MicroSD- Does it really matter?

So I took the plunge and orderd a Raspberry Pi despite the fact that I have absolutely ZERO programming experience. The directions on FlightAware seem straight forward, so I thought “why not?” However, when I ordered my materials, the link to the provided MicroSD card was broken or otherwise inventory was not available. This particular card was a SanDisk 16GB Extreme U3 Micro SDHC, which transfers data up to 60MB/sec. However, I ordered a SanDisk Ultra 16GB MicroSDHC Class 10, which transfer data at up to 30MB/sec. Will I be ok using this card, or do I need to stick with what’s recommended?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, am I ok using my wireless USB mouse and keyboard for initial set-up, or am I safer going with a wired config? I’m running out of USB slots since the antenna dongle is a bit on the larger side.

It should be fine, the install will just be a tad slower.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, am I ok using my wireless USB mouse and keyboard for initial set-up, or am I safer going with a wired config? I’m running out of USB slots since the antenna dongle is a bit on the larger side.

You shouldn’t need a keyboard/mouse for the setup. However, I imagine it’d work fine.

Thanks for the fast response! After re-reading the directions, I see now that I don’t have to use a keyboard or mouse. However, I plan on using a wifi configuration, and for that I need to log into the RPi. So would a wifi keyboard and mouse still work?

I think so…report back!

Roger, wilco! 8)

Wanted to report back and let you know that the wireless keyboard and mouse worked without issue. Set up was easy. I set up wifi with no issue, plugged in the antenna dongle and set the unit in the corner. A few minutes later, I get emails saying FlightAware has recognized the device and that it is tracking aircraft! So easy, and so rewarding! Thanks FlightAware. You rock! Now to find a more permanent place to put the unit…

Awesome! Thanks for the great feedback.