site. (For use by advanced users; this is not formally supported by FlightAware.)
  • Via direct network connection to TCP port 30105 or 30106 within your local area network. (For use by advanced users; this is not formally supported by FlightAware.)

FlightAware does not allow redistribution of MLAT results data to third parties via any means for commercial use or consumption by the general public with the exception that you may share the Skyview user interface with other users if you choose. Sharing of the MLAT results data for commercial use or public consumption in formats such as JSON, Beast, Basestation or any other format is not permitted. Furthermore, any aggregation of FlightAware MLAT results with other data sources is not allowed except for your personal, non-commercial purposes.

Additionally, to maintain the quality of our data feeds and MLAT results, feeding of any data other than Mode A/C/S or ADS-B to the FlightAware network is not permitted. For example, you may not feed MLAT results back to FlightAware as if it were native ADS-B data. Other data sources such as ACARS or any data from third party sources may not be fed to FlightAware's ADS-B network.

This policy is to ensure the quality of our network and compatibility with our data processing infrastructure. Additionally, this policy enables us to continue to provide MLAT results as a free benefit to our network of over 13,000 sites and growing.

Thank you for your participation in the FlightAware ADS-B and MLAT network!

Post subject: Re: Multilateration (MLAT) Data
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:09 am 
davidglynn - FlightAware user avatar

Can someone put the above in simple english on what can and cannot be done? Thx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:23 am 
FlightAware Staff
ericcarlson - FlightAware user avatar

davidglynn wrote:
Can someone put the above in simple english on what can and cannot be done? Thx

The TL;DR is: do not distribute FlightAware MLAT results to third parties. In order to do this you would have to deliberately make custom modifications to your PiAware configuration so this is not something you are likely to do by accident.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:54 pm 
sarthilongani - FlightAware user avatar

ericcarlson wrote:

... about this free service we provide ...

...available to PiAware and FlightFeeder network participants at no cost...

...FlightAware freely licenses the use of the MLAT results data to you...

...provide MLAT results as a free benefit to our network of over 13,000 sites and growing.

Thank You for providing the free data, which, as per my limited knowledge, gets generated by contribution from the same 13,000 sites you are talking about (more than half of which I presume are free PiAware). And I am (obviously) able to see only that MLAT data back at home which my own site contributed for.

Rightly said, significant infrastructure and effort is applied from your end to provide this free data to me, and you have all the right to control its distribution.

But please, don't talk as if you are doing a favor to the 13,000 sites. You wouldn't be generating so much of MLAT data with only your servers, without the PiAwares (who also, incidentally, put in a lot of effort, monetary and otherwise, to keep it all running).

P.S.: I don't redistribute anything. I simply don't appreciate the tone of your policy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:07 am 
FlightAware Member
SoNic67 - FlightAware user avatar

In my opinion there is no "tone", it's just normal legal contractual language. Clear and at the point. They have built the infrastructure on the backend, they provided the software and even hardware in some cases. We do this purely for hobby, if it is for anything else (commercial or not), then the above rule needed to be said.

PS: I wish that we, as a society, are not so easily "offended" by words. We truly became a snowflake society.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:09 pm 
FlightAware Member
N456TS - FlightAware user avatar

sarthilongani wrote:
But please, don't talk as if you are doing a favor to the 13,000 sites.

You wouldn't have jack crap without FA's servers and effort. Dump1090 was junk before FA and Oliver made it really work. MLAT to your Pi didn't exist before. You're right about your limited knowledge. Your comments and attitude are completely out of line. You joined only a year ago. I'm pretty sure this was already policy then, due to another web site taking the data and doing absolutely stupid things with it. But, yea, let's talk about tone. Your tone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:17 am 
FlightAware Member
joelwiley - FlightAware user avatar

N456TS wrote:
Code:
You wouldn't have jack crap without FA's servers and effort.
Upthumb, Upvote comment

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:25 am 
evangelyul - FlightAware user avatar

Quote:
due to another web site taking the data and doing absolutely stupid things with it.

care to elaborate please ?

as for myself, I feel, I own and I control the data my system generates ( which then are being processed by FA - with my contribution) being the originator of the data.