Moving Pi with mutability - problem with location

Traveling cross country with site #3745 and have run into this issue a couple of times. Select location via garmin GPS, update /etc/default/dump1090-mutability with either dpkg-reconfigure or sudo nano, verify data entered correctly.

If I either restart mutability or do a sudo shutdown -r the location data does not seem to propagate to FlightAware and my stats on 250nm+ jumps ‘remarkably’. It only seems to refresh correctly after a power-off restart. To avoid garbage population, I update the file, do a power-off restart and only afterwards connect the antenna. No clue as to why this happened, glad to have a workable solution.

Ever so much better range than down in the valley at home!

piaware and the FA stats doesn’t actually use the location given to dump1090 at all; you need to configure it on the website.

dump1090 itself only uses the position from your local configuration for receiver-relative position decoding and for placing the center marker on the map. If this location is off by more than 90 miles or so then you might start seeing wrong initial positions for some aircraft.

faup1090 is given the position that is configured on the FA website (at the time that piaware connects), but it only uses it for surface decoding, where you only need to be within 45 degrees of the right location so in most cases it doesn’t matter to faup1090 that the receiver is moving.

One explanation for the range spikes is I’m not sure how often the stats processing checks for changes to receiver location, and a history of location changes isn’t kept so the latest position will be used even if stats is running slow and processing older data from a time where the receiver was somewhere else.

Thanks for the response. After reading thru it, it appears that it would be best to update the website with the new location and only then start up the pi.